Fifa World Ranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ab-Gosht View Post
    yes but only way to even conclude the draw to not make it super complicated should be to have all unfinished business in pot 4.

its going still to be with a * because 2 afc teams cannot be in same pot, and probably not any other continent either except for europe and even they cant have 3 so..
    I suppose FIFA could be keeping quiet as depending on the 30 know qualifiers they may opt for a similar draw to 2010, pot 1 (seeds + host), pot 2-4 (geographical).

If Italy or Portugal win their path, they will certainly be a top 7 ranked team and end up in pot 1. Then you have 8 other European teams who comprise a pot. 5x CAF teams and 3x CONCACAF automatic qualifiers compromise another pot. Our pot would then be 4/5 AFC and 2/3 CONMEBOL (depending on winner of playoff) as well as the OFC v CONCACAF playoff winner. It's still messy but would make the draw logistically easier.

Either way you look at it, they'll struggle to justify what they're doing with the 2 playoff winners

Comment

Originally posted by Farzadfarhangni View Post
      Aren't they going to have the intercontinental playoff games done in April before the draw??? They must. the 32 teams must be knows before the draw.
      No, they wont. Draw is April 3rd. Intercontinental playoffs are mid June. It'll be weird as I don't think this has ever happened before

Comment

I won't be surprised if Canada overtakes Iran soon with how things are going unless we beat Korea

Comment

Canada have 5 games left. 2 at home and 3 away. Next home game is a tough one against USA, I can see them beating El Salvador away and Jamaica at home but they have to go away to Costa Rica and Panama.

Comment

Originally posted by Altamonte View Post
            I won't be surprised if Canada overtakes Iran soon with how things are going unless we beat Korea
            Yeah that’s not happening.

Comment

They're gonna be a wildcard at the tournament. Alphonso Davies is a beast.

... But we're 100 points ahead of them so I don't believe it's mathematically possible for them to catch us, even if we lose 3 and they win 5.

Comment

They beat US and Mexico lmao, but I'll reach out to you if it does ;p

Comment

They beat US and Mexico lmao, but I'll reach out to you if it does ;p
                  As an Iranian-Canadian I’ve watched all of Canada’a WCQ games (they beat Mexico and tied the USA so far, didn’t beat the USA yet). They’re definitely on the rise with Davies, David, Buchanan, Eustacio and more, but they’re too far down in points to catch Iran by the World Cup draw. Canada won’t be a threat for Pot 2

Comment

Guys just dont get salty if we do miraculously get Pot 2 and every Pot 3 and Pot 4 team fights to the death just to get us in their group.

Comment

Originally posted by Malkay View Post
                      No, they wont. Draw is April 3rd. Intercontinental playoffs are mid June. It'll be weird as I don't think this has ever happened before
                      I think they’ll have to push back the draw. Unless you know the pots for all teams, how can you have a draw? Uruguay or Colombia could be pot 2 vs like.. Saudi pot 4. Makes no sense

Comment

Not possible . If they win all of their games they get 59 points max. right now they are at 1,471 so + 59 = 1530. So not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Payam_Ali View Post
                          I think they’ll have to push back the draw. Unless you know the pots for all teams, how can you have a draw? Uruguay or Colombia could be pot 2 vs like.. Saudi pot 4. Makes no sense
                          I hear you that it makes no sense. It will add confusion to the draw but FIFA confirmed the rescheduled qualifying fixtures (including the intercontinental playoff) a while back and the playoff cannot happen before June as there is no other official international window between then and March.

They published this earlier this month, knowing 2 places will be in decided, confirming the draw will take place on 3rd April

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/abou...3aeae6cb-1000/

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceAli View Post
                            As an Iranian-Canadian I’ve watched all of Canada’a WCQ games (they beat Mexico and tied the USA so far, didn’t beat the USA yet). They’re definitely on the rise with Davies, David, Buchanan, Eustacio and more, but they’re too far down in points to catch Iran by the World Cup draw. Canada won’t be a threat for Pot 2
                            By WC draw they won't catch up, but in more distant future they will. Unless we pull in a quality coach, and under mullah regime fat chance

Comment

Originally posted by Malkay View Post
                              I hear you that it makes no sense. It will add confusion to the draw but FIFA confirmed the rescheduled qualifying fixtures (including the intercontinental playoff) a while back and the playoff cannot happen before June as there is no other official international window between then and March.
                              They published this earlier this month, knowing 2 places will be in decided, confirming the draw will take place on 3rd April
                              https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/abou...3aeae6cb-1000/
                              Could be good for Iran if they made the playoff qualifiers automatically pot 4. Could bump us above a team like Uruguay

Comment

The way results have been going, given how close ranking points will be between qualified teams when this round of qualifiers are finished (USA, Mexico, Colombia and Uruguay have been losing points and African teams have made up ground with AFCON), I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA made pots 2 to 4 geographical. So far we only know pot 1 is Host and Seeds.

Pot 1 - Qatar, Belgium, Brazil, France, England, Argentina, Spain and Italy/Portugal
                                "Pot 2" - 8x European qualifiers
                                "Pot 3" - 5x CAF and 3x automatic CONCACAF
                                "Pot 4" - 4x AFC, 3rd & 4th in CONMEBOL, winner of 5th AFC v 5th CONMEBOL and winner of OFC v 4th CONCACAF

This makes the most sense, geographically, as AFC have a playoff with S America. The OFC v North America playoff being in our group would be the only outlier as there are North American teams in another pot, but they would just make allowances for that in the draw logistics as they will have to do for Qatar with AFC teams and Brazil & Argentina with CONMEBOL teams, no matter how the other pots are laid out. Obviously, those confederation groupings could be in any pot.

To be clear, this isn't official, this is just an educated guess of FIFA looking at the landscape of international football at present, their rankings and wanting to make the draw less complicated, given the 2 unknown teams. There is also precedent for this, per the 2010 World Cup. If this happens it would be favourable for us as South American teams are probably best for us to avoid outside of Germany and Netherlands.

Comment

Working...
                                X