Should Skocic use a 2 striker system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Skocic use a 2 striker system?

What do you guys think? I think it’s an interesting convo for a number of reasons:

- the striker position has become the area we have the most depth in for some time. we also don’t have a ton of depth in the CM position which has become an area of weakness - some 2 striker systems can take away from the reliance on 3 CMs like we have been used to.

- azmoun is used to playing in a 2 striker system and can thrive with Taremi next to him as we have already seen.

- on the flip side, we saw a transition in style hurt us with wilmots. I am of the opinion it was more the coach and his tactics (or lack there of) that was more of the reason for the downfall more than just him looking to switch from a defensive to offensive style.

I personally am in favor of a 4-4-2 with Taremi + Azmoun with JB and Ghoddoos on the wings. I think Skocic needs to risk a bit and test this out in our friendlies (god willing they don’t fall through) in September so we’re ready to go and have used it in 4-5 matches before we play Iraq and Bahrain.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Team Meli Iran
    Perspolis FC
    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Yeah I think he should, Axmoun has shown that he thrives in a 2 striker system

Comment

I dont think so. I think he should keep the same CQ system. Taremi should start as LW but effectively acts as a second striker without compromising our defensive shape.

TM does not have the midfielders or defenders of enough quality to play in a 4-4-2 system with just 2 mids. We would be exposed very badly without the ball.

Comment

Azmoun and Taremi were effectively a two striker formation when attacking. It was a great combo. We saw what happens when one gets taken out (Asian Cup semis against Japan).

Comment

We shouldn't. Just because are light of centre mids doesn't mean we just don't use them and play a striker instead.

We need to have 3 in the middle at all times in my opinion, whether it's a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1. The option of having Taremi as an inside forward coming in off the left is far more useful for us.
          golbezanpodcast.com
          twitter.com/GolBezan
          instagram.com/GolBezan
          youtube.com/GolBezan

Comment

Azmoun + Rezaei is the combo we need.

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
              I dont think so. I think he should keep the same CQ system. Taremi should start as LW but effectively acts as a second striker without compromising our defensive shape.

TM does not have the midfielders or defenders of enough quality to play in a 4-4-2 system with just 2 mids. We would be exposed very badly without the ball.
              4-4-2 isn’t the only system with 2 strikers though. You can also do a diamond 4-1-2-1-2 which I think could work even better come to think of it than a 4-4-2. I think ebrahimi has enough quality to be the anchor or even cheshmi I’d like in that role too. Jahanbakhsh and Mehrdad Mo/Torabi have a super high work rate and engine enough to put on the flanks with saman behind the strikers. Agree to disagree bc I think the quality is definitely there for Asian opposition in games we need to win. But I do understand your point and concern with changing things up given the circumstances of the situation TM is in.
              Team Meli Iran
              Perspolis FC
              Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
                4-4-2 isn’t the only system with 2 strikers though. You can also do a diamond 4-1-2-1-2 which I think could work even better come to think of it than a 4-4-2. I think ebrahimi has enough quality to be the anchor or even cheshmi I’d like in that role too. Jahanbakhsh and Mehrdad Mo/Torabi have a super high work rate and engine enough to put on the flanks with saman behind the strikers. Agree to disagree bc I think the quality is definitely there for Asian opposition in games we need to win. But I do understand your point and concern with changing things up given the circumstances of the situation TM is in.
                There's no way we're playing a diamond in midfield. That is such a dead formation in modern football. Only good for FIFA ultimate team lol. No need complicate tactics. We need consistency. 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 suit our players fine.

Please never mention Cheshmi, he's been atrocious this season for Esteghlal.
                golbezanpodcast.com
                twitter.com/GolBezan
                instagram.com/GolBezan
                youtube.com/GolBezan

Comment

No love for Gholi? I would switch M.Mo with Gholi. Mehrdad is a forward not Midfielder. Gholi, ARJ, Torabi are good for those box to box role required in those postions. Just like when Zandi And Mardavikia played in that system under Branko
                  "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon,"

Comment

I agree with above. We need to have 3 in midfield at all times.

