Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iran's group B is actually the group of death ACTO to FIFA ranking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran's group B is actually the group of death ACTO to FIFA ranking!

Average FIFA ranking for each group. For the playoff teams, i took the highest ranked team possible and included them for the ranking.
    A: 32
    B: 15
    C: 22
    D: 18
    E: 18
    F: 20
    G: 19
    H: 28
    To compare the group of death in 2014 had an average ranking of 14. There is a laundry list of issues for using fifa rankings to determine group difficulty I know, just thought it was interesting to share.

ParthianDE notes:
    I took the above in italics from a reddit comment and did not check the math, but if correct, Iran would be in the toughest group by FIFA ranking assuming Wales will make the playoffs!

It’s a tough group! Not sure why everyone is so delighted.

But, I do think Wales and US are a little overrated in the rankings. I’d say we’re evenly matched with US and slightly better than Wales.

Comment

We need Scotland to make this group more manageable. Ukraine will be OK as well - playing two of the best British teams if Wales gets through is DIFFICULT.

Our boys suffer against physical teams, technical teams we can handle (i.e. Spain, Argentina). Bosnia was more physical than they were and we suffered.
      "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

Wales are flying high with confidence, they have a lot of fervour behind them and their fans would pack the stadium...

Comment

This is a very difficult group, I don't know why some rejoice.

There has to be a certain energy the Iranian national teams give. Always getting the hardest opponents. Yes, the USA was one of the easier Pot 2 opponents but they will be very motivated against us because of the history.

Wales would be in Pot 2 if they made it directly.

FIFA giving this to Qatar, playing during the Winter etc. really screwed this all up for us and many others.
          "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

It’s also important to note that the fifa rankings are a joke

Comment

Originally posted by taremiscores View Post

There has to be a certain energy the Iranian national teams give. Always getting the hardest opponents. Yes, the USA was one of the easier Pot 2 opponents but they will be very motivated against us because of the history.

FIFA giving this to Qatar, playing during the Winter etc. really screwed this all up for us and many others.
              Ya but there’s some value to your pot 4 team being good because they can take points away from other teams. A win against a pot 4 team is nice, but doesn’t mean much if everyone else also wins.

Comment

We need a cagey tie in the US/Playoff team game. It puts us in a good position, and if England is of any use they can beat the US in the 2nd leg. If we beat the Playoff team somehow then we have to avoid losing to the US, which is just how we want them. The alternative is the US losing the first game, but us beating the playoff team. In the last game, a draw vs US takes us through while England should beat the other team.

Comment

Good observation. I Never looked at it from this perspective! [emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After seeing the reactions from all fans (English American and Iranian) I have to say all of them are idiots and are all underestimating each other. Southgate and Berhalter have been smart with their comments and have a good grip of their locker room so I don’t think the ignorance will be passed onto the players and we know Iran and this group won’t be of that mentality either. It’s just funny seeing a lot of the fan reactions…..definitely IMO is a tougher group than what is being thrown around.

Yes there were harder groups we could have wound up in but it doesn’t change the fact that this will still be a tough battle for all teams.
                    Team Meli Iran
                    Perspolis FC
                    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

FIFA rankings is a joke. This group is a blessing compared to most of the other groups, not to mention last WC!

But maybe you guys thought we would get teams like Syria,Laos and Kuwait?
                      It’s that why you’re scared?
                      Esteghlal 💙💙

Comment

I really hope Wales don't qualify, that would change the dynamic of the group drastically.
                        --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
                        --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
                        ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
                        --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
                        ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

I think the major question is would we change with any other Asian team and I have to be honest, only the South Korea Group is comparable to ours but I still take ours as I think we get better results against European teams!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by taremiscores View Post

Did you see the other group? They are more difficult than ours
                            And I don't know what is scary about wales

Comment

Working...
                            X