The World's Best Iranian Tennis Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The World's Best Iranian Tennis Player

Many of you may think i'm talking about the Half-Iranian Andre Agassi , you would be wrong. Does the name MANSOUR BAHRAMI ring a bell , well if you know about tennis you would know he is arguably the worlds best senior tennis player , and had the revoulution not occured he could have been the worlds best player.

Bahrami taught himself tennis while working as a ballboy in his native Tehran.

He is said to have started with a racquet made from a dustbin lid and a wooden handle.But as he was beginning to make in-roads, his progress was halted as the Iranian regime banned competitive sports in the late 1970s.

All tennis courts were closed and Bahrami was forced to engineer a move to Paris in 1981.

However, work and travel restrictions still made it tough for him to get established on the tour.

It was not until Bahrami received French citizenship that he was able to concentrate fully on tennis, but by this stage he had turned 30 and his best days in singles were already behind him.

He did manage to win five titles in doubles, but it was the launch of the seniors tour that gave Bahrami a new lease of life.

For Bahrami is a supreme entertainer, and an absolute genius when it comes to trick shots - shots behind the back or between the legs are routine for this master.

His sleight of hand is incredible, and playing poker against him is probably very unwise.

After a couple of games without a trick, someone in the crowd shouts out, "Why are you being so serious, Mansour?"

Bahrami cannot resist, and pretends to miss a smash, only to somehow flick the ball over the net on his follow through.

Even McEnroe, who plays the game with only slightly less seriousness than in his heyday, is forced to smile as Bahrami flicks a ball eight feet in the air and catches it in his pocket.

Leconte was always a great entertainer in his days on the court, but here he barely gets a look in.

And while Bahrami goes through his routine with such touch and skill, you can't help but wonder what might have been had his career not been interrupted.

Happily for the crowds, Bahrami is doing his best to make up for lost time.

To watch a video of Bahrami in action in 2003 click HERE
    Please join and support Iran Rugby on Facebook.

bastards. they said that he is iraqi.

typical german! they have no idea of anything

Comment

could you give me the source of the article please, thanks.

Comment

its not an article , some of it are my views on him , and i found the video but search on BBC website for Bahrami and you will find most of the info i have given

Comment

the vid says he is iraqi lol

Comment

Very nice read, thank you
            We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.

Comment

Isn't that the guy who always makes jokes at Wimbledon??

I'm quite sure it is, the audience loves him and the men is a genious with the racket!
              Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

yea , youre right mate , he has appeared on numerous occasions at Wimbledon and here in the UK the BBC love him they had a seniors match and he was paired with Boris Becker who absolutely loves Bahrami

Comment

i saw him in tehran in enghelab stadium..it was a charity match or somethin cause they werent playin seriously....

Comment

This guy never plays seriously anymore!

Comment

I remember this guy could hold 3-4 tennis balls in his hand while playing. He wouldn't put them in his pocket.....

Comment

Working...
                      X