WC Qatar 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rooyintan View Post
    What has the World come to? Now Omid Djalili wants Team Melli banned from the World Cup!!!

https://twitter.com/omid9/status/1587749610382319617

I dont think he's specifically said he wants them banned. He's merely pointing out the discourse on the subject at the minute and the Iranian male and female sports men as well as the Ukranian FAs recent calls to ban Iran and, in light of the current goings on, the legitimate grounds they have of making this request where politics and sport have precedent of becoming intertwined (i.e. Russia's ban by FIFA) when taking into account undeniable Human Rights breaches and how they contravene with FIFA's own articles. FIFA have plenty of grounds to kick us out of the world cup and there would be no dispute other than people saying "dont mix politics and sport" but they have articles in place to protect them legally in order to take this action. It's been done before - see Euro 92 when Yugoslavia were expelled in place of Denmark, who went on to win that tournament. Personally, if we get removed I dont think Ukraine have a divine right to take our place, there are several teams that lost in playoffs that could make the case to be there.

... but to your point about him wanting our expulsion... if you read his later tweets in the thread, no matter how tongue in cheek they are, he actually states his dream scenario being that we play, our players are applauded as individuals rather than as a proxy for the regime... before he then tries to be funny talking about CQ becoming supreme leader etc. I think he like many Iranians would like to see our players play as they as sportsmen deserve to be there, to perform for the people and not be tainted by the government. In reality, with our name at this tournament being IR Iran... the sad reality is people on the outside looking in will just see the team as an extension of the regime and there's no meaningful protest the players can perform because of it's involvement in our football federation (one of the reasons we should be banned). Would love to see the players/fans make a meaningful statement that disassociates our team with the regime in the eyes of the international community but it's not gonna happen... if we do play, we'll just be painted as pariahs by the media and the vast majority will be pleased with our exit however early it comes.

His later tweets in the thread

6. I have been anticipating a competitive England v Iran game all my life. My dream game in fact. I would love to see Iran play Wales, England & USA. But with such blatant abuses of FIFA’s own charter, how on earth have Iran not been kicked out already?

7. Dream scenario? Game goes ahead. Iranian players applauded for showing up. Fans chant slogans throughout games. Iran score, players refuse to celebrate. The more they progress, the weaker the regime becomes.

8. After powering to the final in a wave of global good will, Iran play England again and win the World Cup. Return as heroes. Regime topples. I am voted President with an overwhelming majority. Carlos Quiroz becomes the first Supreme leader of the Portuguese Republic of Iran.​

Comment

Originally posted by Malkay View Post

I dont think he's specifically said he wants them banned. He's merely pointing out the discourse on the subject at the minute and the Iranian male and female sports men as well as the Ukranian FAs recent calls to ban Iran and, in light of the current goings on, the legitimate grounds they have of making this request where politics and sport have precedent of becoming intertwined (i.e. Russia's ban by FIFA) when taking into account undeniable Human Rights breaches and how they contravene with FIFA's own articles. FIFA have plenty of grounds to kick us out of the world cup and there would be no dispute other than people saying "dont mix politics and sport" but they have articles in place to protect them legally in order to take this action. It's been done before - see Euro 92 when Yugoslavia were expelled in place of Denmark, who went on to win that tournament. Personally, if we get removed I dont think Ukraine have a divine right to take our place, there are several teams that lost in playoffs that could make the case to be there.

... but to your point about him wanting our expulsion... if you read his later tweets in the thread, no matter how tongue in cheek they are, he actually states his dream scenario being that we play, our players are applauded as individuals rather than as a proxy for the regime... before he then tries to be funny talking about CQ becoming supreme leader etc. I think he like many Iranians would like to see our players play as they as sportsmen deserve to be there, to perform for the people and not be tainted by the government. In reality, with our name at this tournament being IR Iran... the sad reality is people on the outside looking in will just see the team as an extension of the regime and there's no meaningful protest the players can perform because of it's involvement in our football federation (one of the reasons we should be banned). Would love to see the players/fans make a meaningful statement that disassociates our team with the regime in the eyes of the international community but it's not gonna happen... if we do play, we'll just be painted as pariahs by the media and the vast majority will be pleased with our exit however early it comes.

