FIFA World Cup 2022 draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amas20 View Post
    Did we not want to go to the world cup to play the likes of Germany, Brazil etc? Or should we hide like a mouse and hope for a fluke?
    We want to play them when we qualify for the knockout stage

Comment

Germany or the Netherlands are the teams we want to avoid from pot 2, any other scenario COULD be manageable.

Getting a strong team from pot 1 could potentially be beneficial. Imagine a top team winning its first two games against two of Irans main competitors and by then already won the group before playing Iran in the final game. That could possibly be better than playing against a top seed that struggles against all the teams in the group and needs a win in its final game.

Also remember, since World Cup 1998, only once have a World Cup winner managed to go through from the group stage in the following World Cup - Brazil in 2006 after winning in 2002. France in 2002, Italy in 2010, Spain in 2014 and Germany in 2018 all failed to go through. If the curse stays then France is doomed this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Farzadfarhangni View Post
        I was in Russia too and thought like you after the completion of the games. But upon further reflection, I feel that we were too nervous against Morocco, way over estimated Spain and finally were in a better state of mind in the must win game against Portugal.

As far as players trying hard and leaving everything on the pitch, I would hope that they do that every single time they wear a team melli jersey. The question is what state of mind are they in. I feel our players are already too passionate and emotional and they always feel the weight of the whole nation on their shoulders. Some of CQ's "You are worriers, etc.." only adds to that. I actually liked the temperament of Jalal Talebi for our players. The players showed up for every game, of course, but they were less tense and played closer to their full potential. Who knows, maybe Taremi would have scored that last chance against Portugal if he felt less pressure.
        What you are describing is a direct result of the players not having experience at that level, nothing more. We wasted half an hour at the start of every game not connecting 3 passes not because of the system, but because the players were not comfortable with the atmosphere and level of the opposition. As soon as they calmed down and realized they could play and compete at this level we pushed back morocco and started imposing our own counter attacks (see azmoun, ansarifard chances) and totally nullified their threat, we took the game to Spain to the point where amiri was megging pique, and similar situation vs Portugal where they were barely hanging on in the end.

Taremi wouldn’t have felt so much pressure if he wasn’t playing in al kooft in lead up to wc. Had nothing to do with CQ. That’s why he encouraged all the players to go to Europe if possible.

Comment

So, Iran definitely cannot be drawn with Peru in Pot 4 (since Peru is playing winner of UAE v. Australia). See below please for example why:

"Because the playoffs won't happen until June, months after the draw, the geographical restrictions mentioned above also apply to the playoff placeholders — meaning the U.S. cannot draw the Costa Rica-New Zealand winner, even if it ultimately is New Zealand."

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cup-d...214612735.html

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
            What you are describing is a direct result of the players not having experience at that level, nothing more. We wasted half an hour at the start of every game not connecting 3 passes not because of the system, but because the players were not comfortable with the atmosphere and level of the opposition. As soon as they calmed down and realized they could play and compete at this level we pushed back morocco and started imposing our own counter attacks (see azmoun, ansarifard chances) and totally nullified their threat, we took the game to Spain to the point where amiri was megging pique, and similar situation vs Portugal where they were barely hanging on in the end.

Taremi wouldn’t have felt so much pressure if he wasn’t playing in al kooft in lead up to wc. Had nothing to do with CQ. That’s why he encouraged all the players to go to Europe if possible.
            100% agree with your point on experience... But you don't think a coach influences the tension that players feel. I feel that CQ created a David vs Goliath situation instead of calming the players and saying that you guys are good enough. Why would Amiri not feel comfortable megging pique from the very first minute?

Comment

100% agree with your point on experience... But you don't think a coach influences the tension that players feel. I feel that CQ created a David vs Goliath situation instead of calming the players and saying that you guys are good enough. Why would Amiri not feel comfortable megging pique from the very first minute?
              The David v. Goliath thing he would do was in front of the media (to actually take pressure off of the team); I doubt that's what he would tell them in the locker room or in day to day interactions.

It's like any other situation in life...if you lack experience in a setting, you will be nervous/out of your element; if you have lots of experience, the nerves won't be there as much.

This time around, players like Azmoun and Taremi who experienced the pressure and setting of the last WC will likely be in a much better mindset from the get-go (especially having also played in high-pressure Champions Leagues games over the last few years).

Comment

I think at the end of the day I’d rather play teams we haven’t in a competitive setting before, or at least for a long time. That means I don’t want Argentina, Portugal, etc.
                Also we could get an “easier group” and still not qualify for next round, or we can get a hard group and see some historic and incredibly exciting games for TM. Just food for thought
                I think Swiss would be a good draw for us as well, Mexican team would be tough due to their style of play. I don’t want USA that much because I’d rather keep that 1998 win forever

Comment

Spain
                  USA
                  Iran
                  New Zealand

Final positions
                  Spain
                  Iran
                  USA
                  New Zealand

Comment

Amiri actually said this of Cq. He was so fearful of making a mistake he felt restricted and worried. Everyone was always made to be better, stronger, more skilled than us that we had no room to be creative and play to our own talents.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
                    Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Group of death
                      Brazil
                      Germany
                      Iran
                      Cameroon

Or
                      France
                      Germany
                      Iran
                      Ecuador

Comment

Am I crazy for kind of wanting Brazil? I feel like they’re beatable
                        Team Meli Iran
                        Perspolis FC
                        Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Whilst it’s true England will always be overrated by their own media I don’t think this England side is one we want to face.

Their depth and variety of attacking mids is up there with the best in the world at the moment and the mix of direct pace and creativity from the likes of Sterling/Saka/Foden/Mount/Grealish and even the underrated Smith Rowe would cause our full backs particular problems. Allied with the options they have from right back against our weaker left hand side then I think they’d cause us more problems than we would have against other teams or they would cause against some more robust and physical defensive set ups.

Their central defence means they won’t challenge for the WC but with Bellingham and Rice getting better all the time they’re addressing their cm problems and are around the middle of that Pot 1 rankings for me. I’d prefer playing against the slower build up of the weaker Portugal or even the potentially stronger Argentina or Spain than England as others have pointed out they’re more likely to beat other teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
                            Id like brazil aswell but also england would be interesting.
                            Supporting Team Melli

Comment

More beatable than South Korea?

Comment

Every team is beatable. North Korea defeated and eliminated 2 time champion Italy in 1966 WC to reach the quarterfinals.

But with Skocic in charge that would take a miracle.

Comment

Working...
                                X