Alireza Jahanbakhsh @ Brighton & Hove Albion | 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Medzdidz View Post
    I definitely think yesterday he should have come on, Bong coming on for Bissouma at half time was not the right call. He could have moved Mooy into his more natural position and put ARJ where Mooy was playing and it would have worked better.
    Look I have a lot of respect for Potter and what he did at Ostersunds but I don’t understand this starting with four, sometimes five central midfielders and paying them out of position.
    I completely agree with everything you've said.

Some folks on here are just upset ARJ isn't playing for Brighton. I get it. So am I. I wanna see him score goals, get assists, be an important player for his team in the Premier League, the most watched football league in the world (more on this later). But it's not going to cloud my judgement of what's happening or allow me to make assumptions in defence of an Iranian player.

Not getting playing time under a new manager is pretty commonplace in football. Almost every footballer (except Messi and Ronaldo) has gone through this in their career, no matter what their nationality or whether they are a foreign or domestic player at their club. What's more, we also know he's been injured recently so hasn't been available for selection for all 7 of those games. I agree, he should have come on instead of Connolly. I was surprised and disappointed by that.

The comments about foreign imports and the lack of English players in Premier League teams has long been debated in this country. When the Premier League started in 1992, 73% of the starting XI for every team was English. The rest were predominantly British as there were only 13 foreign players in the league back then. This seasons opening weekend say 38% of starting XIs with English players - which has been the highest in almost 10 years, though partly thanks to Chelsea's transfer ban and transfer policies of newer teams in the league like Bournemouth to buy British players. There's a slight variance in the workings of those statistics, as there were 22 teams in the first couple of seasons of the Premier League.

So how did we get here? The creation of the Premier League was that creation of a product, a brand. It's the most watched and therefore brings in the largest revenue in terms of TV rights, a share of which are paid to the clubs. Inevitably, as clubs had more money, they were able to attract better players to their team. Obviously in the 90s not all the best players in the world were English, so progressively the league saw an influx of foreign players. It's simple business economics; as you become the market leader in your industry, you can attract talent from all around the world. The problem has been that - because squads have become so top heavy with foreign players and rules around "non home grown" players have become more stringent - the price of an English player that is good enough for the first team (especially at a top 6 club) is at a far higher than that of a foreign player. A great example of that is how Liverpool paid almost 50% more for Andy Carroll (who had less than 6 months first team experience) than Luis Suarez in the same transfer window. Take a minute to think about that. It was completely absurd, yet it still happens. I mean, Brighton paid £20m for an English CB and about he same price for a striker who was 2nd top goalscorer with 25 goals in the same league. Strikers are worth more than defenders so that again emphasises that disproportionate value of English players in the Premier League.

These claims that English fans are more critical of foreign players than English players is incorrectly framing the narrative. Sure you can find me a lot of examples of English fans criticising foreign players, especially Brighton fans against ARJ. But for every example you can give me, I could find an example of fans slating English players. I don't see it as an issue of nationality but rather a two fold problem:

1) Some of these fans are morons. But that's not purely unique to English fans because there are plenty idiot fans all over the world - see how Madrid fans and media treat Gareth Bale who won them 2 Champions Leagues or how Italian fans racially abuse their black players (Inter fans defending Cagliari's fans recent abuse towards Lukaku, their own player, was as disgusting as the original act) - as much as there are cultured fans all over the world who know a lot about the game. Being based in England, I've met many fans here who can put every person on this forum including myself to shame with their knowledge and interpretation of the game and player performance.

2) This has more to do with his value than anything else. He was their record signing yet one of the poorest players statistically in an otherwise poorly performing squad last season. Players you pay a lot for, whether Iranian, English, Spanish, Brazilian, etc. if they don't live up to their price tag or an immediate impact, they will be criticised by fans. It's not just an English thing.

As for Potter, he's the manager, he has a right to pick the squad he see's fit. I think they play much better and more attacking football under him than they did under Hughton. They are languishing at the bottom of end of the table but he still has time to prove his system works before he has to think about changing it. That's not to say that he shouldn't be trying different players in that system. I for one would like to see ARJ feature in that top 3 because we all know he's not a LWB and he can't defend.

For now, I see no problem in him playing Alzate. Potter has an injury crisis and has given the kid a chance and he's taken it well. He's basically playing a similar role to ARJ at times last season in LWB. Like ARJ, it's not his natural position (he's an AM) but he's showed signs of good attacking play and ability to take on players in the games he's played and he had one of the best defensive displays against Chelsea. The league 2 comments are hilarious. A lot of young players once went out on loan to lower league clubs in their first couple of years as a pro. It's how the game works so those comments are pretty ridiculous. Every player has to make the step up at some point.

As for ARJ, let's see what happens after the international break. If the situation continues, I would agree that he should be looking else where in the winter transfer window. A loan at the very least.

Comment

ok. if the club or manager doesnt like JB, that's their prerogative and right.
      no problem.
      then either sell or loan the lad.
      why are they keeping him? As I assume his salary costs them a decent amount of money every month. And BHA isnt exactly rolling in dough.

why are they keeping someone whom they dont want to use?
      It's mindbogglingly idiotic on the part of BHA

more moronic is if they continue to keep him on the bench, his price lowers further. So chances of recovering their investment lowers with each passing game/month!
      It's like a bunch of mentally challenged morons are sitting at the board!