6. I have been anticipating a competitive England v Iran game all my life. My dream game in fact. I would love to see Iran play Wales, England & USA. But with such blatant abuses of FIFA’s own charter, how on earth have Iran not been kicked out already?

7. Dream scenario? Game goes ahead. Iranian players applauded for showing up. Fans chant slogans throughout games. Iran score, players refuse to celebrate. The more they progress, the weaker the regime becomes.

8. After powering to the final in a wave of global good will, Iran play England again and win the World Cup. Return as heroes. Regime topples. I am voted President with an overwhelming majority. Carlos Quiroz becomes the first Supreme leader of the Portuguese Republic of Iran.​
      There we go with the double Standards again. If they removed Russia because they have started a war, why didn‘t they ban USA and their western puppets for causing war in Afghanistan, Irak, Lybia etc ? You think Saudi Gayrabia cares about Human Rights that much? Remember last time when they were chopping one of their citizens into pieces in an Embassy in Turkey? Were they banned or cancelled for it? Iran is going to participate in the World Cup regardless of what some miserable and opportunistic fucks like this dalghak Omid Djalili want. He can enjoy his life in England, were the foundations for his Bahai belief were founded, to cause division in an majority Shia country called Iran 🇮🇷 We are going to tear his rainy country a new one this world cup

Comment

Unequal application of regulations or laws, renders those regulations inapplicable. Yes FIFA has whatever regulations they have, but WC 2018 was held in Russia after occupation and annexation of Crimea. US/England and "Coalition of the willing!!" attacked and occupied Iraq for 20 years, killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. Israel has been occupying another country for >50 years, killing unknown number of children. China is guilty of genocide. England had WC 1966 after documented mass murder of Africans. Argentina had WC 78 under a military dictatorship that controlled everything including football, etc. etc.

Once again, the "international norms and regulations" including human rights are only designed to be applied selectively when it benefits the global empires. Yes, Iran may get banned, but let's not pretend there is any justification for it whatsoever!!

Sign this petition to show opposition to US/UK support for the Rajavi/MKO cult

https://chng.it/ZsSzczNC2Z

Comment

Originally posted by Malkay View Post

Yes, when I was reading his points. At first I just thought he is just reacting to the whole thing. But the following quoted made me confused, is he supporting ban on Team Melli or wants to see Team Melli participate! "But with such blatant abuses of FIFA’s own charter, how on earth have Iran not been kicked out already?"

Later I saw some people posted comments to his twitter and from those comments I gathered that Omid Djalili supports ban on Team Melli.

Comment

Washington Post

Opinion

Want to help the Iran protests? Let its soccer team play in the World Cup.
            By Bill Saporito

November 3, 2022 at 5:18 p.m. EDT

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ld-cup-soccer/

Comment

BBC

Qatar World Cup: Welsh government boycott Wales-Iran game

By David Deans & Bethan James
              BBC Wales

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-63500563

Comment

BBC

BBC Wales

They should do better and withdraw from playing against us, even if it means that they should forfeit the game. The same goes for any other opponent who does not want us to be in the World Cup.

Comment

BBC

BBC Wales

Welcome to the World of Virtue Signaling, where even corrupt politicians pretend to be good human beings. Boycotting one game but attending the others? Wow, that makes a lot of sense 😂😂😂😂😂 people are just dumb as fuck these days

Comment

Fuck IR. Fuck Khamenei.

Comment

FIFA urges World Cup teams to focus on soccer over politics

Iran has also faced calls to be removed before it plays England in the second game of the World Cup on Nov. 21 in a group that also includes the United States.

By: AP
                      November 4, 2022 5:15:40 pm

FIFA president Gianni Infantino at event (File)

Soccer’s top officials have urged the 32 teams preparing for the most political World Cup in the modern era to focus on the game in Qatar and avoid handing out lessons in morality.

A letter urging teams to “let football take center stage” was sent by FIFA president Gianni Infantino and secretary general Fatma Samoura ahead of intense media focus on coaches and players when World Cup squads are announced next week. “Please, let’s now focus on the football!” Infantino and Samoura wrote, asking the 32 soccer federations to “not allow football to be dragged into every ideological or political battle that exists.”

