Saman Ghoddos @ Brentford FC | 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ParthianDE View Post
    I didn't watch the game and thus have no opinion on his performance, but wanted to contribute the following to bring some balance to overly positive portrait many have given here. Like many times on many forums, there seems to often be a huge disconnect and range of opinions.
    I did a brief web search and all four first hits had him rated just about average. So here we go:
    Saman Ghoddos (5.5/10)- The Iranian international came on in the second half. He was sloppy on the ball and didn’t find the right balls.
    source: https://firstsportz.com/brantford-vs...layer-ratings/
    Saman Ghoddos (LWB) - 6/10
    source: https://www.90min.com/posts/brentford-2-1-aston-villa-player-ratings-premier-league
    Saman Ghoddos
    Did very well at left wing-back against Villa's right-hand side duo Matty Cash and Bertrand Traore. 6
    source: https://www.football.london/brentfor...rslev-22626495
    Saman Ghoddos 6.8 (team average: 6.89)
    source: https://www.sofascore.com/brentford-aston-villa/Psab
    Make of this what you will, but it looks far from glowing reviews...
    Maybe you should take a look at his team mates ratings also. The thing is, he came on and changed the game. He was superb as LWB also and saved Brentfords ass a couple of times

Comment

Originally posted by BacheLot View Post
      imo, Sammy definitely played the impact-sub role to near perfection yesterday ...!!
      AV were dominating brentford at their house all first half, barring the one isolated chance that resulted in the equalizing goal ...!!
      in 2nd half AV came on hot N heavy again and for most part pin brentford deep in their own half and looked very likely to eventually get their winner from them at some point, possibly late in 2nd half..! Before Saman's entry Brentford simply looked by enlarge tame and toothless on their Counter-attacking play, so AV unworried about counter kept pressing them further up in their half of the pitch ..!
      the Attacking/countering spark/outlet that Saman provided in absence of injured Canos can not be understated tbh... after his intro Brentford looked a far more dangerous counter attacking team and despite still conceding most of the possession stats to AV, they looked the more likely team to get the eventual winner which they did, thanks in large part to Saman and Janlet's intro from the bench..!

regardless of ☝️ , what was disappointing was the fact that barring the injury to Canos, Frank wasnt looking to get saman on till later in the 2nd half, most probably after conceding the lead to AV again..?
      Also that you can Still see Saman is uncomfortable playing a mostly defensive role as a LWB..!! He just naturally looks more comfortable pushing up into attack than reverting into a more defensive role and eager to do so often ..!!
      nonetheless, he looked more energetic and aggressive defending down his wing yesterday than in his former cameo appearances..! he barely connected with a couple of risky tackles that another day coulda been whistled fouls that warranted bookings..?
      from defensive perspective, To me, he still gives his immediate markers a bit Too much Space for maneuvering past him or to send services into their box and probably would serve him best if he tightened up that defensive stance a bit and get more in their face pressing, that would get him more playing time favors from Frank..!!?
      perhaps my best defensive Advice to him from my old playing days would be is that he certainly has the size and strength to be able to play a more combative style of defending and crowding up his immediate markers bit more.... The key to doing so effectively and not get juked and brushed aside by the pacy and fancy foot wingers in this league is good balance and more importantly FOCUSiNG SOLELY on the BALL and Positioning your body so its always blocking the danger service zone ..... most defenders get blown by easily because they get loose sight of the Ball and instead get fooled by the the marker's Body leans/shoulder, fancy step over etc..!!
      Great post! Thanks for those insights.

It's very encouraging to hear that Saman has played wih more aggression and that his defensive abilities have improved. Hopefully he keeps developing those areas you mentioned. Like you said he should also use his naturally strong - low center of gravity - body more.

A Saman Ghoddos that adds more defensive prowess and agression to his already good AM and general attacking qualities would be a huge benefit to TM.

His calmness on the ball and measured and intelligent passes (what I have observed in his TM appearances) combined with more assertiveness and upgraded defensive abilities should finally give him more appearances in TM.

Also reg. the Leftback position: even though he is more confrtable and probably at the moment better in an attacking position, what if he keeps developing his left back role to the point where he becomes an option for TM? Maybe he would be worth more there as it's harder to find great left back players. It certainly doesn't hurt to have more options there.

PS: Regarding his last game, I now just watched the highlights (so I still can't say much about his whole appearance), but the assist by whoever on the first goal was beautiful!

Comment

https://www.90min.com/posts/brentfor...ykhaylo-mudryk

Brentford negotiating with Shakhtar Donetsk for Mykhaylo Mudryk. Interesting how EPL clubs (Everton, Brentford, etc...) are now turning to Ukraine for players.

Comment

Originally posted by Leicester City View Post
          https://www.90min.com/posts/brentfor...ykhaylo-mudryk
          Brentford negotiating with Shakhtar Donetsk for Mykhaylo Mudryk. Interesting how EPL clubs (Everton, Brentford, etc...) are now turning to Ukraine for players.
          unless your name is allahyar and your an iranian

allahyar had a better season than him and hes the same age

hate this shit. our boys suffer because of fu***n islamic republic.

