Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now is the time for the coaching staff to begin preparations for the World Cup, while ensuring we secure at least 10 of the remaining 12 points. Due to lack of quality in the group, this can be done at the same time. The pressing issues, as far as I see them:
    * We need to have a plan for every situation. I am actually reasonably confident of us chasing a game (except for leaving our CBs exposed, more on that below), but we need better tactical changes for when we are trying to hold onto a lead in the World Cup. We cannot rely on someone like Sarlak as our main defensive sub.
    * Our main weakness is Shoja. He has had a very poor last few games. It isn’t just his poor passes and positioning. He gives away extremely AMATEUR fouls. There have been so many times he has given away a foul in our own half against a striker where he has jumped on the strikers back for a header, when there was no danger at all. At the WC, we will be punished on set pieces. It’s a dumb foul to give away, and he does it at least twice a game. It is infuriating.
    * Our pressing will work against weak Asian/Arab opponents (I am actually very impressed that we have finally started doing this against these teams who struggle to play under pressure), but this sort of defence will NOT work against stronger teams. We need a defensive plan to sit deep as well, if we press strong teams we will be extremely exposed at the back. The only times we have looked vulnerable this WCQ campaign is when the opposition passes their way around our press, exposing gaps in the midfield and space in front of CBs. Arab teams play “bezan ziresh” when pressed high, Europeans and South Americans will be comfortable.
    * I think we need to stick to a midfield 3, with Amiri, Ezza and Ahmad. This means Taremi on the left of a 4-2-3-1, and also means that one of AJ/Gholi start from the bench, depending on the opponent. We can switch to a front 2 if behind, but against strong opponents we cannot play a front 2.

The remaining games need to be used to address these problems, as we know we won’t have many quality friendlies before WC next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gol Bezan View Post
      Can someone PLEASE ASK him why he wants to come back at his age. Doesn't he think that younger players might be better able to help the team, isn't it time to let go and support the team in other ways?

Comment

We just need one more win to guarantee our spot right?

Comment

Originally posted by AminGP View Post
          We just need one more win to guarantee our spot right?
          We are essentially qualified, no worries there.

We need all the wins we can get though, to increase our FIFA ranking prior to the WC Pot selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
            I wonder if wilmots follows Iran's progress.
            I also wonder if he does, what exactly goes thru his mind. "Damn, I must be one seriously incompetent idiot to have the very same players and still get those results!"
            I am really interested in what CQ's thoughts on Skokic and the current team are

Comment

Originally posted by scuderia View Post
              Can someone PLEASE ASK him why he wants to come back at his age. Doesn't he think that younger players might be better able to help the team, isn't it time to let go and support the team in other ways?
              He’s been helpful to TM whenever he’s played, despite the nonsense said on the forums here. Age doesn’t matter, if he can help the team, he should be invited.
              Ma Bishomarim

"!خدایا ایستاده مردن را نصبیم کن که از نشسته زیستن در زلت خسته ام"
              محمد مختاری -

"Lord, let me die standing, as I am tired of living in indignity and on my knees"
              - Mohammad Mokhtari

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post
                We are essentially qualified, no worries there.

We need all the wins we can get though, to increase our FIFA ranking prior to the WC Pot selection.
                a tie with UAE is enough

Comment

Originally posted by Hosseini View Post
                  I'm sure he is happy we are doing well. He probably would propose some things to strengthen our defense but is probably busy arranging things with Egypt.

Wilmot probably doesn't think about Iran unless he's buying something for himself with the money he made off of us

Comment

Wilmot's mind "Damn, I did really well, I turned a disastrous result to multimillion Euro windfall"

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamer View Post
                      He’s been helpful to TM whenever he’s played, despite the nonsense said on the forums here. Age doesn’t matter, if he can help the team, he should be invited.
                      He not good now, no offense but he's washed out and gets stupid red cards all the time and then cries dramatically coming off the field

Comment

He was good in 2010WCQ, that’s all. He should have retired after asian cup in 2011.
                        This guy almost cost us the 2014 and 2022 WC with his stupid red cards. 1 good game against Argentina and Bahrain doesn’t make up for 50 bad games.
                        Esteghlal 💙💙

Comment

No he hasn’t.

Shojaei is a classy guy off the field but he has had some horrible TM games. Iran-Korea in 2012 or 13 when he got red carded in Tehran.
                          Iran-Iraq where in 2019 where he again got red carded.

Really poor in Iran-Morocco.

One of those guys who despite generally poor play for TM won a lot of caps.

Comment

It's little surprise he fancies another go having just seen Rafiei get a call-up and Sarlak become an integral member of our midfield. A few more Daneshmand classic team selections and my amoo Nader from Tabriz may signal his availibility too.

Comment

actually I dont see that as relevant. At best he may follow our progress on and off.
                              we shd not treat CQ as if he's tattooed TM on his forehead

Comment

Originally posted by Gol Bezan View Post
                                Very kind of you, appreciate that!
                                Arya and the team at Gol Bezan, keep up the good work.

As you know I am huge fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X