Ali Karimi at Bayern Munich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShiroKhorshid View Post
    Yes, you are right about iranians & insta, generally it seems like social media is a do or die thing for most people inside the country But thats why i, to put things into perspective, compared him to other iranian players, and those are the active ones. Jahanbakhsh, as one of our superstars and as a Premier League player, has 1.5 milion. Like i mentioned, a guy like Dejagah even below a milion. Thats why i say 5,6 milion is a crazy amount. His posts get up to 700-800K likes. One can only imagine what if he was 10 years younger and still active.

Dont get me wrong, at the end of the day its just social media but these things just show that he is a big time legend in our country despite bein far away from reachin the heights he should have.. He knows it, his friends and ex teammates know it, us people who know and follow football know it. With the talent he had he shoud have been a global superstar during his playing days.
    Half of his popularity isn’t much football related ..! A lot Iranian people are also very fond of him for frequently standing up for them against the zoorgoo IR-backed ozgals in our football throughout much of his career, often to demise of his TM career ..!
    The fact that he still followed in mass, well past end of his playing career & rather weak coaching spells since, is more related to the Takhti-like aura about him..!
    IMO, He was also the most instrumental figure in the Green wristband wearing TM players during the Green Movement, which to date still Remains the most serious country-wide challenge to IR’s rule by the iron fist..!
    With his rebel like demeanor he had paved the way & created the settings under which other TM players felt more comfortable to band together & also wear Green wristbands during that vital WCQ clash against SK..!

Comment

Karimi's peak definitely was 2004-2005. However, he still was an excellent player leading up to WC 2006. He even managed to break into the starting line-up at Bayern. It was ultimately injuries, and the German mechanical style that did him good.

If he had played for an European club where he could be more expressive, his star would have shone brighter, and for a lot longer.

Comment

Lukas Podolski posted a pic of him and Karimi today on Instagram, he wrote it was a please the best ever from Iran, ill get a screenshot later

Comment

Beautiful. Podolski, Makaay, Hargreaves & Ballack were some of the Bayern players he really got along with.
          By the way less than an hour to go for the 2006 Barca vs. Bayern livestream.

Comment

4CD5730A-8C70-4157-9BFA-57529C5972AB.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post
              I agree with you 95% of the time. But with all due respect, Nokhodi jan, this is one of the 5%.

Karimi couldn't open up a game? Really? That's all Karimi did lol. From 2002-2008, he was TM's best and most dangerous player.

Karimi was the best playmaker for TM I've seen in my last 23 years of fandom. And its not close. So if Karimi couldn't open up games, which TM player could?
              You are one of the great members here so if you say you disagree, I have to give it a 2nd look or explain better.

My point about Karimi is not that he has not talent - far from it. He was very talented, but was poorly refined and had very little football knowledge. Most of his great works were from moments of individual genius and a bit of luck.

Karimi popped up on the radar for most of us in 1998. He was a fantasy player that football fans just love. He started most of the games in the Asian Games in Bangkok and immediately impressed. However shortly after he beat up a referee in a TM-U23 game and was suspended for a while.

I don't know what happened to him in 2000, but he started a ton of TM games and was ok but once Asia Cup 2000 came about he didn't really get to play. That TM was full of discipline issues and poor management so I don't blame him for that.

He played some lovely games in 2001 WCQ, but this was where most of us really noticed he's a poor finisher! Look back at the tapes and you'll be amazed at how many great chances he can't finish. It is shocking. I don't have to remind you of the Ireland away leg ether.

He was ok in 2002 but started falling apart in 2003. Playing in Al-Ahli was starting to have a significant affect on his fitness and love of football. People bring up the North Korea games but what they forget is the start of those games was actually Navidkia. That was the point Navidkia was starting to make his mark. Navidkia was going to be our starter but he was injured really badly due to overuse and was never the same.

In 2003 and early 2004 he had some shocking games. He'd have moments of brilliance but overall was detrimental to TM's style and forward momentum. At this stage TM fans were begging him to leave UAE.
              Then came in Asia Cup 2004 and he became the Ali Karimi we have always wanted. Finding opportunity where there isn't. Taking on opponents with no fear. Finishing when it mattered... Basically taking the game by the scruff of the neck and making it his.

This was the best Karimi ever was in TM.

He then had the friendly versus Germany, moved to Bayern and the rest is history. Besides that game the rest of his form is very patchy (especially in competitive matches). For example, the Iran-Japan game in Tehran, he was almost absent (was the worst of the midfield players) but he had a brilliant cross to Hashemian which saved our asses.

He was injured in early 2006 and didn't play a great game for TM again until Iran-UAE in 2009.

Again, he was probably the most talented player TM has ever seen in terms of technical skill, but for a player who had over 100 caps, he only had one tournament where he was the man and very few games where he saved us.

Maybe its my fault for having such expectations, but to me he is still behind guys like Mahdavikia, Bagheri, Daei, Azizi, Nekounam and co among TM legends.

