Saman Ghoddos @ Brentford FC | 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leicester City View Post
    I see your example Nokhodi. I was only joking about the bias post - I'm sorry if I offended you
    No offense taken.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
        Brentford winning 2-0.5 against an impressive Palace side and PFDC berating the manager. Iconic.
        I think the issue is with some of the ‘square pegs in the round holes’, Canos being played out of position in a couple of different areas hasn’t always worked and the lack of back up for Toney. Forss was let out on loan, they obviously didn’t see him as being good enough to play in the Premier League at the moment. It would have been good if they got someone in to replace him too, difficult as it is to get a decent striker to come knowing they won’t be starting most games.
        Similarities to the difficulties that Brighton faced.

Comment

Weird game. Frantic 1st half, end to end, with both sides pressing off the ball for long spells... Palace clearly the fitter team as Brentford were completely sluggish in the 2nd half until the last 15 minutes (similar to against Man Utd, which they got punished for in a game of two halves).

Both teams had dominant spells in the 1st half and though Brentford had the better "chances", per the xG and game "highlights" being skewed in their favour, it didn't feel like either team had the end product in the final third of the pitch.

Brentford's attacking play created a few half chances but no real end product to put them away whereas their defence, to a man, were excellent and stifled most of Palace attacking spells. Palace were much better on and off the ball in the game, keeping possession, winning the ball, holding their shape, etc but lacked any real creativity to meaningfully trouble Brentford. I don't remember them really testing Raya until the end of the game (his first of 3 saves was on the 70th minute) but it felt like they had a million corners... I need to look at that stat. Their highest scoring chance came in the first half from a counter attacking break after misplaced pass by Norgaard, which Ayew shot high and wide under pressure from a defender.

Both teams could have had penalties on another day. A draw was probably the fairest result on the balance of play and quality of chances and finishing.

Their biggest challenge of the season lies in their run of games in 2 weeks time; Newcastle and Burnley at home and Norwich away. Avoiding defeat in all with a win against one of the latter 2 gives them a very strong chance of avoiding relegation. 32 or 33 points should be enough to see them safe.

Lastly, there was a nice moment when Brentford players were doing a lap of the pitch and a young boy held a small Iran flag, the other players brought it to Ghoddos' attention, he went over and spoke to the dad and he gestured to meet them outside. I recognised them waiting for the players as I was leaving the ground... Mind you, they didn't look Iranian at all

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
            I’ve used this example before. West European coaches are like dudes who have been given the keys to a F1 car on a f1 circuit. They just have to maintain and use their talent.

Whereas in Iran, you’re lucky to have all of the parts for one fiat.
            Your comparisons in your posts make no sense... Your questioning the ability of a manager with the lowest playing budget in the league. 20th out of 20 in the amount they spend on salaries. Palace have the 10th highest salary. Both games have been 0-0 and Brentford have created better chances in those 2 games. They may not be pretty on and off the ball for 90 minutes every game but they have the most inferior squad in the league yet they have created equal to or better scoring chances than most of their opponents in games this season. They're generally creating their fair share of chances from set pieces or open play, despite seeing less possession of the ball or having players with the quality on the ball to do something special out of nothing.

Tactically what do you want him to do? Play a more attacking line up / formation with one of the worst quality squads in league and be like Norwich, losing 4-0 and 5-0 to City, 7-0 to Chelsea, 5-0 to Arsenal? Half the teams in this league play to survive and have to play to their limited strengths to do so. Brentford are doing that better than most of the others.

To start bringing a different league into the conversation about Frank's tactics and ability with his squad is comparing apples to oranges. They could have 100 times the budget of any PGPL team, they're not playing against those teams so it's pointless to talk about. If, God forbid for his own career, he found himself managing in that league and there was a more even distribution of budgets and player ability than there is in PL, however limited that is on a global scale, I'm sure he'd play differently (like a Brentford did in the Championship).

You can only judge him and his "resources" in the league the team competes in. He has the lowest resources... by far! They're in the highest position of all promoted teams... The other 2 teams have sacked their managers during the season because of the positions they're in. Don't let your bias over the lack of opportunity he gives Ghoddos cloud very obvious, irrefutable facts that Brentford are punching well above their weight in this league under his management. If they get relegated, so be it. If they finish 17th or higher, it's been a successful season.

Comment

Originally posted by Medzdidz View Post
              Most importantly Sergi Canos playing shop assistant in the local chip shop.
              Thanks a lot, Canos. I defend him from this and he puts in yet another worst man of the match performance (probably tied with Wissa). He was lucky not to be sent off.

What some of these performances he puts in shows is that he's nowhere near the level to be starting in a Premier League team every week. If they stay up, they desperately need a RB/RWB and for him to be a utility squad player next season, mostly on the bench. His only saving grace is that he looks like he's giving 100% and trying his best every week, sadly sometimes his best isn't nearly good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Malkay View Post
                Thanks a lot, Canos. I defend him from this and he puts in yet another worst man of the match performance (probably tied with Wissa). He was lucky not to be sent off.

