No announcement yet.

UAE v Qatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For next world cup I expect to see Xavi predicting games instead of an octopus or a cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
      Therefore USA says whoever speaks against or protests against this Iranian ban will be punished by law.
      Your analogy is incomplete because the UAE law did not confine the punishment to protests against the Qatari ban. It punishes any support whatsoever for Qatar.

Again, I am basically repeating the same things, UAE did all of the above, did say whoever shows acts of support to the Qataris or the nation of Qatar is a punishable act.
      That was the only point I made: that the law is very broad, even if the UAE authorities did not enforce it as broadly as the drafting (as you claimed, which I did not dispute).

As the other gentleman member also stated and I am stating myself, we know people who supported Qatar against UAE, on social media and inside Cafes, bistros, bars, pubs, etc. I myself supported Qatar and nothing has happened to anyone. It is not a crime to support a national team in football, whether it may be Qatar or it may be Israel NT. There is no such law here.
      You're failing to grasp the distinction between the existence and the government's choice of enforcing a law.

The law does exist that bans support for Qatar. It's extremely broad. The attorney general and statute make that clear. The fact that you don't know anyone who supported Qatar's national team being arrested merely means that it appears the government has (wisely, I add) chosen not to enforce its ridiculous law with respect to large international sporting events (even if technically illegal under the UAE's laws). I never disputed the latter point. I confine my points to verifiable facts.
      Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
        The result of the final aside. Many pundits are saying Qatar could go onto be the first Asian team to win the World Cup! Although I believe this is fanciful after a single tournament I think Aspire Academy will at the very least ensure Qatar qualifies for the WC for at least the next 2-3 times.
        Any such pundit should stop being a pundit.

Comment

UAE v Qatar

Originally posted by RaginG Inferno View Post
          Your analogy is incomplete because the UAE law did not confine the punishment to protests against the Qatari ban. It punishes any support whatsoever for Qatar.

That was the only point I made: that the law is very broad, even if the UAE authorities did not enforce it as broadly as the drafting (as you claimed, which I did not dispute).

You're failing to grasp the distinction between the existence and the government's choice of enforcing a law.

The law does exist that bans support for Qatar. It's extremely broad. The attorney general and statute make that clear. The fact that you don't know anyone who supported Qatar's national team being arrested merely means that it appears the government has (wisely, I add) chosen not to enforce its ridiculous law with respect to large international sporting events (even if technically illegal under the UAE's laws). I never disputed the latter point. I confine my points to verifiable facts.
          You are yet to provide verifiable facts about the subject of conversation. And you keep avoiding the point I make. There is a specific subject. We were not disputing over UAE Qatar relations, we were talking about people supporting Qatar over UAE in Dubai. And I stand by what I wrote, it is not a criminal offense to support Qatar over UAE and nobody goes to jail. You might be very well versed with the law structure but I’m still waiting to see a verifiable source over the topic of dispute. Not UAE/Qatar relations.

Edit:

I completely understand all the things you wrote above and you mean to say that UAE does not necessarily have to invoke the rule of supporting Qatar in a football match and that they’ve been lenient with punishable rule but however let me give you an example.

In UAE, it is a punishable offense to insult anyone, even if it’s a minor thing like “heyvoon, bishoor” or any of the small things people might use on a daily basis. If you are able to prove that you’ve been insulted by a witness, the other person can be charged, arrested or deported depending on the degree of harm caused.

A couple of years ago, UAE passed a new law, an article claiming that WhatsApp chat logs, social media apps etc. are also a medium acceptable by court to justify ones case of being insulted. So people be aware and do not be naive enough to think WhatsApp will not share chat logs.

Under any such circumstance, UAE legislation would definitely issue a warning to all expats in the country to be wary of posting social media content in support of Qatar, carrying flags, etc. Youd have to live here to understand how these people control the awareness of new laws and routines so people do not get themselves into trouble. With all the things said, there is no evidence of a punishable crime to support Qatar in the AFC and the link posted to justify the source was false information and misleading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's AFC. Nothing will happen.

Comment

Working...
            X