This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diz View Post
    Who’s to say SC isn’t saving Mehdi for the return leg in Rome? They’ll surely need him more in Rome, as they’ll be playing away and Lazio’s main striker (Ciro Immobile) may be back then too. Definitely a tougher match.
    They used one target striker in majorities of the matches in last 2 months.
    With Fabio Vieira in shape, i don't see him changing the line up to two strikers in return leg.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ardalan View Post
      Diz jan, Toni Martínez dota gol zad be Lazio.
      Fekr nemikoni baraye hamin dar baazie bargasht dobare dar tarkibe asli baashe bekhaatere in do gol?
      Possibly, and perhaps SC will keep Toni for Europa matches, and Mehdi for League matches. But Toni had also been without a goal for 4 months (until the Lazio match), so you can argue it both ways, I imagine =)

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
        They used one target striker in majorities of the matches in last 2 months.
        With Fabio Vieira in shape, i don't see him changing the line up to two strikers in return leg.

Porto typically plays with two attackers up front, and a winger that plays quite forward to aid in attacks (Luis Diaz' former role). Against, Lazio, they played a 4-3-3 (Toni, Veira, little Pepe). You can argue the semantics of striker vs. winger, but they don't play with a single striker.

Comment

Regardless of how you want to spin it, Mehdi has not started 4 out of the last 5 matches for Porto, which is concerning.

I think he's still an important player, but as of today, he's more of a rotational player than a fixed starter. I think the goal drought really did him under.

Porto is a very young team (especially in attack) so it's natural they're looking at their other options. As Iran_19 jan said (which is why I always appreciate his blunt honesty), when established international players like Sergio Olivera and Jesus 'Tecatito' Corona are benched and eventaully shipped off, we can't expect Mehdi to be a fixed starter in every single match.

Will Mehdi start some games? Yes. Will he be benched some games? Yes. Can this change in the future? Of course.

Admittedly, Porto looked different in attack with Toni yesterday (and perhaps, a bit more lethal). I still think Mehdi offers so much more all around than Toni, Evanilson, but the other strikers aren't as far off as we'd like to think.

Depending on how he ends this season, I can imagine Mehdi staying one more year at Porto. Although I'd love to see how he'd do in a better league, I wouldn't mind the inevitable move to Braga so he can reconnect with Carlos Carvahal, and play an important role for a very good EL team in the twilight of his career.

Comment

Lets not forget that when Mehdi joined Porto, he was the 4th option behind Marrega, Evanilson and Martinez. He only got himself into the starting lineup because his result on the pitch couldn't deny him playing time. Fact is, the ceiling for Evanilson and Martinez is much higher than Mehdi because of their age. If those two had developed a bit quicker, I believe that Porto would've shipped off Mehdi last summer for a great flip but at this point, I don't doubt the fact that Porto is looking to move on forward with a younger lineup.
            "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon,"

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post
              Regardless of how you want to spin it, Mehdi has not started 4 out of the last 5 matches for Porto, which is concerning.

I think he's still an important player, but as of today, he's more of a rotational player than a fixed starter. I think the goal drought really did him under.

Porto is a very young team (especially in attack) so it's natural they're looking at their other options. As Iran_19 jan said (which is why I always appreciate his blunt honesty), when established international players like Sergio Olivera and Jesus 'Tecatito' Corona are benched and eventaully shipped off, we can't expect Mehdi to be a fixed starter in every single match.

Will Mehdi start some games? Yes. Will he be benched some games? Yes. Can this change in the future? Of course.

Admittedly, Porto looked different in attack with Toni yesterday (and perhaps, a bit more lethal). I still think Mehdi offers so much more all around than Toni, Evanilson, but the other strikers aren't as far off as we'd like to think.

Depending on how he ends this season, I can imagine Mehdi staying one more year at Porto. Although I'd love to see how he'd do in a better league, I wouldn't mind the inevitable move to Braga so he can reconnect with Carlos Carvahal, and play an important role for a very good EL team in the twilight of his career.
              Great post,.

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post

Great post with logical points. The only thing I have to say is that Mehdi started against Benfica and Sporting. And some of his recent games that he did not start was because he was playing for Iran or when he came back super tired and needed a rest. The other point is that had SC started Evanilson yesterday, I would have understood. But he benched Evanilson and started Toni who had not started in god knows how long.

