Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Qualifiers - Other Games Thread (AFC & beyond)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
    Just saw the 2 pots for Africa…..I feel bad for CQ, only team Egypt has a shot against is Tunisia. All the other pot 1 teams are much better than Egypt who don’t have nearly as much quality players as they did 10-15 years ago
    Source? Can’t find it anywhere.
    Esteghlal 💙💙

Comment

Just saw the 2 pots for Africa…..I feel bad for CQ, only team Egypt has a shot against is Tunisia. All the other pot 1 teams are much better than Egypt who don’t have nearly as much quality players as they did 10-15 years ago
      I'm confused bro. Which pots are you talking about?

Qualified teams for 3rd round are:

Group Winners
      A Algeria
      B Tunisia
      C Nigeria
      D Cameroon
      E Mali
      F Egypt
      G Ghana
      H Senegal
      I Morocco
      J DR Congo

they will be drawn into five home-and-away ties. I think egypt has good chance beating Congo, Mali , Tunisia and even nigeria. I think we will have egypt in our WC group

Comment

Based on what exactly? Our squad has improved massively since our transition period which fell during the last WC/AFCON. We are unbeaten in our last 15 matches. The only team there I'd want to avoid is Morocco and possibly Senegal. We've always had Nigeria's number and they didn't perform well in a weaker group than ours.

Comment

Originally posted by kastro View Post
          Based on what exactly? Our squad has improved massively since our transition period which fell during the last WC/AFCON. We are unbeaten in our last 15 matches. The only team there I'd want to avoid is Morocco and possibly Senegal. We've always had Nigeria's number and they didn't perform well in a weaker group than ours.
          Welcome my friend. Egypt from 2006-2010 is probably the most impressive african football team to date.
          That team could have done serious damage if qualified for WC. How come you didn’t qualify in 2006 and 2010?

I’m not impressed with your current team(besides Salah ofc) and would rank you behind Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia.
          Esteghlal 💙💙

Comment

Originally posted by peiman92 View Post
            Welcome my friend. Egypt from 2006-2010 is probably the most impressive african football team to date.
            That team could have done serious damage if qualified for WC. How come you didn’t qualify in 2006 and 2010?
            I’m not impressed with your current team(besides Salah ofc) and would rank you behind Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia.
            Thanks for the welcome. The squad that won 3 AFCONS in a row was mainly domestic players. We have a mixed squad of domestic and European based players now but domestic does not mean lack in quality. Our home based players can all easily play in Europe. We have by far the strongest league in Africa and top clubs are rich and it's why clubs are able to retain players. The Moroccan and Tunisian NTs both have players on their squads who play for Egyptian clubs. As for my NT, our back four is probably the best it has been since 2008.

Who are you not impressed with? We have a very good set of attackers in Mostafa Mohamed, Trezeguet, Salah, Marmoush. Have you watched any of these players? Morocco and Algeria would both be 50 50 matches for sure. Tunisia is the weakest of the 'big' African teams.

Comment

Originally posted by peiman92 View Post
              Source? Can’t find it anywhere.
              Originally posted by milad_b View Post
              I'm confused bro. Which pots are you talking about?

Qualified teams for 3rd round are:

Group Winners
              A Algeria
              B Tunisia
              C Nigeria
              D Cameroon
              E Mali
              F Egypt
              G Ghana
              H Senegal
              I Morocco
              J DR Congo

they will be drawn into five home-and-away ties. I think egypt has good chance beating Congo, Mali , Tunisia and even nigeria. I think we will have egypt in our WC group
              I was going off of what I saw on CQ’s IG - sorry if it’s not official or legit but figured it was since it’s coming from the king himself https://www.instagram.com/p/CWbSJckM...dium=copy_link

I was just basing it on what I have seen, which I’m sure isn’t as much as you so I will take your word for it. Senegal, Morocco, Algeria and Nigeria have all looked really good with not too many holes in their teams whereas when watching Egypt lately I felt they had some holes defensively (which is very uncharacteristic of a Queiroz team) and at times rely a bit too much on salah or the other forwards.

I have a lot of Egyptian friends and watched your national team play in the Hassan shehata era and when you guys really dominated the AFCON tournaments and watching you guys play vs Angola and Libya (the one where you guys won 1-0) I didn’t sense that same dominance.

I have also noticed that for whatever reason, historically, Egypt doesn’t usually have success in World Cup qualification but in AFCON they do - why do you think that is? Genuinely curious……
              Team Meli Iran
              Perspolis FC
              Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Do you believe the next world champion is among the teams that have already qualified so far?

Comment

Is it true Romain Molina said UAE Lebanon was fixed ?

Comment

I was going off of what I saw on CQ’s IG - sorry if it’s not official or legit but figured it was since it’s coming from the king himself https://www.instagram.com/p/CWbSJckM...dium=copy_link
                    Oh ok bro lol Maybe The king is playing mind games with us

I was searching all over internet to see whats pot 1 and pot 2 lol

Comment

I was just basing it on what I have seen, which I’m sure isn’t as much as you so I will take your word for it. Senegal, Morocco, Algeria and Nigeria have all looked really good with not too many holes in their teams whereas when watching Egypt lately I felt they had some holes defensively (which is very uncharacteristic of a Queiroz team) and at times rely a bit too much on salah or the other forwards.

