Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WvsI.gif

This photo is from 1978.

A friendly match held with Wales at AyraMehr Stadium. Game ended 1-0 for Wales.

Wales squad consisted of;
    Back Row:
    David Jones (Norwich), Joey Jones (Liverpool), Dai Davies (Wrexham), Gareth Davis (Wrexham), Phil Dwyer (Cardiff), John Mahoney (Middlesbrough)
    Front Row:
    Carl Harris (Leeds), Nich Dency (PSV), Malcolm Page (Birmigham), Terry Yorath (Coventry), Micky Thomas (Wrexham)

The match was the last football game under the legitimate flag of Iran. The Islamic revolution took over the country in 1979 and introduced Arabic writing on our flag.

It appears that before every revolution we play against Wales! Last time was a curse but I hope this time will be different!

Comment

Originally posted by Under Lahaf View Post
      Ranking of participating teams, tough to say which team other than England has real chance in Group B
      who made this ranking, Jafar the street vendor?

Comment

Originally posted by Abtin View Post

who made this ranking, Jafar the street vendor?
        it's FIFA's ranking
        https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-rank...dateId=id13792

Comment

Originally posted by Under Lahaf View Post
          lol I read it as ranking of chances of winning the cup 😂

Comment

Kyle Walker won't be ready for the Iran game according to ITV and Sky Sports

Comment

Damn the knowledge these guys have on Iran is insane 🔥

Comment

Oxfordshire Alpaca predictions for Group B

Iran (Win) vs England (Lose)
                Wales (Lose) vs USA (Win)

Wales (Win) vs Iran (Lose)
                England (Win) vs USA (Lose)

England (Win) vs Wales (Lose)
                USA (Win) vs Iran (Lose)

England 2 Win and 1 Loss, 6 Pts
                USA 2 Win and 1 Loss, 6 Pts
                Wales 1 Win and 2 Loss, 3 Pts
                Iran 1 Win and 2 Loss, 3 Pts​

So it seems Alpaca can't predict Draw 🤣

News article

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/20...and-wales-exit

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/news/...B8%D8%B1%D9%87

Comment

Originally posted by Kavian View Post
                  WvsI.gif

This photo is from 1978.

A friendly match held with Wales at AyraMehr Stadium. Game ended 1-0 for Wales.

Wales squad consisted of;
                  Back Row:
                  David Jones (Norwich), Joey Jones (Liverpool), Dai Davies (Wrexham), Gareth Davis (Wrexham), Phil Dwyer (Cardiff), John Mahoney (Middlesbrough)
                  Front Row:
                  Carl Harris (Leeds), Nich Dency (PSV), Malcolm Page (Birmigham), Terry Yorath (Coventry), Micky Thomas (Wrexham)

The match was the last football game under the legitimate flag of Iran. The Islamic revolution took over the country in 1979 and introduced Arabic writing on our flag.

It appears that before every revolution we play against Wales! Last time was a curse but I hope this time will be different!
                  Thank you for the photo. It was the first time I saw the Team photo for that match. Before I only had seen a photo of Ali Parvin and Welsh Captain together.

The match with Wales was before the 1978 World Cup, so after that Team Melli played Bulgaria, France in friendlies, Ghana in Afro-Asia Cup, then 3 World Cup matches Netherlands, Scotland, Peru, then a friendly with Soviet Union (which was the last game under Shir-o Khorshid flag).

Then in 1980 February and March, Team Melli played Olympic Games qualification versus North Korea, China, Singapore, India, Sri Lanka (flag at that time was the Civil Ensign or old National flag the plain Tricolor Green-White-Red).
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_o...80%931980).svg

Although in 1980 the State flag was briefly
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_o...f_I.R.Iran.svg

IRI flag was Adopted on: 29 July 1980, so the first match under IRI flag was friendly with UAE on 05 September 1980.

Comment

just interesting to think about how FOX spent $425 million for rights to 2018 and 2022 WC. USA did not qualify for 2018, so here we are in 2022.

Iran has games at 5AM PST, 2AM PST, 11AM PST

Obv, FOX and USA want to grow soccer and make money, so what happens? All 3 games USA has are at 11AM PST/2PM EST. Which is the optimal time compared to 2am and 5am. people can take a nice long lunch break and watch the games. just funny how much USA can influence soccer and decisions like this. i dont think its a real playing advantage just found it interesting

Comment

Supporting Team Melli

Comment

Originally posted by Ostad_Goosfand View Post
                        just interesting to think about how FOX spent $425 million for rights to 2018 and 2022 WC. USA did not qualify for 2018, so here we are in 2022.

Iran has games at 5AM PST, 2AM PST, 11AM PST

Obv, FOX and USA want to grow soccer and make money, so what happens? All 3 games USA has are at 11AM PST/2PM EST. Which is the optimal time compared to 2am and 5am. people can take a nice long lunch break and watch the games. just funny how much USA can influence soccer and decisions like this. i dont think its a real playing advantage just found it interesting
                        It's advantage for sure.
                        it's so much better to know what result
                        Your opponents got before entering match.
                        It's difference of going for a win or tie, knowing opponents score.

Big advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Abtin View Post
                          Damn the knowledge these guys have on Iran is insane 🔥

These guys have so much knowledge on the team, and I agree one of the best things is that every team in this group underestimates us as and has chosen us as the game that they think they will for sure win. I also feel like Carlos is going to confuse the shit out of the US and Whales, and deploy a totally different strategy for the England game vs those games. I honestly believe we can get out of this group.

One thing they didn't mention in this video is that historically Iran has usually been very strong in midfield, our biggest weakness is our midfield currently. We have shifted from our defense being our strongest point, towards our attack being the strongest. But our midfield quality has decreased, and seeing how they hold up is the biggest question.

I also think that Khalizadeh and Kanaani are significantly better than Pouraliganji and Hosseini, so we actually will have some issues in rotation there.
                          --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
                          --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
                          ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
                          --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
                          ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

Oxford University mathematical model predicts we will go out in the round of 16 against Holland.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm...tm_name=iossmf

Comment

USA looking very good in the opening 22+ mins….if they press us this strong we will be in trouble.
                              Team Meli Iran
                              Perspolis FC
                              Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

USA looks very strong and fast. they arent even playing on of their better players brenden aaronson.

Comment

Working...
                                X