Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"S. Korea coach says team must win out at home to qualify for World Cup
    2016/09/08

INCHEON, Sept. 8 (Yonhap) -- After taking just one of their first two matches in the Asian World Cup qualification, South Korea must win out at home to have a chance to play in the big tournament, their coach said Thursday.

Uli Stielike returned home from Malaysia, where South Korea only managed a scoreless draw with Syria, a heavy underdog ranked outside the top 100. South Korea had earlier beat China 3-2 at home, and now have four points to sit in third place in Group A of the final Asian qualifying round for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Uzbekistan are leading the way with six points. Iran also have four points but have a better goal difference than South Korea. Teams each have eight matches remaining.

Speaking to reporters at Incheon International Airport, Stielike said a country needs at least 22 points to qualify for the World Cup.

There are six teams in each of the two groups in the current round, and only the top two nations from each earn automatic World Cup berths.

"We picked up a point (against Syria), but it's as if we actually lost two points," Stielike said of the team's mediocre performance. "Looking at 22 points as the minimum required to qualify, we'll have to collect 18 more points. And it's become extremely important to win all four matches remaining at home."

South Korea will next host Qatar on Oct. 6 and will face Iran in Tehran five days later. Stielike said he's not looking past the Qatar match.

"During the final qualifying round for the Brazil World Cup, we struggled to beat Qatar 2-1 at home," Steilike said. "We have to play a better match."

South Korea built a 3-0 lead over China before letting the opponents get back two goals. And they couldn't solve Syria despite dominating the ball possession, and even allowed dangerous counterattack chances on the other end.

"It's important not to repeat the same mistakes," the coach said. "We need to have more poise and precision near the goal. We'll make necessary adjustments to reach the point total that we need."

The South Koreans visibly tired in the second half against Syria, and Stielike defended them, saying his Europe-based starters might not have been in top form because their club seasons had just started.

"Besides, we made so many technical mistakes that we made life difficult on ourselves," Stielike added."

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/cult...001300315.html

Comment

Qatar coach Carreno has been sacked

http://www.alkass.net/alkass/news_de...news_id=114019

Comment

Originally posted by 04041374 View Post

Qatar could hire Mourinho, Guardiola, or Ancelotti and they still won't get anywhere. Like my man Azmoun said, ina k gheyrat nadaran

Comment

why am i not surprised, now some qatari will become a intern coach, hope they lose this one also

Comment

I think he was a pretty good coach for Qatari standards.

Comment

I like that. Now they will be all chaos, we must also get the 3 points against them again.

Comment

That new manager boost will hopefully get them a point (or three) against the Koreans. Or, alternatively, they'll continue to be the same useless bunch of mercenary footballers they always have been and hand us a simple 3 points in March

Comment

I hope the Qataris pick it up against South Korea. It would be very embarassing if they dont manage to score in the first 3 games and go pointless with a third of qualifying done.

They could at least help us out by messing with South Korea.

Comment

In all honesty Carreno was a good coach for them, they played one their better footballs I have ever seen of them in both their lost matches. I guess they just got unlucky in all honesty.

All Qatar football needs is a big reality check, followed by realization and admitting that their football all together is not what they think it is and should be. As a matter of fact they're far from what and where they think they should be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
                      I hope the Qataris pick it up against South Korea. It would be very embarassing if they dont manage to score in the first 3 games and go pointless with a third of qualifying done.

They could at least help us out by messing with South Korea.
                      Remember this

Comment

Originally posted by PersianLegion View Post
                        Remember this

True. They are sneaky. But it wont look so pretty to their case if they go 3 games without a point. I think theyll forge a tie with the ref this game.

Comment

Originally posted by PersianLegion View Post
                          Remember this

This game is the ultimate proof that no team in AFC can't be trusted and they will all turn against Iran when there are a certain group of filthy people who can't stand Iran being successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiarash View Post
                            This game is the ultimate proof that no team in AFC can't be trusted and they will all turn against Iran when there are a certain group of filthy people who can't stand Iran being successful.

.... and that ultimately everything is in own hands no matter what the other teams try to do against us !

Comment

Son 2 goals today for Tottenham

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboor View Post
                                Son 2 goals today for Tottenham
                                But can he do it on a cold night at Azadi?

Comment

Working...
                                X