Some of this is because I'd rather have function over fantasy when it comes down to it - but I don't think I'm wrong in saying Karimi was never near what he could have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                He was ok in 2002 but started falling apart in 2003. Playing in Al-Ahli was starting to have a significant affect on his fitness and love of football. People bring up the North Korea games but what they forget is the start of those games was actually Navidkia. That was the point Navidkia was starting to make his mark. Navidkia was going to be our starter but he was injured really badly due to overuse and was never the same.
                In 2003 and early 2004 he had some shocking games. He'd have moments of brilliance but overall was detrimental to TM's style and forward momentum. At this stage TM fans were begging him to leave UAE.
                Then came in Asia Cup 2004 and he became the Ali Karimi we have always wanted. Finding opportunity where there isn't. Taking on opponents with no fear. Finishing when it mattered... Basically taking the game by the scruff of the neck and making it his.
                He then had the friendly versus Germany, moved to Bayern and the rest is history. Besides that game the rest of his form is very patchy (especially in competitive matches). For example, the Iran-Japan game in Tehran, he was almost absent (was the worst of the midfield players) but he had a brilliant cross to Hashemian which saved our asses.
                He was injured in early 2006 and didn't play a great game for TM again until Iran-UAE in 2009.
                Again, he was probably the most talented player TM has ever seen in terms of technical skill, but for a player who had over 100 caps, he only had one tournament where he was the man and very few games where he saved us.
                Maybe its my fault for having such expectations, but to me he is still behind guys like Mahdavikia, Bagheri, Daei, Azizi, Nekounam and co among TM legends.
                Some of this is because I'd rather have function over fantasy when it comes down to it - but I don't think I'm wrong in saying Karimi was never near what he could have been.
                I really think youre mixin up the years. Between 2002-2004 Karimi had his most amazing matches for Teammelli. If memory serves me right, we had 2 friendlies against Slovakia in 2002, once losin 3:2 (Karimi brace), and once winnin 4:3 (Karimi Hattrick). 2003 there was his amazin performaces vs North Korea (home & away), and New Zealand that i had mentioned. Early 2004? We had 2 matches before summer which was against Qatar, where he was our best and against Taiwan, where we won 7:0 and he was on of our better players.

The we lost 1:0 to Jordan in Azadi, where he again was one of our better players in a disappointing team and then came WAFF & Asian Cup within a space of 2-3 weeks, in which both he was not only our, but probably the tournaments best player. Then came late summer and autumn 2004 including his unforgettable performaces vs. AS Roma & Germany.

If anything, 2005 he was not as good as in 2001/2002-2004, but still one of our most important players reachin the WC with some important assists against Japan & North Korea.
                2006, leadin up to the world cup, he was our best player in our warm up matches against Costa Rica (February) & Croatia (May). Scored amazin goals in both matches. Inbetween those 2, he had his injury vs. Hamburg in early march, which sidelined him for 8 weeks up until that mentioned Croatia match.

Comment

but I don't think I'm wrong in saying Karimi was never near what he could have been.

That i think everyone agrees. No doubt.

Comment

I really think youre mixin up the years. Between 2002-2004 Karimi had his most amazing matches for Teammelli. If memory serves me right, we had 2 friendlies against Slovakia in 2002, once losin 3:2 (Karimi brace), and once winnin 4:3 (Karimi Hattrick). 2003 there was his amazin performaces vs North Korea (home & away), and New Zealand that i had mentioned. Early 2004? We had 2 matches before summer which was against Qatar, where he was our best and against Taiwan, where we won 7:0 and he was on of our better players.
                    Slovakia games were meaningless friendlies. I am more concerned about competitive games.
                    North Korea games - This is subjective, but Navidkia was amazing these games. Better than Karimi.

New Zealand - Agree that Karimi, along with Kaabi and Mahdavikia were all really good.

Early 2004 - up to June - we had games versus Qatar, Laos, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria. Karimi wasn't playing well. I am 99% sure about this.

The we lost 1:0 to Jordan in Azadi, where he again was one of our better players in a disappointing team and then came WAFF & Asian Cup within a space of 2-3 weeks, in which both he was not only our, but probably the tournaments best player. Then came late summer and autumn 2004 including his unforgettable performaces vs. AS Roma & Germany.
                    Agree on Asian Cup and AS Roma game. As I said that was his peak for TM.

If anything, 2005 he was not as good as in 2001/2002-2004, but still one of our most important players reachin the WC with some important assists against Japan & North Korea.
                    2006, leadin up to the world cup, he was our best player in our warm up matches against Costa Rica (February) & Croatia (May). Scored amazin goals in both matches. Inbetween those 2, he had his injury vs. Hamburg in early march, which sidelined him for 8 weeks up until that mentioned Croatia match.
                    I don't think we disagree on the pre World Cup/World Cup 2006 stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
                      You are one of the great members here so if you say you disagree, I have to give it a 2nd look or explain better.

My point about Karimi is not that he has not talent - far from it. He was very talented, but was poorly refined and had very little football knowledge. Most of his great works were from moments of individual genius and a bit of luck.