The next few weeks will be interesting, but you guys are getting me nervous!!!!

Comment

All this speculation aside - the numbers clearly show in terms of production, no one in Porto can compete with Taremi!
                  That in itself should be the main decider.

Comment

The club put emphasis on young players in mid and forwards to cash on them.
                    Mehdi living a 2 decent yrs at Porto, if things continue to be the same, he needs to move to another club in top 4 league this time.
                    He will be 30 soon...
                    I doubt things get better for him in level of playing time at porto on regular basis

Comment

When we look at the trajectory of Mehdi's career at Porto there are ups and downs. Some I can explain logically and some I can't. For example, when he first started at Porto, it took a while to find himself in the starting 11 for league games. That was understandable since he was being acclimated with the team and the new system so he got to come in as a sub or start in cup games until his performance earned him a starting 11 position in the league matches. The unexplained ones even happened last year when he was performing at peak level. For example, in the second QF CL match against Chelsea, he was brought in on minute 60 and then scored the bicycle kick goal that received many awards. He missed the first match vs Chelseas because he picked up a red in the return match vs. Juve. I could not explain why he did not start the second Chelsea match.

Now again, certain SC's decisions leave me dumbfounded and I can not explain them. Not starting on several matches in a row then starting vs Benfica and Sporting (not in that order) and then again not starting vs Lazio. Since I don't have all the facts I started to speculate prior to the Sporting match that he lost his starting position. Then I was happily surprised that he started and shined. Then I expected him to start vs Lazio. Then I was surprised that he didn't start and said, ok he is coming in as a sub. Then he didn't come in at all. The least I can say is that at some point I was under the impression that Mehdi was indispensable and that's definitely no longer the case. I have absolutely no idea how many minutes he will get in the next two matches.

Go Mehdi!

Comment

The CL non-start against Chelsea was a complete and utter mini stroke on SC's part, no question about that (Porto was the only team to beat Chelsea in that CL tourney, and Mehdi's goal and win brought Porto some much needed cash from the CL). But I don't think the other non-starts are brain lapses by SC. I think he is thinking of how best to rotate all his players into various matches/cups/tournaments and get the outcome he needs (which is wins). It's a formula that has worked for Porto for a long time. They were on a tremendous winning streak before the tie with Sporting. We all would LOVE to see Mehdi start and play 90 minutes every match, but that's just not possible with the incredibly busy schedule Porto has been given. Even if Mehdi was 21, it would be a challenge for him to run 90 minutes every 3-4 days (and he puts in a lot of km's due to his excellent defensive work). Mehdi still has a lot of game and gas left in his tank, but I'm glad SC is being cautious and not using him like a race horse until he gets injured or burns out.

Comment

Comment

looks set to be starting now vs tokhmy relegation club and then again benched vs lazio next thursday..!?

Comment

Originally posted by BacheLot View Post
                              looks set to be starting now vs tokhmy relegation club and then again benched vs lazio next thursday..!?
                              Although rationally I can go with some of the explanations given by many about him being rested, the league title being the most important etc., my gut feeling is just like yours!

Champions and Europa league are simply the highest level games any player can play in after the world cup.

And like you said, Taremi specifically chose Porto for that reason over more money being offered by other good clubs.

Porto better win the title with Taremi getting an important role if they are holding back playing him in the EL!

Comment

Lets face it, there is a big difference between our expectation and assessment of our players in Europe and how their coaches perceive that.
                                1. Mehdi is close 2nd to Mo Salah and maybe at the same level of Sadio Mane. Porto coaching staff think he is a bit better than Evanlison and Toni Martinez and the truth is somewhere in between. The coaches feel they will get enough scoring chances with Evanilson and Toni and played them in the home game where they went for the win. In return leg, they may go with Taremi becuase he can defend and press better while keeping the same level of scoring oppurtunity or they may want to risk and still play Toni.
                                2. Azmoon: We think he should have gone to Liverpool and are mad because he did not go there and we were all up in arms that why is he considering Lyon. I honestly think if he had gone to Liverpool, He would be same as Minamino and Origi.
                                Lets be realistic for Azmoun as well, he may not start soon not be a starter soon as Bayer offense is on fire .

Comment

Working...
                                X