This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by koorosh View Post
    That is a very interesting point. As the greatest Iranian footballer he has a long way to go....for me. His TM stats and contributions are still way behind current leaders. No cups, no tournament late runs etc. His best tourney was at WC22...right?

As the greatest legionnaire, he is up there but how can one compare a defender or midfield to a striker?

In my book, Who you play against is maybe more important than who you play for, and for how long. In that sense, Nekounam would probably be tops, having faced many of the very best regularly. Mahdavikia and Rahman Rezaie also played against amazing players regularly for years. Maybe no one has Taremi s champion league experience but Taremi doesn't face Barca RM AM Valencia etc every week either.

If he keeps it up for another two or three years and keeps shining at CL, then maybe the very best ever!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

This is a great point.
    For me when I say greatest player, I speak solely for the product on the field, consistency, and level of opposition.

I think Nekounam is a great player and his longevity and consistency for his club and TM (especially when we were pretty miserable in every position except for him, Ando, and Seyed Jalal...), but he never had the high level play in the Champions League. He had one excellent UEFA Cup (now Europa League) run.

I won't compare Nekounam and Taremi any further as they are in different positions on teh field, so I will compare to Daei.

So in terms of continental club football

Taremi - 3 Champions League tournaments - 9 goals, went as far as
    1 Europa League tournament - no goals

Daei - 2 Champions League tournaments (one for Bayern, one for Hertha) - 4 goals
    1 UEFA league tournament - 2 goals (I think one was in the qualifiers)

In terms of European domestic football

Taremi - 60+ goals at club level in Portuguese league
    Daei - 19 goals at club level in Bundesliga.

International football

Daei obviously has more goals, but without Taremi's goals (game winners versus Uzbekistan, China, Qatar in 2018, and versus Iraq, UAE x2) we would have missed out on World Cup 2022 and World Cup 2026.
    Daei was vital in only one qualification campaign - WC 1998.

World Cup

Daei has one super assist (Mahdavikia goal versus US), and 5 games.
    Taremi has one assist and 2 goals.

Asian Cup
    This is where Daei is better.
    He was top scorer in 1996. Has 2 x 3rd place finishes.

Taremi was excellent in Asia Cup 2019 but we missed him in the semis due to yellow card accumulation.

I would say Taremi has surpassed Daei simply because he has been better as an individual in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by taremiscores View Post
      probably there for Diogo or Galeno..!?
      Then perhaps young Pepe or jao Mario!?

Highly doubtful they be looking @ oldies like Mehdi :/

Comment

Originally posted by BacheLot View Post
        probably there for Diogo or Galeno..!?
        Then perhaps young Pepe or jao Mario!?

Highly doubtful they be looking @ oldies like Mehdi :/
        Exactly what I was going to say. They are most probably monitoring Galeno and also Diego Costa.

Comment

Comment

"Mehdi Taremi thanking FC Porto fans​"

Comment

Mehdi, for the love of God, STAY IN PORTO!! 🙏🏼 Of course unless you like to warm benches in England..

Comment

Originally posted by Abtin View Post
                Mehdi, for the love of God, STAY IN PORTO!! 🙏🏼 Of course unless you like to warm benches in England..
                Mehdi stay in Porto and Abtin don’t accept the next job offer with better salary at bigger company.

Comment

This guy needs the top drugs to keep him at the peak level. Does PORTO give these drugs?
                  Whatever Messi Ronaldo Luka Modric is on is what he needs.
                  Original Ehsan of IK ISP and PFDC from 1999/2000!

Comment

Why so much chert being said in this thread right now lol

Comment

Taremi is the best player we have produced in a long time, the guy is making it look easy. The only thing else he could do to cement himself in our top 5 ever list is to transfer to a higher level league and continue to perform.
                      --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
                      --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
                      ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
                      --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
                      ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post

This is a great point.
                        For me when I say greatest player, I speak solely for the product on the field, consistency, and level of opposition.

I think Nekounam is a great player and his longevity and consistency for his club and TM (especially when we were pretty miserable in every position except for him, Ando, and Seyed Jalal...), but he never had the high level play in the Champions League. He had one excellent UEFA Cup (now Europa League) run.

I won't compare Nekounam and Taremi any further as they are in different positions on teh field, so I will compare to Daei.

So in terms of continental club football

Taremi - 3 Champions League tournaments - 9 goals, went as far as
                        1 Europa League tournament - no goals

Daei - 2 Champions League tournaments (one for Bayern, one for Hertha) - 4 goals
                        1 UEFA league tournament - 2 goals (I think one was in the qualifiers)

In terms of European domestic football

Taremi - 60+ goals at club level in Portuguese league
                        Daei - 19 goals at club level in Bundesliga.

International football

Daei obviously has more goals, but without Taremi's goals (game winners versus Uzbekistan, China, Qatar in 2018, and versus Iraq, UAE x2) we would have missed out on World Cup 2022 and World Cup 2026.
                        Daei was vital in only one qualification campaign - WC 1998.

World Cup

Daei has one super assist (Mahdavikia goal versus US), and 5 games.
                        Taremi has one assist and 2 goals.

Asian Cup
                        This is where Daei is better.
                        He was top scorer in 1996. Has 2 x 3rd place finishes.

Taremi was excellent in Asia Cup 2019 but we missed him in the semis due to yellow card accumulation.

I would say Taremi has surpassed Daei simply because he has been better as an individual in Europe.

He actually assisted both our most classic goals. (Cheshmi the third and Gucci 4th)
                        Daei assist Azizi vs Australia
                        Supporting Team Melli

Comment

Taremi’s exceptional, fitness, and form & especially his longevity & consistency on that front is and has been the quality that has made him the best iranian footballer we’ve produced in a long while if not ever..!

imo, we’ve had plenty of all around better footballers in the past however most all have failed to have similar impact & stats as Mehdi primarily due to sever lack of consistent Fitness & Durability..!

The best thing that our promising young footballers could learn from Mehdi is his off tge field Fitness regime ..!

Comment

Best Player award for Nov/Dec

Comment

Goncalo Guedes goes to Benfica on loan. A good team gets even stronger. I dont see Porto catching them this year (hope I'm wrong) but just want Porto to solidify the 2nd spot and automatic CL qualification.

Comment

Mudryk hasn’t played football in months but may get a start. If it’s an Iranian, he has to be gradually phased in!

Comment

Working...
                                X