What is your expectation for Team Melli's performance in 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your expectation for Team Melli's performance in 2023

Realistically, how far do you expect TM to go?
    Group Stage
    4.65%
    Round of 16
    2.33%
    Quarter-Finals
    55.81%
    Semi-Finals
    25.58%
    Runner Up
    0%
    Winner
    11.63%

The poll is expired.

1/4 final is the most probable peak achievement...!! if we get super lucky, perhaps the Semi's..!
    and all along, slow degradation of discipline and professionalism in our football in general, re-intro of party-bazi and gaav bandli and tons of off-pitch bs drama and scandals. .!

Comment

I rescind my vote. Based on the brackets it’s either Qf or Finals.

Comment

You need to have luck, good draw and lots of other parameters such as injury free to go far in tournament.
        I would say SF is realistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Seems like one choice is more expected (at the moment) than all the others put together. I am intrigued with people who expect group stage - although Iranian squad depth, particularly in midfield, comparative to other Asian nations is at an all-time low, Iran has never failed to make it out of group stage (1992 was a different format). Surely qualifying from a group with UAE, Palestine and Hong Kong is expected.

Equally, Iran hasn't reached a final since the 3 consecutive titles before Islamic Republic imprisoned the country. How is it likely with this unbalanced squad, distractions, and the mentality that even one of the world's best sports psychologists and scientist (Dr Craig Duncan) couldn't overcome in the last Asian cup, that Iran reaches the final again?

When looking at the records of the dozens of Japanese midfielders, trequartistas, wingers and wing-forwards who are plying their trade in Europe currently, don't just see where they are playing and their stats - look at their drive and focus, even for those who are no way near the starting line up.

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
            Seems like one choice is more expected (at the moment) than all the others put together. I am intrigued with people who expect group stage - although Iranian squad depth, particularly in midfield, comparative to other Asian nations is at an all-time low, Iran has never failed to make it out of group stage (1992 was a different format). Surely qualifying from a group with UAE, Palestine and Hong Kong is expected.

Equally, Iran hasn't reached a final since the 3 consecutive titles before Islamic Republic imprisoned the country. How is it likely with this unbalanced squad, distractions, and the mentality that even one of the world's best sports psychologists and scientist (Dr Craig Duncan) couldn't overcome in the last Asian cup, that Iran reaches the final again?

When looking at the records of the dozens of Japanese midfielders, trequartistas, wingers and wing-forwards who are plying their trade in Europe currently, don't just see where they are playing and their stats - look at their drive and focus, even for those who are no way near the starting line up.
            Well this time unless upsets occur we don't have to play Japan until the Final.

The bracket is kind to us this time. It would take a disasterous performance for us to not get out of the group. Even if we get 3rd place there is a 4/6 chance we go to R16.

Comment

Its basically QF or Final. No in between, we will beat Qat/uzb in a semi if we can get through SK in the QF.

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
                Its basically QF or Final. No in between, we will beat Qat/uzb in a semi if we can get through SK in the QF.
                That's true but South Korea are now a different SK to when we last faced them - or at least their key players have reached another level. They now have one of the best defenders in Europe and two excellent defensive midfielders. Their only weak link is their garbage coach who is unintentionally one of the most hilariously stupid people

We have Mehdi Taremi as our only player who has evolved considerably over the last year or two

Comment

This team has to at least make it to the semi - final if we want to have any faith in them being able to make it to the WC , even though now it is super easy , and doing well in the WC…. At least semi finals ,, anything less than that fire GN and bring in new players ..

Comment

Originally posted by a_m View Post
                    This team has to at least make it to the semi - final if we want to have any faith in them being able to make it to the WC , even though now it is super easy , and doing well in the WC…. At least semi finals ,, anything less than that fire GN and bring in new players ..
                    My humble apologies, I don't understand/man nemifahmam

4 Asian teams will make the semi final of the Asian Cup
                    9 Asian teams will make it to the WC 2026

So the comparison surely should be Quarter Final, not Semi Final if the goal is to make the world cup, no?

Comment

This year there will be lots of surprises but japan is gonna win it.

Uzbekistan - Very tactical and physical team, they have been on fire beating cameroon, uganda, draw against russia, venezuela. They also have Katanec who is a outstanding manager.
                      China - they weren't able to host their WC qualifiers otherwise we would've see them as one of the qualified WC teams. Draw against saudi (dominated both games) , draw against japan .
                      Iraq - Changed their manager + lots of investment in their infrastructure + New talent which can surprise
                      Palestine - They have been on fire.

Don't cross these teams out, specially uzbekistan. I won't be surprised if they top group B (over australia).

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post

That's true but South Korea are now a different SK to when we last faced them - or at least their key players have reached another level. They now have one of the best defenders in Europe and two excellent defensive midfielders. Their only weak link is their garbage coach who is unintentionally one of the most hilariously stupid people

We have Mehdi Taremi as our only player who has evolved considerably over the last year or two
                        Iran will beat S.Korea. You’re overestimating them.

Their only win in the WC was against an unmotivated Portugal team.
                        Esteghlal 💙💙

Comment

Last time we played Korea, the transfermarkt value of the players from both nations was about equal at ~70 million each

Within just a year, look at how different things have become as our players have lost value over the last few months months, except for Taremi

Iran is now 49 million https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/iran...te/verein/3582
                          Korea is now 175 million https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sudk...te/verein/3589

I know that transfermarkt is just showing value estimates of players, and certainly isn't gospel, but it is still an OK barometer for team depth and strength. Their Serie A title-winning defender is now worth more than Iran's entire extended squad put together...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/min-...spieler/503482

When we played last, Min Jae Kim was still in a development stage having recently joined Fenerbahce. He is a completely different defender now and will have had two consecutive teams of the season.

This is now a different story to before when our squad and theirs was equal for the last years and our record against them was achieved by a combination of luck and Queiroz.​

I genuinely can't see in what world anyone can be confident that we beat South Korea based on the current squads apart from them having a really crap coach. Yes we can beat them, but we need luck.

Comment

Originally posted by peiman92 View Post

Iran will beat S.Korea. You’re overestimating them.

Their only win in the WC was against an unmotivated Portugal team.
                            Brother please stop predicting . Please, I beg you. You jynx the gamas brother. All of your predictions have been off.

Esteghlal in ACL
                            Esteghlal against PP
                            Esteghlal in league

We had good chance beating them, but now I'm sure we will lose to them.

These are the ones i remember, but there is more

Comment

Over all six Asian Cups since the 1998 world cup, Iran has exited at Quarter-Final in 4 of them.

With a comparatively weaker squad, I think reaching the same level as the Asian Cups of the last quarter-century would be realistic and would be fine

Semi-Final would be a welcome surprise but anything is possible

Comment

Working...
                              X