Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you prefer players and coaches of TM to make a stand and boycott the world cup?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you prefer players and coaches of TM to make a stand and boycott the world cup?

Yes - Boycott the WC games. There will be plenty of opportunities to play in WC again.

Just think about it. If IR stays many more will die. What is the life of these people compared to a once a 4 years tournament?
    .... At the end I am nothing other than ordinary

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
      I don't agree with banning or boycotting Iran, but looking at the views on this forum - it appears that "don't mix football and politics" is the majority view.

I can't enjoy this world cup with what is happening to the country. I have always supported Iran in the stadia for every tournament but just imagine Iran scores a goal and the regime stooge next to you comes to you for a hug.

I don't want that show of unity with him. Not whilst girls are getting raped with their corpse's mutilated, not whilst a boy is tased so much he chokes on his blood. Not whilst girls are getting slammed to the curb.

How can we enjoy watching football with this going on?
      I agree. I don't agree with a boycott as well. Hell, I am going to all three Iranian games in Doha.

But it seems for some - their love of Team Melli supersedes their care of Iran. It's JUST A FREAKING GAME! Talk about being completely tone deaf. Live outside your digital box. Don't they have relatives and friends back home? What's going on in Iran is far more important than any football game.

With that said., I feel that the matches will help Iran's march to freedom. It will lead to people coming together in big uncontrollable crowds for the regime, being inspired by our players etc. so yes - I feel that it it's a no-brainer for TM to play in the World Cup.
      "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

Originally posted by khodam View Post
        Yes - Boycott the WC games. There will be plenty of opportunities to play in WC again.

Just think about it. If IR stays many more will die. What is the life of these people compared to a once a 4 years tournament?
        I don't see how boycotting the games will stop IR killing innocent people.
        If it actually worked, I would agree, but it doesn't. Sporting boycotts don't work.

Look at IR trying to force boycotts of Israeli athletes. It doesn't work.

Comment

So let's say TM boycotts the World Cup? What happens? What's the action that happens and subsequent action that takes place?

Will people pour into the street? Another question - would winning a game result in more people in the streets than a boycott will? I think that it will and it's obvious.

Hope will defeat the regime that tries to rob people of hope and joy. More joylessness and hopelessness hurt that prospect.
          "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

Originally posted by taremiscores View Post
            So let's say TM boycotts the World Cup? What happens? What's the action that happens and subsequent action that takes place?
            Will people pour into the street? Another question - would winning a game result in more people in the streets than a boycott will? I think that it will and it's obvious.
            Hope will defeat the regime that tries to rob people of hope and joy. More joylessness and hopelessness hurt that prospect.
            The biggest false dawn for me was the events after WC 98 - People dancing in the street, everyone happy.

It was happiness, but it was a false happiness. It was like a soma to distract people from what was happening. In the end, that hopeful period and the "reform movement" was so far away from the hope so many thought it would be. It just kept the purgatory going before era of Ahmadinejad. In the long term, the smiley akhoonds with their well-trimmed beards, they just legitimised IR....

That's why for me, winning football matches in the world cup is no bilakh to the IR. They would love nothing more than Iran to beat USA and England and would tolerate dancing in the streets like happened in 1998. There is much less likelihood of anger and change.

This is just my personal opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by taremiscores View Post
              Respectfully, many of our dear members have forgotten international isolation isn't a nightmare for IR.
              The eighties were basically a boycott of all sorts of things for Iranians, and it did nothing.

Comment

The biggest false dawn for me was the events after WC 98 - People dancing in the street, everyone happy.
                It was happiness, but it was a false happiness. It was like a soma to distract people from what was happening. In the end, that hopeful period and the "reform movement" was so far away from the hope so many thought it would be. It just kept the purgatory going before era of Ahmadinejad. In the long term, the smiley akhoonds with their well-trimmed beards, they just legitimised IR....
                That's why for me, winning football matches in the world cup is no bilakh to the IR. They would love nothing more than Iran to beat USA and England and would tolerate dancing in the streets like happened in 1998. There is much less likelihood of anger and change.

Fine. Let's say IR loves football all of a sudden.
                How will a boycott bring down the regime?
                Or is this just some sort of sacrifice we expect 23 dudes to make for us somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                  Fine. Let's say IR loves football all of a sudden.
                  How will a boycott bring down the regime?
                  Or is this just some sort of sacrifice we expect 23 dudes to make for us somehow?
                  I can't answer your question because as I've posted a million times, I don't want a boycott.

I'll watch the games, and feel very bittersweet and sad feelings.

If you are able to get all these images and footage out of your head whilst seeing an IR supporter celebrate on TV in a "united celebration for Iran" then I doff my hat to you. I can't.

Comment

Baba dostan, dont mix things up. In this post I said myself that I would rather see Iran Play WC and do something there instead of withdrawing. My second replay was to Mahsa who said " people who dont care about football in general"

Comment

I don't think people will forget

Many of us live in the West, and we are not going through anything they are going through - we are just seeing videos and can hardly function currently. A football win will not bring people to that level of happiness that they can forget everything, but it will be a spark to a rallying call moment. This means it will instruct everyone to go out together at the same time to celebrate and be part of something. The potential for this is huge!

Let's hope IR doesn't last till then, although this is an ambitious outlook. But even the most pessimistic/realists "Iran will be freed" people are positive that this regime is in its last days - even our friend Nokhodi

Comment

so if we dont play the WC, people dont die anymore? i dont get that. lran needs this WC more than ever so we can stay relevant. do you think the medias will talk about iran during WC if we are not in it? Never... I was afraid I.R. bans our team first, suprised some of you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by daggerhashimoto View Post

Holy crap what a dumb proposal. It's so dumb it makes my head hurt.
                          You are clearly more intelligent than other members.

Btw was it you who opened that separatism thread (disappeared with server update) on the general forum?

Comment

Originally posted by fary-jupiter View Post
                            so if we dont play the WC, people dont die anymore?.
                            Literally no one here has said anything near to this.

Where are some of these hot takes coming from?

Comment

Literally no one here has said anything near to this.

Where are some of these hot takes coming from?
                              one page back. you even thanked the post..

#WilmotsOUT

Comment

I think its time to close this thread. People want to see Iran in the World Cup.

Comment

Working...
                                X