This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by naderb94 View Post
    I am just laughing at these people defending Brangoh as if he's the better coach lol... Yeahhh please go read a book on the basics of football
    I wouldn't say Branko is a better coach, but he definitely isn't as annoying as CQ. He also doesn't scape-goat as much as CQ does.

It's gotten to a point that Iran can get knocked out in the group stage in the Asian Cup, and people will still find a way to blame anyone but CQ.

If any vatani coach create the drama CQ creates, they'd be hated as much as Ghalenoei is.

Comment

Originally posted by tooleh khers View Post
      Yes 4 points is better than 1 point in a group but is that better than an Asian games Gold? Is it better than an Asian cup third? to me its not. Stats that matter are top 3 finishes, advancements, qualifications.
      Didn't he win it as a U23 tournament?
      I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Every coach has their style. It can also be argued that we would not have the world top scorer title nor 90% of Karimi's brilliance without Branko and most possibly CQ would not have had neither in his team.
        this has probably been mentioned many times, but Branko had players coming from Bayern Munchen, Hamburg, FC Kaiserslautern, Hannover 96, VfL Bochum, Messina and 2 future La Liga players in Nekounam and Shojaei on the roster. Never in the history of our national team did we ever have 6 players playing in top leagues in Europe. What did CQ have in his arsenal ? One great player in Dejagah and a 33 year old Nekounam. People were excited over Daniel Davari playing for a team that today is in the Bundesliga 3 ..... that's how desperate we were.

While we should rate him above the typical vatani coaches, overall, he was a disappointment. A spineless coach more worried about keeping his job than making unpopular decisions.

He lost control of the team in WC. We had a washed up Daei who used his influence to take valuable minutes away from Hashemian, a legitimate scorer in the bundesliga. We had a player who refused to enter a WC game. Let that sink in.
        “It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Comment

Not CQ. He had the worst finish with Iran in Asian cup in all of Iran's history. Even worst finish than the time we didnt advance from the groups.
          So we are clear on what 20+ means?
          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
            Didn't he win it as a U23 tournament?
            Yes correct. Mostly U23 with spots for few seniors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footba..._%E2%80%93_Men

Comment

Originally posted by OFFSIDE_1 View Post
              this has probably been mentioned many times, but Branko had players coming from Bayern Munchen, Hamburg, FC Kaiserslautern, Hannover 96, VfL Bochum, Messina and 2 future La Liga players in Nekounam and Shojaei on the roster. Never in the history of our national team did we ever have 6 players playing in top leagues in Europe. What did CQ have in his arsenal ? One great player in Dejagah and a 33 year old Nekounam. People were excited over Daniel Davari playing for a team that today is in the Bundesliga 3 ..... that's how desperate we were.
              While we should rate him above the typical vatani coaches, overall, he was a disappointment. A spineless coach more worried about keeping his job than making unpopular decisions.
              He lost control of the team in WC. We had a washed up Daei who used his influence to take valuable minutes away from Hashemian, a legitimate scorer in the bundesliga. We had a player who refused to enter a WC game. Let that sink in.
              Unfortunately we were hit by many injuries right before the start. Karimi, Zandi, Mahdavikia..were injured. I also agree this was our best team however the CQ team in 2018 and 2014 had the most legionnaires. Coaches have different approaches. Some are disciplinarians and some less so. both have their advantages. With CQ it is very unlikely that we would have had Daei and Karimi in that team.

Comment

Yes correct. Mostly U23 with spots for few seniors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footba..._%E2%80%93_Men
                I don't put much stock in youth tournaments. The 8-0ers and players wearing qatari jerseys have won world youth championships but in soccer terms they are nothing.

Comment

So we are clear on what 20+ means?
                  Yes and this is what is so disappointing about CQ results. That so many coaches got us to the semis while he didnt. This is often the point I try to make that Iran's football level is high and the results obtained by CQ is what we are capable and have always achieved even with vatani coaches and a lot less investment. He simply has not delivered as his fans would like to claim.