Karimi popped up on the radar for most of us in 1998. He was a fantasy player that football fans just love. He started most of the games in the Asian Games in Bangkok and immediately impressed. However shortly after he beat up a referee in a TM-U23 game and was suspended for a while.

I don't know what happened to him in 2000, but he started a ton of TM games and was ok but once Asia Cup 2000 came about he didn't really get to play. That TM was full of discipline issues and poor management so I don't blame him for that.

He played some lovely games in 2001 WCQ, but this was where most of us really noticed he's a poor finisher! Look back at the tapes and you'll be amazed at how many great chances he can't finish. It is shocking. I don't have to remind you of the Ireland away leg ether.

Mokhlesasm, Nokhodi jan.

After your clarification, sounds like we agree more than disagree.

I agree that Karimi was a poor finisher at the beginning of his career. Of course, Ireland away, but I recall he missed some sitters in the playoff vs UAE as well. But his finishing significantly improved as his career progressed.

Agree that 2004 Asian Cup was his best performance (not much to argue there).

I also agree that Karimi left a lot on the table, leaving us wondering "what if..?" Nonetheless, with all that said, he was still one of the best TM players I've ever seen. Oozing with natural talent, and could change the match with a sheer moment of brilliance. We don't have that in TM these days..

Comment

so Karimi was a bad finisher at the beginning of his career, which is a fact.

Karimi's Second half of career (he played from 98 to 12 for TM) is claimed to be mediocre by some here.

So how is it possible that he's the 4th top scorer of all time for TM although he was a midfielder (who didn't take all the penalties like Daei and Nekounam) and not a striker/forward.

Also by applying the same rules by some posters here (discounting club performances, friendlies and matches with weaker sides) then Messi is also one of the worst players in the world as he sucks when playing for Argentina. Remember his game against Iran, doing nothing at all beside a lucky goal which got them the win. He must be a hyped players as these standards are applied to Karimi for calling him medicore.

And let's forget the fact that he rules UAE, kept midfield stars such as Hargreaves (who became a fixed starter as soon as he went to Man-U) and co on bench at his time at Bayern and came back to Iran and ruled the league again as a more deep lying playmaker. There were 10-15 minutes highlights after each of his games for Estil Azin, Perspolis and Teraktor, being posted here.

But yes a player who was praisedall the time by people who didn't like him (Daei and Ballack for example) was a medicore player.

Comment

By which standard was Ali Karimi a mediocre player? He is along with Karim Bagheri, Khodadad Azizi, Mehdi Mahdavikia and Sardar Azmoun the most talented player in Iranian and subsequently, Asian football history!

Comment

Originally posted by Babak agha View Post
                            Karimi's Second half of career (he played from 98 to 12 for TM) is claimed to be mediocre by some here.
                            So how is it possible that he's the 4th top scorer of all time for TM although he was a midfielder (who didn't take all the penalties like Daei and Nekounam) and not a striker/forward.
                            Also by applying the same rules by some posters here (discounting club performances, friendlies and matches with weaker sides) then Messi is also one of the worst players in the world as he sucks when playing for Argentina. Remember his game against Iran, doing nothing at all beside a lucky goal which got them the win. He must be a hyped players as these standards are applied to Karimi for calling him medicore.
                            And let's forget the fact that he rules UAE, kept midfield stars such as Hargreaves (who became a fixed starter as soon as he went to Man-U) and co on bench at his time at Bayern and came back to Iran and ruled the league again as a more deep lying playmaker. There were 10-15 minutes highlights after each of his games for Estil Azin, Perspolis and Teraktor, being posted here.
                            But yes a player who was praisedall the time by people who didn't like him (Daei and Ballack for example) was a medicore player.
                            Well said. Especially his 09/10 season for Estil Azin was amazing. I think he scored 14 and assisted 6 or 7. He was a level above all others Estil Azin players in a team that, if memory serves me right, included several former euopean legionaires and Teammelli players like Mahdavikia, Zandi, Shapourzadeh, Kavianpour and Kaebi. Too bad we missed out on the 2010 World Cup. But lookin back, our squad back then was the probably the weakest in years and some important key players of the past years, already past their prime (Mahdavikia, Hashemian, ..)

Comment

Well said. Especially his 09/10 season for Estil Azin was amazing. I think he scored 14 and assisted 6 or 7. He was a level above all others Estil Azin players in a team that, if memory serves me right, included several former euopean legionaires and Teammelli players like Mahdavikia, Zandi, Shapourzadeh, Kavianpour and Kaebi. Too bad we missed out on the 2010 World Cup. But lookin back, our squad back then was the probably the weakest in years and some important key players of the past years, already past their prime (Mahdavikia, Hashemian, ..)
                              LOL@ Estil Azin! All our former European based players were old and out of form when they stated to play for Estil Azin. That is why the team was lousy and never reached anywhere. So it's not a hard task for Karimi to be better than them. Karimi himself was relatively out of form and not the usual Karimi when he played there.

Comment

Originally posted by Babak agha View Post
                                That is not really a fact though? Where do you get that from?

Comment

Working...
                                X