Comment

Originally posted by ParthianDE View Post
            Great post! Thanks for those insights.
            It's very encouraging to hear that Saman has played wih more aggression and that his defensive abilities have improved. Hopefully he keeps developing those areas you mentioned. Like you said he should also use his naturally strong - low center of gravity - body more.
            A Saman Ghoddos that adds more defensive prowess and agression to his already good AM and general attacking qualities would be a huge benefit to TM.
            His calmness on the ball and measured and intelligent passes (what I have observed in his TM appearances) combined with more assertiveness and upgraded defensive abilities should finally give him more appearances in TM.
            Also reg. the Leftback position: even though he is more confrtable and probably at the moment better in an attacking position, what if he keeps developing his left back role to the point where he becomes an option for TM? Maybe he would be worth more there as it's harder to find great left back players. It certainly doesn't hurt to have more options there.
            PS: Regarding his last game, I now just watched the highlights (so I still can't say much about his whole appearance), but the assist by whoever on the first goal was beautiful!
            Thought I'd add my two cents as I was actually at this game and while I do prefer to watch the overall game play rather than focus on individuals, I found myself drawn to watching Saman off the ball as this was the first time seeing him live in this new LWB cameo birth.

Most of the members here (and the Brentford fans on their forum) are quite right, he put in another solid performance - a few errant passes (corners that didn't beat the first man) but naturally creative players like him (and Jensen) make a lot of ambitious passes for which a high number do go incomplete or look terrible, it's the burden of being that type of player so allowances should be made.

Much like in his other recent LWB sub performances, he has really offered something different when he's come on and had a really bullish attitude doing so. Sometimes he's a bit strong in the tackle and has picked up some unnecessary yellow cards but I like the Saman I've seen in the last couple of weeks. He's playing with a bit of frustration and desire to show what he can do on the pitch as any good pro in his position would. I fear he will be reduced to a super sub, particularly at LWB as he doesn't have the defensive awareness or speed and mobility to play that position from the start, most right sided forwards in this division will eat him alive over 90 mins. Even with Onyeka at AFCON, he's down the pecking order of being part of a 3 man midfield and there's only room for one of him and Jensen... and that will continue to be Jensen while he's fit.

Anyway, one thing you all won't have seen on camera was the amount he was communicating with the touchline (Frank and his assistant) whilst on the pitch. At times the exchanges looked heated (Saman dismissively waving at them) but I suspect what was happening was they were coaching him on his defensive positioning (particularly during dead ball situations and set pieces) and having to repeat themselves, it's more than understandable on his part as he's in a position that is completely foreign to him and won't have had the years of training others rely on. It's hardly a Mourinho v Luke Shaw situation but the exchanges did remind me of that.

As for Brentford, first half was below par to say the least. A moment of quality from Wissa after 30 odd passes across the backline reminiscent of Brighton last season but that's why teams do it against opposition like Villa that were disciplined in their shape and approach to the game for most of the first half. It only takes a team a couple of seconds to go from back to front and score, particularly Brentford who are one of the quickest teams at progressing up the pitch from box to box this season - at least they were before Raya got injured.

But yeah, poor first half - Thomas Frank admitted it himself in his post match interview. But they found their groove in the second half in part due to the tactical changes Frank made, the performance of Saman, Norgaard, the defence and Fernandez (who's getting better game by game) and also Villa taking their foot off the gas and struggling to string together passes - bearing in mind Villa were the only team in the game for the first half hour.

Brentford are on 23 points at pretty much the half way point of the season. Another 4 wins should see them safe I think. My next game will probably be at home to Newcastle in February. I hope I'm not watching Azmoun on the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
              What a fkkking joke. Starting against Port vale??? Seriously, he just start low division games in cup but at soon they play a top team in cup, he is benched
              Would be a good team for stat padding.

Btw, he is 2nd for most assists in EFL Cup: https://www.besoccer.com/competition...p/2022/assists

Only Nicolas Pepe of Arsenal has more who is ranked 1st

Comment

Last training before Port Vale tomorrow for FA Cup 7am PST

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
                  Last training before Port Vale tomorrow for FA Cup 7am PST
                  https://www.livesoccertv.com/match/4...-vs-brentford/

ESPN+ wil broadcast

Comment

Saman starting in the FA cup match!

Comment

Starting as expected

Comment

Is he starting at wing back? Cant tell from the lineup.

Comment

What happened ... i thought kickoff was at 8am..? any links out there ..?
                          nothing yet on soccerstreams

Comment

Kickoff is at 7 am pacifc, BL jan.

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post
                              Is he starting at wing back? Cant tell from the lineup.

It looks like Thompson and Stevens are

Comment

?looks to be RCM
                                Last edited by BacheLot; 01-08-2022, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X