Comment

Yes and this is what is so disappointing about CQ results. That so many coaches got us to the semis while he didnt. This is often the point I try to make that Iran's football level is high and the results obtained by CQ is what we are capable and have always achieved even with vatani coaches and a lot less investment. He simply has not delivered as his fans would like to claim.
                    No vatani coach has earned us 4 points at the World Cup or taken us to two consecutive World Cups.

Comment

I don't put much stock in youth tournaments. The 8-0ers and players wearing qatari jerseys have won world youth championships but in soccer terms they are nothing.
                      Well I dont put much stock in a 1-0 defeat to Argentina. By many expert opinions that Asian games gold was the last international tournament we won. Saudis wining a youth gold is huge and what separates them from us. They have shown that they can while we have not. Also in 2014 and 2018 qualifiers CQ had the luxury of not having the Saudis in his group. We have always beaten Uzbekistan and Qatar and have been competitive with Korea but Saudi is one of the teams that always caused us problems.

Comment

Well I dont put much stock in a 1-0 defeat to Argentina. By many expert opinions that Asian games gold was the last international tournament we won. Saudis wining a youth gold is huge and what separates them from us. They have shown that they can while we have not. Also in 2014 and 2018 qualifiers CQ had the luxury of not having the Saudis in his group. We have always beaten Uzbekistan and Qatar and have been competitive with Korea but Saudi is one of the teams that always caused us problems.
                        I don't put much stock in the loss to Argentina either but it was worth more than youth results. Youth results don't mean much.

Comment

I don't put much stock in the loss to Argentina either but it was worth more than youth results. Youth results don't mean much.
                          We disagree. Also The Asian games was not merely a youth tournament. It was U23 with a mix of seniors. we had Daei, Korea had many of their stars from the world cup and was hosting the tournament. I take the Team Melli performance in 1998 over our 2018 performance albeit 1 point less an an own goal away from 4.

Comment

We disagree. Also The Asian games was not merely a youth tournament. It was U23 with a mix of seniors. we had Daei, Korea had many of their stars from the world cup and was hosting the tournament. I take the Team Melli performance in 1998 over our 2018 performance albeit 1 point less an an own goal away from 4.
                            Three senior players and 20 U23 players.

Comment

Three senior players and 20 U23 players.
                              Yes but look at the squads. It is mainly the national teams. Mostly from Korea's great world cup performance.

1 GK Lee Woon-jae
                              2 DF Cho Byung-kuk
                              3 MF Hyun Young-min
                              4 DF Park Yo-seb
                              5 DF Kim Young-chul
                              6 DF Park Yong-ho
                              7 MF Byun Sung-hwan
                              8 MF Kim Do-heon
                              9 FW Lee Chun-soo
                              10 MF Park Ji-sung
                              11 FW Choi Tae-uk
                              12 MF Lee Young-pyo
                              13 MF Kim Dong-jin
                              14 FW Park Kyu-seon
                              15 DF Cho Sung-hwan
                              16 GK Kim Yong-dae
                              17 FW Choi Sung-kuk
                              18 FW Kim Eun-jung
                              19 DF Park Dong-hyuk
                              20 FW Lee Dong-gook
                              Rosters:
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footba...2%80%93_Squads

Comment

1 GK Lee Woon-jae
                                2 DF Cho Byung-kuk
                                3 MF Hyun Young-min
                                4 DF Park Yo-seb
                                5 DF Kim Young-chul
                                6 DF Park Yong-ho
                                7 MF Byun Sung-hwan
                                8 MF Kim Do-heon
                                9 FW Lee Chun-soo
                                10 MF Park Ji-sung
                                11 FW Choi Tae-uk
                                12 MF Lee Young-pyo
                                13 MF Kim Dong-jin
                                14 FW Park Kyu-seon
                                15 DF Cho Sung-hwan
                                16 GK Kim Yong-dae
                                17 FW Choi Sung-kuk
                                18 FW Kim Eun-jung
                                19 DF Park Dong-hyuk
                                20 FW Lee Dong-gook
                                Rosters:
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footba...2%80%93_Squads
                                Can you also post their ages at the time of the tournament?

Comment

Working...
                                X