Discuss Group B here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
    - If we can get euro friendlies (not possible bc of nation league and sanction) : (Nth) Ireland, scandinavian countries, belgium, poland Croatia, swiss or austria, Serbia, Macedonia or Montenegro, Turkey
    Russia at least
    - North America : Canada, Jamaica, Mexico
    - Asia : Australia, Japan
    - Africa : Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, mali
    - oceania : NZ
    - South America : Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay.
    The South America options serve nothing more than an option to test our defense which is fine. We need to get used to playing games against teams closer to our level who can hurt us as we can hurt them. From your list, Australia, Japan, any of those African countries would be prime prep for US/Playoff team.

Comment

US just got a friendly with Uruguay for June

https://old.reddit.com/r/ussoccer/co..._uruguay_have/

S - E - C - U - L - A - R - I - S - M

Comment

Originally posted by Team Melli Fan View Post
        US just got a friendly with Uruguay for June
        https://old.reddit.com/r/ussoccer/co..._uruguay_have/
        They can essentially get a friendly with anyone they like. However, not sure how Uruguay will prepare them for England/Euro/Iran teams.

Having said that, for TM, beggers can't be choosers, and I'd love a TM friendly with Uruguay or any South American team.

Comment

Originally posted by Philosophy_King View Post
          Best response to that would be a League-Competition that involves all Asian Powerhouses: Japan, Iran, Korea, Australia, KSA and maybe Qatar, Oman, Iraq, Uzbekistan.
          Even better, I'd say if UEFA and CONMEBOL are teaming up together, we should team up AFC with CAF and maybe even CONCACAF and make a league of our own. That would balance things out.

Comment

Expectation:

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
            - If we can get euro friendlies (not possible bc of nation league and sanction) : (Nth) Ireland, scandinavian countries, belgium, poland Croatia, swiss or austria, Serbia, Macedonia or Montenegro, Turkey
            Russia at least
            - North America : Canada, Jamaica, Mexico
            - Asia : Australia, Japan
            - Africa : Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, mali
            - oceania : NZ
            - South America : Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay.

Reality:

Syria, Uzbekistan, South Korea, Qatar, Somali Pirates, UAE cab drivers XI, S.P.A.L. FC, Iran U23, and if we're lucky, Bosnia's B team

Comment

Originally posted by Kian B. View Post
              Expectation:

Reality:

Syria, Uzbekistan, South Korea, Qatar, Somali Pirates, UAE cab drivers XI, S.P.A.L. FC, Iran U23, and if we're lucky, Bosnia's B team
              Be respectful it's Orlando Pirates and Kaiser Chiefs. God what a waste if time that was in S. Africa.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
              Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

From what I see on YouTube, the US supporters are also happy to be in Group B. From the way that they commented about Iran, it seems that their views on the Asian teams are highly influenced by their match against Thailand in the Women's World Cup.

There are no easy teams in the Men's World Cup, but I don't feel threatened by any of the English-speaking teams, even England. When these teams are good, they're really good. In fact, the first World Cup match that I watched in a stadium was the one in which the US beat Portugal in 2002. This was during the heyday of Figo. But these English teams are very inconsistent. Even England has lost or tied to weaker teams numerous times. I watched South Korea thrash Scotland and tie England in friendlies. And I watched South Korea defeat the UK in the Olympics. People in the States can't watch the full matches from Asia unless there's a World Cup here. I think this is why they know very little about Iran. They certainly don't know how importantly the Iranians consider their match against the US. I think the Americans will be in for a big surprise.
                Korea vs. Germany Video

Comment

some moons ago, as part of our preparation for either world cup or other tournaments we played a friendly with a English club. I cannot recall which team it was (may be queens park rangers), but we had an embarrassing performance. Does anyone remember any details?

Skocic should watch that game?

Comment

Originally posted by Kavian View Post
                    some moons ago, as part of our preparation for either world cup or other tournaments we played a friendly with a English club. I cannot recall which team it was (may be queens park rangers), but we had an embarrassing performance. Does anyone remember any details?

Skocic should watch that game?
                    It was prepartion for World Cup 2006. We played QPR. We were to play Millwall and another club as well but there was a terror attack in London around the same time and it all got cancelled.

Dadkan actually got TM really good preparation for World Cup 2006 - friendlies with Croatia, Costa Rica, South Korea, Togo and Bosnia. There was also a friendly with Ukraine lined up which got cancelled as ANtar made his stupid comments.
                    He also had training camps set up in England and Switzerland. The England one got cancelled as described above. The Switzerland one was good but our players were injured and the camp was divided.
                    That 2006 team was wasted

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                      It was prepartion for World Cup 2006. We played QPR. We were to play Millwall and another club as well but there was a terror attack in London around the same time and it all got cancelled.

Dadkan actually got TM really good preparation for World Cup 2006 - friendlies with Croatia, Costa Rica, South Korea, Togo and Bosnia. There was also a friendly with Ukraine lined up which got cancelled as ANtar made his stupid comments.
                      He also had training camps set up in England and Switzerland. The England one got cancelled as described above. The Switzerland one was good but our players were injured and the camp was divided.
                      I remember the QPR game, lost 3-0, all 3 were headers

Comment

Someone was mentioning Panama, as Iran supposedly has good relations with them. I think at least a friendly with Venezuela is doable, and perhaps at least one more game can be added to the list, whether it is Panama or hopefully Costa Rica. As previously mentioned US hasn't beaten Costa Rica in away games for quite some time; 11 losses 1 win (2017) since 1989

https://www.11v11.com/teams/usa/tab/.../Costa%20Rica/

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                          Thank you Mr. (to both of you!) -- good memory!

As mentioned, that game should be used as yardstick for Skocic and company to better understand the differences between Iranian and English style of football and how to prepare for the big encounter with England national team.
                          Some aspect of the game I recall that wasn't going well for us were; lack of possession (passing was pathetic), losing all one on ones due to poor physique and fitness, losing almost all aerial battle due to height disadvantage and not knowing how to counter long balls. We gave them too much space on the flanks to cross the ball and too many set pieces, specially corner kicks that resulted in goals.

Comment

Right now, we should take Atletico Madrids blueprint against this Manchester City team for the England game.

The England team is still very physical but more based on pace than height now. Their attacking mids are super dangerous like Sterling, Foden, Grealish etc but they are not physically strong.

We need a plan to isolate Kane from the rest of them. That buys us the most time to try and get a goal for us. The battle in the midfield will be interesting depending on who England chooses. Bellingham and Henderson makes for them having more control, but if they use Declan Rice or Kalvin Phillips they want to press us to death.

Azmoun and Taremi have played and scored against better defenders but it will depend on their service, how calm they stay on the ball and that they don't stressed when they are isolated for long periods. They should work on their foul winning so we slow the game down as much as possible

Comment

https://www.espn.com/sports/insider/...p-stages-final

ESPN predicts

england 2 iran 0
                              iran 0 wales 0
                              iran 0 USA 2

also predict USA 2-1 over netherlands lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ostad_Goosfand View Post
                                https://www.espn.com/sports/insider/...p-stages-final

ESPN predicts

england 2 iran 0
                                iran 0 wales 0
                                iran 0 USA 2

also predict USA 2-1 over netherlands lol
                                If you think this is bad NBC sports created their own ranking system lol...needless to say USA fairs well and TM doesn't. I posted it in the media biases thread.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
                                Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Working...
                                X