Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Qualifiers - Other Games Thread (AFC & beyond)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
    I think that's fair enough, he took them from an undisciplined team with a lot of division to a stable and united team which reached the AFCON final and a difficult playoff against the best team in Africa.... Losing both on penalties...

If I were him as well I would have a place in my heart for a team which I have helped re-forge.

But I do think he still has a special place for Team Melli, even after leaving he helped make a few phonecalls for some of our players to help with transfers to Liga NOS. Jahanbakhsh said he still was in touch with him every now and again. I have no doubt this crop of players would love to see him back
    I pretty much agree with everything you say, but there are some other things worth mentioning as well. Egypt, with Mohammad Salah, played Senegal three times in the last few months, 120 minutes plus 90 minutes plus 120 minutes. 330 minutes of soccer, basically 3.67 games. Can you guess how many goals Egypt scored? Yes, Egypt with Mo Salah!!!

CQ is a great motivator. He is really dedicated and works hard. But his style of soccer is too conservative to work. Us Iranians like his style because we have a thing called aberoo. We have to save face and hate being embarrassed. With CQ, we can expect a tie or a narrow loss and one in six games, when the other team feels generous and scores an own goal, we may win. But it is aberoomandaneh.

I claim that the Spain of 2018 could be had. We defended for 50 minutes like a scared mouse, with Azmoun close to our own 18 yard box. After they scored and we had to open up, we realized that we could actually give these guys a game, and Spain was actually scared and could not wait for the final whistle. If we played a more balanced game against that Spain 5 times, we may have lost 3 games but we would have won once and tied them once too. But when we play defensively until we go down a goal, then we have a mountain to climb.

The other thread talks about Canada/US attitude vs Iranian attitude. I think our approach against Spain demonstrates very clearly the difference between our attitude and US/Cananda. There is no way US or Canada would play Spain like we did in that first half. I am sure people here in US have heard the saying: "coming in second place means that you are the first place loser." There is no honor for them for an aberomandaneh second place. So they approach things differently. But we play the name, "Spain", and we immediately think, "vay momkeneh aberoomon bereh". Spain and Portugal were nothing special in 2018 and both got eliminated right away in round of 16.

I hope we go for it this WC and play a more balanced football. We have a decent enough team. And if we lose badly, we should not be embarrassed. Brazil lost to Germany 7-1... Its not the end of the world and we can be proud that we gave it a real go.

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
      George Galloway to the rescue
      Did he have an Egyptian wife or something? His 4th marriage or so?

To hell with George Gallaway and his Press TV ass. He knows nothing about nothing. Blithering idiot.
      "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

Originally posted by Team Melli Fan View Post
        As an Iranian-American, I'd like to face either US or Canada. I'm sure a lot of others living in North America would like to as well.
        Iranian Canadian here and don’t want to play Canada at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
          Iranian Canadian here and don’t want to play Canada at all.
          Same. Don't want to split my loyalties. Cheering for both.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
          Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Portugal
            Croatia
            Iran
            Ecuador
            😖

Comment

I got
              Group H
              *Portugal
              *Uruguay
              *Iran
              *Cameroon

Just saying, we will get Uruguay
              Supporting Team Melli

Comment

Originally posted by Keshwardoost View Post
                I got
                Group H
                *Portugal
                *Uruguay
                *Iran
                *Cameroon

Just saying, we will get Uruguay

That's an exhuasting group. Don't like it at all.
                I want to play teams that don't press and just want to pass it around.

The worst for us are speedy teams that press and constantly drive forward, playing very direct football.
                For example, England is tactically very poor compared to most European nations, but they're so fast they would whoop us badly.
                Whereas Spain due to all the possession they love, would give our defense and midfield time to readjust.

No matter what though, it's time for our team to play above themselves consistently. Only way to get to the next stage.

