Iranian Wrestling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick summary up of our medalists.

I also really liked nokhodi at the 79kg who took gold with strong display over dangerous american. We had hosseinkhani at 74kg who was totally crap at olympics, could nokhodi 5kg and compete there successfully in the future? Americans had o'toole who easily took gold, we didnt have anybody in this weight class competing.

Hajilouiean in 92kg was super unlucky not to take gold vs american, losing late on, before that he had won 3x 10-0. Loved his technique. At 96kg in olympics we had very poor mohammadian who will probably not make another olympics. OFC there
    is also alireza karimi here who is in consideration. Our 96 kg who participated here abdollahi lost in very unlucky fashion in semi final, but managed to take bronze in the end. Will be interesting if we can be more competitive here bc after sadulaev there is a big drop off to guys like snyder, mohammadian, etc.

In 86kg (weight class of Yazdani) firouzpour really dominated the field.

Amouzad is a huge talent, think we could see him in norway even. He seems ready.

The big guy was inferior wrestler to last 2 opponents but mentally a fckin beast, super attitude. Still I think zare has that weight on lockdown probably for next decade unless something unexpected happens.

So overall out of 9 wrestlers, 7 medalled, 5 gold , 1 silver, 1 bronze.

Comment

Comment

Iran Captures 3 Golds, FS Team Title at Wrestle Ufa

UFA, Russia (August 18) – They waited six years for it but Iran finally reclaimed it. For the first time since 2015, Iran won the junior world team title and in style. With five gold medals, one silver and one bronze, Iran accumulated 178 points to win the top position in freestyle wrestling at the Junior World Championships in Ufa, Russia.

Two-time cadet world champion Rahman AMOUZADKHALILI (IRI) led the way with the gold medal at 61kg before former cadet world champion Amirhossein FIROUZPOURBANDPEI (IRI) and Ali AKBARPOURKHORDOUNI (IRI) won gold at 86kg and 125kg respectively.

Amouzadkhalili began the night with 9-3 win over two-time cadet Worlds bronze medalist RAVINDER (IND). The two had an intense battle in the first period with one stepout for Amouzadkhalili. Ravinder began the second period with a lift on counter and lead 2-1 but Amouzadkhalili quickly scored a takedown to take back the lead.

“I am good at working with collar ties and arm drags,” he said and used the same to up the pressure on the Indian. With the time running out, Amouzadkhalili scored a big four using an ankle pick which India challenged and lost. A stepout each gave them one point but gold went to Iran.

The 61kg wrestler's win was another step towards his transition to senior level in which he won a bronze medal at the 2020 Individual World Cup. He will now wrestle at the Oslo World Championships.

“I only wanted gold and I won it,” he said. “I go to Norway and I hope to win the gold there."

It was followed by Firouzpourbandpei's win which was on similar lines as he continued to pressure Rakhim MAGAMADOV (FRA) and ultimately won 10-0.

A stepout opened the scoring for him before a takedown made it 3-0. He led 4-0 at the end of the first period. His continued pressure and defense to Magamadov's attacks eventually tired the French wrestler and a series of takedowns ended the bout 10-0 with 1:15 seconds remaining.

He won the world title in 2019 and said he is a much better wrestler since and enjoyed winning his first junior world title.

“The feeling is totally different,” he said. “Back then, I was a child and inexperienced but this time was much more difficult and I like it better.”

About staying at 86kg which has Iran's top wrestler Hassan YAZDANI (IRI), Firouzpourbandpei said that he will wait and decide about it.

The day was capped with Akbarpourkhordouni's nail-biting win at 125kg. Trailing 2-4 in the second period, the Iran wrestler scored a stepout against 2021 junior Euro champion Lyova GEVORGYAN (ARM) but still trailed 3-4. With 12 seconds remaining, he took advantage of a tiring Gevorgyan and scored a stepout and lead 4-4, marking his third straight win in the dying seconds after the quarterfinal and semifinal.

“After eight years of hard training I am a champion,” he said. “Regarding the final, I watched his bouts so I know how to wrestle him.”

Explaining his strategy for the bout, he said that keeping up the pressure was important if he wanted to win.

“In first round, I put pressure on him to tire him and I could get points in the second period,” he said.

While he missed the chance to be on the team to Oslo, the new junior world champ is looking to improve and make the next Iran team.

“This competition pushed me up one step but it is not the last step,” he said. “I am hoping to be at U23 World Championship and take same [gold] medal

“I learned too much from this competition and it pushed me up to one level but I need to learn and train more for senior level and Olympic Games.”

https://uww.org/article/iran-capture...4kg-domination

Comment

Comment

Already making comparisons between Amouzad and Yazdani

Comment

When's Greco-Roman?

Comment

Greco starts today

Comment

Comment

Our GR athletes at Ufa:

55kg: Dehbozorgi (Israeli in bracket)
                    60kg: Esmaili (Israeli in bracket)
                    63kg: Mohamadi
                    67kg: Sohrabi (Israeli in bracket)
                    72kg: Abdi (Israeli in bracket)
                    77kg: Azarmdokht (Israeli in bracket)
                    82kg: Nagoushi
                    87kg: Abedidarzi
                    97kg: Algoshi
                    130kg: Bayat

Hoping we don't have to deal with any drama with pulling boys if facing Israel. It will be a huge blow to these boys, and potentially to our entire wrestling federation.

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
                      Our GR athletes at Ufa:

Hoping we don't have to deal with any drama with pulling boys if facing Israel. It will be a huge blow to these boys, and potentially to our entire wrestling federation.
                      Oh NOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Yes, they will look for every opportunity to punish us, given also the huge influence of Israel everywhere.
                        Sign against banning Iran from WorldCup!!!
                        http://new.petitiononline.com/IRANWC06/petition.html

Comment

Greco-Roman so far:
                          Dehbozorgi finals
                          Mohammadi repechage (potential bronze)
                          Azarmdokht repechage (potential bronze)
                          Abedidarzi did not qualify
                          Bayat repechage (potential bronze)

Not terrible but not as good as Freestyle. Anyone know if there are any more matches today?

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
                            Our GR athletes at Ufa:

I wish one of these a**holes who is responsible for this stupid policy by Iran, would be forced to stop their career and dreams for something just as stupid so they could realize the damage it does on a personal level, let alone national and international.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                              I wish one of these a**holes who is responsible for this stupid policy by Iran, would be forced to stop their career and dreams for something just as stupid so they could realize the damage it does on a personal level, let alone national and international.
                              I would let athletes decide. They should not be forced or told what to do.

I would not wrestle them for what they have done to the helpless people, our country, and how they manipulate the world news to their advantage and constantly cry for being mistreated.

Many of these people sing, drink, and dance during Purim. Check out Purim.
                              Last edited by AIrani; 08-20-2021, 09:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
                              چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد

Comment

LOL. We gotta get some boys in this sport too!

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (August 20) -- The Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC) has named wrestling, with the specific discipline of Beach Wrestling, as one of nine sports to its core program for both the 2023 and 2025 ANOC World Beach Games.

https://uww.org/article/beach-wrestl...ld-beach-games

Comment

Working...
                                X