I have a lot of Egyptian friends and watched your national team play in the Hassan shehata era and when you guys really dominated the AFCON tournaments and watching you guys play vs Angola and Libya (the one where you guys won 1-0) I didn’t sense that same dominance.
                      I have also noticed that for whatever reason, historically, Egypt doesn’t usually have success in World Cup qualification but in AFCON they do - why do you think that is? Genuinely curious……
                      Nigeria had the weakest group in all of CAF by far and they barely made the playoffs with a home draw in the final round. For context, all three other teams in Egypt's group are stronger than the three in Nigeria's (Liberia, Cape Verde, CAR). Algeria should have missed out too despite having a weaker group. They drew Burkina Faso in Algeria in the final round despite being against the run of play pretty much the entire match. Based off that game alone, I'd say we have a stronger back 4. I watched that match and BF were opening them up at will. If they just finish a couple of their chances, Algeria go out. Only Morocco and Senegal truly worry me and I'd like to avoid them.

On WCQ failures, qualifying from CAF is extremely difficult due to how it's formatted. The balancing of the groups is never done right and as a result you always have a big team or two missing out. We've had miserable luck in this regard even when being the better team. This time around, Ivory Coast were in the same group as Cameroon and will not be in the playoffs even though they're much better than Mali and Congo.

In 2014 WCQ, we lost to Ghana in the final playoff round. They missed out on 2018 after being in our group.

2010 WCQ, we finished level on points and goal difference with Algeria. Only group winner qualified so a one off playoff on a neutral ground was set up on a terrible pitch (Sudan) and we ended up losing 0-1 despite being the better team. We played them in the AFCON 2 months later and beat them 4-0.

2006 WCQ. A very strong Egypt, Ivory Coast, Cameroon are all in the same group where only the group winner advances. That's why that WC had Togo and Angola which weakened Africa's representatives.

Imagine Iran's group had Japan and Saudi Arabia instead of Lebanon and UAE, and only the group winner advances.

Comment

Nigeria had the weakest group in all of CAF by far and they barely made the playoffs with a home draw in the final round. For context, all three other teams in Egypt's group are stronger than the three in Nigeria's (Liberia, Cape Verde, CAR). Algeria should have missed out too despite having a weaker group. They drew Burkina Faso in Algeria in the final round despite being against the run of play pretty much the entire match. Based off that game alone, I'd say we have a stronger back 4. I watched that match and BF were opening them up at will. If they just finish a couple of their chances, Algeria go out. Only Morocco and Senegal truly worry me and I'd like to avoid them.

On WCQ failures, qualifying from CAF is extremely difficult due to how it's formatted. The balancing of the groups is never done right and as a result you always have a big team or two missing out. We've had miserable luck in this regard even when being the better team. This time around, Ivory Coast were in the same group as Cameroon and will not be in the playoffs even though they're much better than Mali and Congo.

In 2014 WCQ, we lost to Ghana in the final playoff round. They missed out on 2018 after being in our group.

2010 WCQ, we finished level on points and goal difference with Algeria. Only group winner qualified so a one off playoff on a neutral ground was set up on a terrible pitch (Sudan) and we ended up losing 0-1 despite being the better team. We played them in the AFCON 2 months later and beat them 4-0.

2006 WCQ. A very strong Egypt, Ivory Coast, Cameroon are all in the same group where only the group winner advances. That's why that WC had Togo and Angola which weakened Africa's representatives.

Imagine Iran's group had Japan and Saudi Arabia instead of Lebanon and UAE, and only the group winner advances.
                        1994 was the most convoluted.
                        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Fair points all around…..Lady Luck wasn’t on our side at all in 2010 WCQs too. Also agree on the difficulties of qualifying in Africa as well, I have always believed it is a super tough competition. But again…..it’s interesting to me that Egypt has no problems dominating those same teams in AFCON but in WCQs it was totally different.

Wish you guys success and with CQ you are in amazing hands!
                          Team Meli Iran
                          Perspolis FC
                          Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

The intercontinental playoffs to qualify for the WC finals will be contested as single games rather than the usual two-legged, home and away format.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. The squad that won 3 AFCONS in a row was mainly domestic players. We have a mixed squad of domestic and European based players now but domestic does not mean lack in quality. Our home based players can all easily play in Europe. We have by far the strongest league in Africa and top clubs are rich and it's why clubs are able to retain players. The Moroccan and Tunisian NTs both have players on their squads who play for Egyptian clubs. As for my NT, our back four is probably the best it has been since 2008.

Who are you not impressed with? We have a very good set of attackers in Mostafa Mohamed, Trezeguet, Salah, Marmoush. Have you watched any of these players? Morocco and Algeria would both be 50 50 matches for sure. Tunisia is the weakest of the 'big' African teams.
                              I’m not impressed with your overall play, Egypt used to dominate opponents. Tunisia is good. Going by 2018 WC, 2019 African Cup and 2022 WCQ performances, i rank them higher than you guys. Morocco and Algeria are 1 level above Egypt.
                              Esteghlal 💙💙

Comment

Originally posted by persiangodfather View Post
                                Canadas pace is unreal. These guys are like track and field competitors. They are blowing by the mexican players every time
                                They treat the game like hockey a lot of N to S and S to N runs. They have pace but the game is played on the backs of a few stars and then really MLS quality support. I think in normal conditions they would prob lose to the top 4 AFC teams. Even Mexico has handled them all these years except for when they set the game up in an igloo. Mexico wont forget this...next time they play Canada will be in sweltering heat and humidity...

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
                                Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Working...
                                X