Comment

Comment

Algeria files a complaint. Demands a rematch due to poor officiating.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2...www.google.com

Comment

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post

Ref did nothing wrong lol

The Algeria goal was a handball

Comment

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post

Everyone in Africa wants a rematch it seems. Egypt filed a complaint too.
                        "This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

Originally posted by taremiscores View Post
                          Everyone in Africa wants a rematch it seems. Egypt filed a complaint too.
                          Yep they officially requested a rematch.

https://www.kingfut.com/2022/03/31/e...negal-rematch/

Comment

Didnt want to start a new thread for this, still interesting enough to share so I post it in this thread
                            all over the media atm

Chile make shock request to FIFA to replace Ecuador at World Cup amid claims they picked ineligible player
                            Chris Burton
                            05 May 2022 15:49+02:00

Getty
                            World Cup
                            Chile
                            Ecuador
                            Byron Castillo
                            The South American nation believe that they have been unfairly denied an opportunity to secure a spot at Qatar 2022

Chile have made a shock request to FIFA asking that they be granted qualification for the 2022 World Cup at the expense of Ecuador, who are alleged to have fielded an ineligible player in qualifying.

The man in question is defender Byron Castillo, who was reportedly born in Colombia three years prior to the date stated on documents which have allowed him to identify as being Ecuadorian.

FIFA regulations state that the use of an ineligible player could result in forfeit punishments being handed out, with Chile hoping that will prove to be the case as they seek to secure their own place at Qatar.

Editors' Picks
                            Guardiola must pick up Man City players fast after Real Madrid disappointment and secure Premier League title
                            Arsenal vs Spurs: Who will win the crucial top-four battle for Champions League football?
                            Dawn Astle: How can you justify heading in football when it’s killing people?
                            Bellerin's Arsenal future: What's next for Gunners loan star after Real Betis cup glory?
                            Do Chile have a case against Ecuador?
                            A wider investigation, which has been carried out over several years, has resulted in sanctions being handed out to 75 youth players that were registered in Ecuador using falsified records.

Castillo has formed part of that process ever since he emerged on the senior scene, with Chile adamant that there is a case to answer.

Eduardo Carlezzo, a lawyer representing the Chilean football federation, has told the New York Times: “The level, both in quantity and quality, of the information and evidence that we have been able to collect has surprised even us.

“How could we not act with this level of evidence in our hands?”

Pablo Milad, the president of Chile’s soccer federation, added: “We understand, based on all the information and documents collected, that the facts are too serious and must be thoroughly investigated by FIFA.

“We have always respected the fair play principles and we hope that the other federations do the same.”

Ecuador had initially been wary of fielding Castillo, with concerns over his documentation refusing to go away, and vice president of the country’s football federation, Carlos Manzur, said in March 2021: “I think it’s a matter of playing it safe, avoiding problems.

“I think he is a good player. If it were up to me, I would not have him play for the national team. I would not take that risk. I would not risk everything we are doing.”

Why do Chile have claims to a World Cup spot?
                            Ecuador finished fourth in the CONMEBOL section of World Cup qualification, granting them an automatic passage to the finals in Qatar.

Chile finished seventh, with Peru – who are heading into an inter-continental play-off – and Colombia ending above them in a 10-team group, but Castillo did not figure in games against either of those nations.

He did line up against Chile, though, and they are suggesting that the six points played for in those games should now be awarded to them – a situation which would result in Ecuador losing their place in Group A at the 2022 World Cup alongside Senegal, the Netherlands and hosts Qatar.

There have already been a number of other instances this year when it comes to nations requesting action from FIFA over supposed misdemeanours.

Article continues below
                            Conte wants Spurs to be fearless against Liverpool
                            Tottenham face quadruple-chasing Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday.

Pause

Mute
                            Current Time
                            0:06
                            /
                            Duration
                            1:38

Fullscreen

Close
                            Egypt and Algeria had called for the second legs of their respective play-off games against Senegal and Cameroon respectively to be replayed as a result of laser-pointing from the stands and questionable performances from match officials.

FIFA punishments have been handed out to those involved, but the outcome of said fixtures have been allowed to stand.
                            https://www.goal.com/en-my/news/chil...f6580de98628c2
                            Supporting Team Melli

Comment

Malta vs Venezuela: http://www.sawlive.tv/embedm/stream/...WmRhdW15K2lpam

Comment

Australia vs Jordan friendly, live link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsvDoukhKYg

Comment

Working...
                                X