This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
    We almost didn't make the second round of AFC qualifying after that home loss to Jordan in the preliminary round.
    We almost failed to qualify to the WC 2014 after home lose against Uzbekistan. What is your point?

He had three consecutive losses against Jordan in August 2002, September 2003 and June 2004 (at home in WCQ)
    Lost against Kuwait 3-1 in December 2003, lost against Iraq at home in August 2003
    Lost against Korea 2-0 in 2005, Lost against Japan in 2005
    What? Branko lost to Jordan only once. From 2002-2006, we lost to Jordan only two times. Regard the first loss, we had a caretaker coach Homayoun Shahrokhi not Branko Ivankovic. Branko lost to Jordan only once but he made it up by wining the second leg match against Jordan.

Losing to Kuwait? Losing to Iraq? Those were friendly matches of our U-23 team. As you know Branko Ivankovic first managed our U-23 team before being appointed as our senior head coach. Losing 2-0 to Korea in Seoul? Well that was a friendly match. Losing 2-1 to Japan in Japan? Well we qualified to the WC 2006 before that match and he used the bench players in that game. Also he beat Japan in Tehran and never lost 3-0 to Japan and any other Asian side.

I am not Branko Ivankovic fan at all but I do not accept CQ as a good head coach at all. Yes he is a popular name but never a successful head coach. He is an amazing assistant manager.

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
      In a group with Japan, North Korea, and Bahrain where the top 2 automatically qualify.

We almost were eliminated the round prior. I don't know what you mean by "Comfortable" but we were twice in danger of being eliminated in the first round. 10 minutes away from elimination against Jordan.... 2 minutes away from being eliminated vs Qatar.
      He knew how to win the games when we were behind. Can you mention one game under CQ management that we won when we conceded the first goal?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarbaze-Vatan View Post
        Regard the first loss, we had a caretaker coach Homayoun Shahrokhi not Branko Ivankovic.
        No, it was Branko Ivankovic. Stop lying https://www.persianleague.com/488-10...tuns%20Iran%20
        Stop lying again and again

We almost failed to qualify to the WC 2014 after home lose against Uzbekistan. What is your point?
        My point is that your statement that we qualified "comfortably" is absolute BS. Do you want me to make it more clear for you?

As you know Branko Ivankovic first managed our U-23 team before being appointed as our senior head coach
        That is not true, he managed the national team in officially recognised full national team games, and THEN took over officially designated U23 games for the final part of the year. I remember those games vividly as he brought in some new players for the new iteration of TM (just like any coach would) but still had the spine of experienced players. I've even posted the squads from that year before he took the U23 squad to the Asian Games as per teammelli.com and FIFA and yet you still repeat this lie? Unbelievable.

I am not Branko Ivankovic fan at all but I do not accept CQ as a good head coach at all.
        Your post history is immensely contrary to your statement.

Comment

I dont know why people like to compare CQ with Branco but with CQ we also lost to Lebanon, Uzbekistan, Japan, tied Qatar, lost to Iraq and lost 3-0 to Japan. With CQ we also "barely" qualifed to 2014 WC, we had two lucky wins against korea and one lucky win against Uzb…. Anyway whats the Point to compare. We should be happy we Went to WC 2006 and 2014/2018 regardles of whom was the coach.

Comment

He knew how to win the games when we were behind. Can you mention one game under CQ management that we won when we conceded the first goal?
            How exactly did he cause the come back in those games? Under CQ we did not spend a lot of games behind while under Branko we wouldn't wake up until we were already behind.

In terms of comfortableness and "knows how to comeback"... One was a fairly route1 header by Nikbakht(who is not a targetman) and the other was against a pre-South American XI Qatar with a 92nd minute Hashemian goal. Comfortable was me watching Iran v South Korea in Azadi when they failed to put a shot on target or when a 10man Iran doesnt get scored on in Seoul. 2006 was anything but comfortable.

Comment

No, it was Branko Ivankovic. Stop lying https://www.persianleague.com/488-10...tuns%20Iran%20
              Stop lying again and again
              Come on
              I did not count the meaningless west Asian games or friendly matches. Why do you count them?

My point is that your statement that we qualified "comfortably" is absolute BS. Do you want me to make it more clear for you?
              Branko Ivankovic only lost one game before we qualified to the WC but you said he struggled against Asian/Arab teams. So what you said is BS. Yes Branko qualified us comfortably after the first round. I meant he qualified us comfortably from our final round group.

That is not true, he managed the national team in officially recognised full national team games, and THEN took over officially designated U23 games for the final part of the year. I remember those games vividly as he brought in some new players for the new iteration of TM (just like any coach would) but still had the spine of experienced players. I've even posted the squads from that year before he took the U23 squad to the Asian Games as per teammelli.com and FIFA and yet you still repeat this lie? Unbelievable.
              Anyway why do you put so much focus on friendly matches to assess a coach?

Your post history is immensely contrary to your statement.
              I like Branko Ivankovic but really not his fan. At the same time I believe CQ can never be a very successful head coach for any senior team in the world.

Comment

Branko Ivankovic comfortably qualified us to the WC 2006. Also he beat Japan. He did not lost 3-0 to Japan or any other Asian team.
                And how many points did TM get in WC 2006 group stage? It certainly wasn't 4, and we certainly didn't tie Ronaldo's (and Figo's) Portugal in 2006!