Qatar being picked in 2010 as World Cup host sparked scrutiny on its treatment of low-paid migrant workers needed to build projects costing tens of billions of dollars and its laws criminalizing same-sex relationships.

Eight European teams have committed to their captains wearing heart-shaped armbands — in breach of FIFA rules — to support an anti-discrimination campaign. Several coaches and federations have backed calls to create a compensation fund for migrant workers’ families. Denmark’s squad is taking a black team jersey as a sign of “mourning” for those who died in Qatar.

Iran has also faced calls to be removed before it plays England in the second game of the World Cup on Nov. 21 in a group that also includes the United States. Iranian fan groups want the federation suspended for discriminating against women, and Ukraine soccer officials asked FIFA to remove Iran from the World Cup for human rights violations and supplying the Russian military with weapons.

“We know football does not live in a vacuum and we are equally aware that there are many challenges and difficulties of a political nature all around the world,” the FIFA leaders wrote in their letter Thursday that did not address or identify any specific issue.

“At FIFA, we try to respect all opinions and beliefs, without handing out moral lessons to the rest of the world. One of the great strengths of the world is indeed its very diversity, and if inclusion means anything, it means having respect for that diversity.

Infantino and Samoura added: “No one people or culture or nation is better’ than any other. This principle is the very foundation stone of mutual respect and non-discrimination. And this is also one of the core values of football.

They repeated long-standing promises made by Qatar, including by its Emir at the United Nations general assembly in New York in September, that all visitors to Qatar will be welcome “regardless of origin, background, religion, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.” About 1.2 million international visitors are expected in Qatar during the Nov. 20-Dec. 18 tournament.
                      Supporting Team Melli

Comment

The World Cup Inaugural Ceremony and the opening game between Qatar and Ecuador will be free to the general public ( online), according to Qatar's Alkass TV.

شبکه «الکاس» قطر خبر داد بازی افتتاحیه میان قطر و اکوادور از شبکه بین اسپورت برای عموم رایگان خواهد بود تا همه بتوانند مراسم افتتاحیه جام جهانی را تماشا کنند.

Comment

Originally posted by Babak_Shirazi View Post
                          Welcome to the World of Virtue Signaling, where even corrupt politicians pretend to be good human beings. Boycotting one game but attending the others? Wow, that makes a lot of sense 😂😂😂😂😂 people are just dumb as fuck these days
                          Obviously she is just making an excuse not to go to the match. I'd say she knows that Team Melli defeated Uruguay in a friendly, so as Deputy Sports Minister of Wales, she probably does not want to be there seeing Wales get defeated by Team Melli. Maybe she knows that many Iranian female fans would be without hijab so maybe a bit of jealousy towards Iranian women.

Comment

Originally posted by sedee91 View Post

They should do better and withdraw from playing against us, even if it means that they should forfeit the game. The same goes for any other opponent who does not want us to be in the World Cup.
                            Forfeit would give Team Melli 3-0 win per match, that would be a Perfect record

Games Played 3, Win 3, Loss 0, Draw 0, Goals For 9, Goals Against 0, Points 9

Comment

Forfeit would give Team Melli 3-0 win per match, that would be a Perfect record

Games Played 3, Win 3, Loss 0, Draw 0, Goals For 9, Goals Against 0, Points 9
                              Would be great, we can play the round of 16 match against Qatar right away then 😂❤️🇮🇷🇶🇦 Jokes aside, these Anglo-Saxon pricks will get their asses kicked by our Iranian lions 🦁

Comment

BBC

BBC Wales

The title of the article is misleading (shocking, I know. BBC not being honest!!!)

It is actually one Welsh government minister who was going to attend one single game (Iran-Wales) and decided not to go. But interestingly from the article:

"Welsh ministers will be attending the Wales games against the USA and England, as these represent the most significant opportunities for us to raise the profile of Wales and make connections where we can share our interests and values.

I guess they missed the news about US/England invading Iraq and killing hundreds of thousands not that long ago!!! Or does Wales share those values of genocide and mass-murder.

At least the Scotts have some national pride. The Welsh are just too happy being colonized by the English and being their doormats forever.
                                Sign this petition to show opposition to US/UK support for the Rajavi/MKO cult

https://chng.it/ZsSzczNC2Z

Comment

Working...
                                X