Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Qualifiers - Other Games Thread (AFC & beyond)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leicester City View Post
    That was a smart substitution by Graham Arnold to change the goalkeeper for the penalty shootout.
    how often does it work?

I've seen it 2 other times.

Talebloo in AC 2007 versus South Korea (didn't work)
    Tim Krull in WC 2014 versus Costa Rica (it worked).

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
      how often does it work?

Not often, but I'm sure they've practiced beforehand in training to implement this with so much on the line.

Comment

how often does it work?

Looks like 50/50 based on your record.

The one with Talebloo was a disaster. This one worked by chance (the Peruvian dude hit the post).

Comment

Originally posted by Omids View Post
          To hold off an assault in the first half requires both planning and readiness on Irans part. The way the team is shaping up right now we have none of that. They fast press will starve us of any possession, the constant raids and overlaps will throw our already fragile defensive lines out of shape creating lot of space for England to pepper shots on goal. One goal early on and possibly the flood gates will open and the prediction 'Its Iranian men, hallelujah!' will come true. It can get ugly.
          Of course, and part of strict organization is mind games. Chelsea under Mourinho kept pushing other teams wide only to cross in and have the ball cleared over and over again (aasab khoort kon).

CQ had Iran slow the game down a lot vs Spain so much that every minute there was a stoppage in the first half.

Its about making the 90 minutes in to phases of play.for Iran we need to survive the first half against England and make our plays second half. Against the other two we need a plan to attack get a goal and break up their plays

Comment

how often does it work?

What's weird is I believe Ryan has a better PK save percentage than Redmayne! I think Arnold brought Redmayne on for his antics and what not. He kept chirping the Peruvian keeper and delayed with the Ref having to speak to him constantly...let's not forget his hyper movements on the line lol.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
            Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

This clearly shows the power of asia. Congrats to Socceroos

Australia barely managed to beat UAE, a team we comfortably beat, even with 10 men. I personally thought Australia would eat UAE with 3 goals but that didn't happen. I wonder what would be their preps for WC. They are kind of in same boat as us, in terms of having friendly matches.

I still believe we can make it to round of 16 with or without skocic. I noticed something with skocic is that if Kanani or Shoja are missing then our DF line would be a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Under Lahaf View Post
                ^I am one of those who was hoping for Peru to win!
                Australia been on my enemy list since 1997
                Peru has been on my enemy list since 1978.

Comment

Japan just lost to tunesia who lost to algeria in arab cup final 3-0 at home lets not panic

Comment

Originally posted by Damavand View Post
                    Peru has been on my enemy list since 1978.
                    Neither Peru nor Australia are on my enemy list.

Australia qualifying is indirectly good for Iran due to AFC being upgraded in ranking vs South America (I don't know the exact algorithm they use and this one instance will most likely only have a small impact, it still will help AFC and Iran in future allocations).

Comment

I am praying to all the gods that I know of that Chris Wood scores a hat trick today
                      Team Meli Iran
                      Perspolis FC
                      Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Originally posted by Ejdeha View Post
                        Japan just lost to tunesia who lost to algeria in arab cup final 3-0 at home lets not panic
                        But they are Japan. They will bounce back against quality opponents.

They have a system and competence. IRIFF and Skocic & Co. have neither.
                        "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

Costs Rica scores early after defensive error by Nz. 1-0 after 3 min.

Game on TSN1 for those in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
                          Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

New Zealand is all over Costa Rica but can't score.

Comment

New Zealand is all over Costa Rica but can't score.
                              Eskootchie didn't want to play New Zealand - they would have been a good team to play.
                              "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

Originally posted by taremiscores View Post
                                Eskootchie didn't want to play New Zealand - they would have been a good team to play.
                                Shame as they are in Qatar, in hindsight would have been an easier friendly to set up before the whole Canada thing happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X