Comment

At the same time I believe CQ can never be a very successful head coach for any senior team in the world.
                  While I agree with you about some of the things you say about Branko, why do you say this?

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
                    And how many points did TM get in WC 2006 group stage? It certainly wasn't 4, and we certainly didn't tie Ronaldo's (and Figo's) Portugal in 2006!
                    While you can say we were very unlucky not to win against Portugal in 2018 (Taremi's unlucky last minute shot), the opposite is true too. We were quite lucky to draw them. You can argue our penalty wasn't really a penalty. That incident with the arm is easily overlooked by most referees in most games. Ronaldo's penalty shot was not good at all (even though I give huge credit to Beyranvand for saving it) and we were very lucky to win against a clearly better Morocco.

The point I'm trying to make is, the results of the games are not necessarily a good measurement for comparison between 2 coaches. The players are different, the era are different, even the opponents are different. The only thing that was similar between Portugal of 2006 and 2018, was C. Ronaldo. What really distinguished CQ from Branko though, was the former's way of taking care of TM, even if he had to start a fight with the authorities. The authoritarian personality that he had which Iranians desperately need and the confidence he gave the players to stand up against any team, specially the Arab teams against whom they always struggled.

Everything else from tactics and player selection to results, is not relevant in the discussion of different eras!

Comment

Originally posted by naderb94 View Post
                      What's even scarier is that Branko had the likes of Karimi, Mahdavikia, Hashemian, Daei and still struggled against Arab teams while CQ simply dominated Arab/Korean teams with sub-par to above average talent that were simply disciplined.
                      LOL at the math! 7 legionnaires in Branko's team vs 18 legionnaires in CQ's team. Branko's team the 4 people everyone keeps mentioning were injured before the world cup. Again we see ridiculous and incorrect statements from the CQ fans who close their eyes to all facts to an all time record troll level. And if by CQ dominated arab teams you mean he beat Qatar and UAE well we have only lost once in our history against Qatar in an official game and have never lost to UAE. CQ was the only coach not to make it past group stage at WAFF a minnows tournament that others won while he exited in the first stage. Oh yeah and he also lost to ISIS twice! That in itself deserves a roasting.

Comment

Stats and dyscalculia are a horrible combination.
                        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Getting back to TM news. For the fourth time, Taj failed (see https://www.varzesh3.com/news/161038...-لیگ-است) to keep his promise on the new TM head coach announcement and now he says before FIFA day. The little credibility he had in my mind is now lost. I now fully realize what CQ went through dealing with Taj. He pretends to be a person of his word but he is just a master joggler with no integrity. He is now saying the future coach is observing the league games and when the reporter asks so you have chosen a coach he says no I guess he thinks he could contradict himself in the same interview and get away with it. Future of TM and now after letting Kranchar go the future of the Olympic team remain uncertain. This is the story of IRI, amazing potentials of a great people wasted by mismanagement of ideological hacks who are not even good in image acrobatics.

Comment

Originally posted by Futbaldoost View Post
                            Getting back to TM news. For the fourth time, Taj failed (see https://www.varzesh3.com/news/161038...-لیگ-است) to keep his promise on the new TM head coach announcement and now he says before FIFA day. The little credibility he had in my mind is now lost. I now fully realize what CQ went through dealing with Taj. He pretends to be a person of his word but he is just a master joggler with no integrity. He is now saying the future coach is observing the league games and when the reporter asks so you have chosen a coach he says no I guess he thinks he could contradict himself in the same interview and get away with it. Future of TM and now after letting Kranchar go the future of the Olympic team remain uncertain. This is the story of IRI, amazing potentials of a great people wasted by mismanagement of ideological hacks who are not even good in image acrobatics.
                            I won't blame Taj. I am sure they are offering a high salary and trying to get a good coach. Once any respectable coach figures out how they will get paid, how they have to deal with our government and the issues CQ had they literally back out. The team melli position is certain failure for any coach that comes in. There is nothing Iran at its current state can do to be better than CQ tenure.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what some of you guys will say (or if any at all) when Taj appoints a good foreign coach.

The man has fulfilled any promise he's made so far, yet there are still doubters who always want to bring negativity. Never has IFF achieved as much as during his reign. Give the guy a beak and have faith! When he says the coach will be a good one, have faith in him that it will be!

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                                While you can say we were very unlucky not to win against Portugal in 2018 (Taremi's unlucky last minute shot), the opposite is true too. We were quite lucky to draw them. You can argue our penalty wasn't really a penalty. That incident with the arm is easily overlooked by most referees in most games. Ronaldo's penalty shot was not good at all (even though I give huge credit to Beyranvand for saving it) and we were very lucky to win against a clearly better Morocco.
                                The point I'm trying to make is, the results of the games are not necessarily a good measurement for comparison between 2 coaches. The players are different, the era are different, even the opponents are different. The only thing that was similar between Portugal of 2006 and 2018, was C. Ronaldo. What really distinguished CQ from Branko though, was the former's way of taking care of TM, even if he had to start a fight with the authorities. The authoritarian personality that he had which Iranians desperately need and the confidence he gave the players to stand up against any team, specially the Arab teams against whom they always struggled.
                                Everything else from tactics and player selection to results, is not relevant in the discussion of different eras!
                                How were we Lucky to draw Portugal when Quaresma's goal was a Lucky shot? Other than that they had 0 chances, while we had a few big chances. We were slightly better than Portugal and should've beaten them.

Comment

Working...
                                X