--->If we want to be more expansive/creative then Ghoddos can be included in the midfield zone.

------------------beira------------------

Moharrami---PAG---Majid-------Milad

--------Ebrahimi------Nourollahi-----
                    -----------------Ghoddos-------------------

ARJ--------------Azmoun----------Taremi

Options: Gholizadeh for ARJ or Ghoddos (he has also played as a CM in 4-3-3 effectively for charleroi this year).
                    Kaveh for Azmoun late on in matches to maintain pressing and energy.
                    Ezatolahi for nourollahi depending on his fitness/form

---->
                    In matches we need to play more counter attack and need more stability in the midfield.
                    -------------------Beira---------------

Moharrami-----PAG---Majid------Milad

-------------------Ebrahimi--------------
                    ---------Ezatolahi------------Nourollahi

Ghoddos----------Azmoun---------Taremi

ARJ has shone he is pretty useless in counter attacking systems. He is just too slow in transition to have a big effect when we are really deep and have very limited ball possession. Ghoddos is actually effective in these situations (see with ostersunds, with amiens) and can start from wide, but also tuck into midfield to advance ball on transitions to sardar and taremi.

Options :
                    Mehrdad Mohammadi for any of the front 3 later on in games. His speed, directness, dribbling, and strong shot has troubled all the top portuguese teams this year playing for very counterattacking low ball possession Aves, and he could definitely be an asset to stretch defense, provide good set pieces.
                    Hajsafi could also rotate in for Nourollahi or Ezatolahi and provide energy, decent ball retention, and good experience. Although he has looked shit recently for TM, but has been great for tractor.

In this system keeping energy high in midfield is key. Adding another player to the mix would be nice. I would like to try out Mojadami from Sanat Naft who is a very torreira/kante type player. Tidy in possession but importantly covers a fuck ton of ground and has excellent tackling technique. He is also young and could be a solution moving forward in general.

Comment

Originally posted by FMCSMUBLB View Post
                      There's no way we're playing a diamond in midfield. That is such a dead formation in modern football. Only good for FIFA ultimate team lol. No need complicate tactics. We need consistency. 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 suit our players fine.

Please never mention Cheshmi, he's been atrocious this season for Esteghlal.
                      Cheshmi is having a bad run, yes, a temporary dip in form doesn’t mean he should be ousted for good. I think ebrahimi is leaps ahead of him for now anyway especially from a leadership perspective (as long as he keeps his complaining to the refs at a minimal). Hopefully Ezi finds some stability in his club career I’d have way more confidence in him over Cheshmi too.
                      Team Meli Iran
                      Perspolis FC
                      Malavan Bandar Anzali

Comment

Cheshmi is having a bad run, yes, a temporary dip in form doesn’t mean he should be ousted for good. I think ebrahimi is leaps ahead of him for now anyway especially from a leadership perspective (as long as he keeps his complaining to the refs at a minimal). Hopefully Ezi finds some stability in his club career I’d have way more confidence in him over Cheshmi too.
                        There are far better CDMs in Iran than Cheshmi though.
                        golbezanpodcast.com
                        twitter.com/GolBezan
                        instagram.com/GolBezan
                        youtube.com/GolBezan

Comment

Cheshmi has also played poorly for Iran. Rewatch the Turkey Iran friendly before the WC and you'll see how easy he is for forwards to get by

Comment

4231 with taremi playing as an inside forward on the left ghoddos attacking mid, and arj as inverted winger

Comment

Taremi has such an insane workrate that as a support striker he could span the pitch behind nok-e-hamleh Azmoun.

Our problem is that we don't have playmakers any more. We have wing-forwards but our midfield, at least creatively, is far behind our peers. We've survived through the miracles of a fruitful Azmoun and Taremi partnership and a fantastic coach in Queiroz.

i think our position in Asia will plummet if we can't get 2-3 good creative or even box-to-box midfielders coming through... If we had just one deep-lying playmaker like Nekounam or pivot midfielder like Bagheri then that would help a lot, let alone the various dribbling experts we've had over the years.

Comment

Working...
                              X