What some of these performances he puts in shows is that he's nowhere near the level to be starting in a Premier League team every week. If they stay up, they desperately need a RB/RWB and for him to be a utility squad player next season, mostly on the bench. His only saving grace is that he looks like he's giving 100% and trying his best every week, sadly sometimes his best isn't nearly good enough.
                That’s all good and your draw helped me win a 150/1 so I’ll take that too 🙂

Their is no faulting his commitment and ultimately he is a player where it is not really know what his best position is. As a utility player he will always struggle to nail down a set position I think. I remember when he was at Liverpool there was a lot of talk around him when he first came over and he showed rare glimpses of his talent in the cup games that he would play in. He used to be one of the more senior of the youth players that would get a game.
                Was it a loan season he had with you first? From what I remember he put some impressive performances in but then injury curtailed his progress. Then BMW happened and after that he was always more of an afterthought and ended up in the team for a couple of reasons, lack of other options and also the signing of Ghoddos as they quickly realised he wasn’t a like for like replacement for Benrahma.
                Then he ended up this season replacing Dalsgaard.

Comment

Originally posted by Malkay View Post
                  Your comparisons in your posts make no sense... Your questioning the ability of a manager with the lowest playing budget in the league. 20th out of 20 in the amount they spend on salaries. Palace have the 10th highest salary. Both games have been 0-0 and Brentford have created better chances in those 2 games. They may not be pretty on and off the ball for 90 minutes every game but they have the most inferior squad in the league yet they have created equal to or better scoring chances than most of their opponents in games this season. They're generally creating their fair share of chances from set pieces or open play, despite seeing less possession of the ball or having players with the quality on the ball to do something special out of nothing.
                  Tactically what do you want him to do? Play a more attacking line up / formation with one of the worst quality squads in league and be like Norwich, losing 4-0 and 5-0 to City, 7-0 to Chelsea, 5-0 to Arsenal? Half the teams in this league play to survive and have to play to their limited strengths to do so. Brentford are doing that better than most of the others.
                  To start bringing a different league into the conversation about Frank's tactics and ability with his squad is comparing apples to oranges. They could have 100 times the budget of any PGPL team, they're not playing against those teams so it's pointless to talk about. If, God forbid for his own career, he found himself managing in that league and there was a more even distribution of budgets and player ability than there is in PL, however limited that is on a global scale, I'm sure he'd play differently (like a Brentford did in the Championship).
                  You can only judge him and his "resources" in the league the team competes in. He has the lowest resources... by far! They're in the highest position of all promoted teams... The other 2 teams have sacked their managers during the season because of the positions they're in. Don't let your bias over the lack of opportunity he gives Ghoddos cloud very obvious, irrefutable facts that Brentford are punching well above their weight in this league under his management. If they get relegated, so be it. If they finish 17th or higher, it's been a successful season.
                  First of all, appreciate your thoughtful and well detailed response as always.

Second, too much thought is being put in my mostly throwaway comment in the heat of the game.

Third - not to get too philosophical but what makes a good manager ? For me, managers are not a universal fit for every job. Some managers are survival artists (Pulis, big Sam, Hodgson) Some are tactical geniuses but can’t handle egos. Some can deal with superstars and let them do what they want on the field (Zidane). Some are made for elimination tournaments (Benitez), and some for long league runs (Guardiola). Some build (Klopp), some utilize the best talent available (Mourinho).
                  Frank to me is somewhere in the good survivors category. It doesn’t make him an all time great, simply a survivor.

He’s not a tactical genius, he’s not some scout of prodigal talent… he’s a really good project manager in a company with little money (as you say). That’s it.

In short, I don’t buy the hype for him. He’s ok. Not bad. Not great.
                  Last edited by Nokhodi; 02-13-2022, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Saman with two assist in their practice game it seems.

Eriksen also played.

"This is a totalitarian system whose presence people feel in their blood and in their flesh on a daily basis. And it’s one that does not grant freedoms of any kind, or accommodate people’s demands in any way. What is increasingly clear is that there is clear demand for change in the regime. What the people want is regime change, and no return to the past. There is a very real possibility of regime change." - Nasrin Sotoudeh

Comment

Originally posted by taremiscores View Post
                      Saman with two assist in their practice game it seems.
                      Eriksen also played.
                      Both assists for Dasilva , they definitely have a connection together.

Comment

I feel like Saman is being played out of position, think he’s a better fit at LW if you look at his stats in Sweden, 2018 World Cup when he was used as a winger he did well. He doesn’t have the defensive ability to play in the middle of the field as a CAM/CM would like to see Skocic play Saman at LW, Jahanbaksh at RW, mover Amiri to CM/LB sub in Gholi after 70 minutes.

Comment

Saman showing of

Comment

nice assists by saman. Would love to see a 4231 with Norgard and JDS at the base, Saman, Eriksen and Mbuemo under Toney. Game finished 3-2 by the way.

Comment

Comment

forget about starting...what are the chances he'd be afforded any more than 10-12 min in today's match..?

hoping Toney is still busted and sammy gets a run out again in mostly attacking striker sorta position..!
                                Last edited by BacheLot; 02-18-2022, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X