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
        ok. if the club or manager doesnt like JB, that's their prerogative and right.
        no problem.
        then either sell or loan the lad.
        why are they keeping him? As I assume his salary costs them a decent amount of money every month. And BHA isnt exactly rolling in dough.

why are they keeping someone whom they dont want to use?
        It's mindbogglingly idiotic on the part of BHA

more moronic is if they continue to keep him on the bench, his price lowers further. So chances of recovering their investment lowers with each passing game/month!
        It's like a bunch of mentally challenged morons are sitting at the board!
        In all honesty I think it is down to the fact that they loaned out Knocakert, Locadia and Andone and needed to keep ARJ then to keep up player numbers even though there was interest from PSV. They couldn’t get rid of another attacking player because they would have been shooting them selves in the foot, I’m guessing after these transfers ARJ was most likely told that he would get playing time hence him not putting up to much of a fight to get a move out.
        They didn’t know at the time that Alzate and Connoly would settle as well as they have into the squad, as you never do with your younger players and so would have wanted to keep ARJ in.

Comment

Originally posted by Medzdidz View Post
          In all honesty I think it is down to the fact that they loaned out Knocakert, Locadia and Andone and needed to keep ARJ then to keep up player numbers even though there was interest from PSV. They couldn’t get rid of another attacking player because they would have been shooting them selves in the foot, I’m guessing after these transfers ARJ was most likely told that he would get playing time hence him not putting up to much of a fight to get a move out.
          They didn’t know at the time that Alzate and Connoly would settle as well as they have into the squad, as you never do with your younger players and so would have wanted to keep ARJ in.
          I also suspect that PSV likely loan with option to buy !?move failed to materialize due to money too..! ?
          In fact fairly sure money 💰 played a big role in that debacle..!
          Also because psv opted for a cheap alternative to ARJ when that loan proposal failed to materialize..!

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post

yeah it was a dive and the pope is jewish.

Webster himself even knew it was a pk, he made contact with his ankle clearly and it was VAR Checked! its so obvious that he makes contact with the ankle.

AND even if it was minimal contact, which it absolutely wasnt at all, webster would still be deserving of serious criticism for that play. But again, he is english and gets a free pass in your mind.

Let me be frank with you, foreigners built this entire league, both in terms of playing and coaching. Without them wed be watching a bunch of horseshit like brighton. Just because webster cost 20 million and has a nice british name doesnt mean anything when he makes plays like that costing the team.
            I agree it was a penalty kick. I did not have a good stream. Arsenal style defending for the first hour as well. Bissouma and Mooy were not match fit.

I think Potter got it wrong with three at the back all season and the results show this. I hinted Alzate might come into the reckoning in an earlier post. I'd seen him in the reserves 3-0 v Leicester.

The key is how well the players can pass their way out of the press. All the foreign players see this as a difficulty adapting to the Premier League and this includes Fred at United and Keita at Liverpool.

I do no detect any special animosity against Alireza Jahanbakhsh. Just groans of frustration in the last friendly match against Valencia 2-1. Prognosis is not very promising though.

Comment

I was in favor of him staying at BHA on deadline day bc I thought if one or two wingers went down plus locadia getting loaned out that’s all he would need to get his chance. I was wrong about that clearly and at this point he needs to get the hell out of that club ASAP even if it’s to PSV
              Team Meli Iran
              Perspolis FC
              Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
                I was in favor of him staying at BHA on deadline day bc I thought if one or two wingers went down plus locadia getting loaned out that’s all he would need to get his chance. I was wrong about that clearly and at this point he needs to get the hell out of that club ASAP even if it’s to PSV
                sadly, PSV ship might have sailed. This is why he should have jumped at that offer. They are far superior team to brighton in all aspects anyways and a better for ARJ.

Now they are playing a very dynamic front three that is producing well with Bergwijn, Malen, Bruma, all three very highly rated players. Behind them the CAM Ihataren has been sensational this season and is one of the biggest 17 year old prospects on the planet. Off the bench the Japanese kid, also very highly rated, Ritsu Doan is producing, so it doesnt seem they have a real need for ARJ anymore, esp with his big wages.

Comment

guys we are all complaining about why he isn't in the team, but from what i saw in our last TM match he seems overweight ( in my eyes ) almost zero confidence to make plays ie running towards opponent making plays, apart from a couple of crosses he did etc and his assist he was mostly back passing, almost no fluid play from him, looking slow and not on point.

if I was a manager and he would be in this shape I would have chosen players who are better in shape. I don't know how he is doing after his injury but still, he needs to pick up where he left AZ.. confidence, play how he used to play, energetic, confidence, shoot etc.

we can all cry why he isn't in the starting 11 or on the bench but the facts are clear, not only me but many people here saw how JB wasn't himself during our last TM match and we all complained about it and put the blame on Chris Hugeton or whatever that fag is called. and rightly so because he messed up this great player. now he needs to man up and not be a mommy's boy and start to show what he's actually worth and shut up the English fans and media. We are of course all defending our players and I do too but we have to realize the facts and that is he isn't fit enough and if he wants to be part of any starting 11 of any team, being in Brighton or on loan he has to start selling himself as the guy who played in AZ and became top scorer.

Comment

I hope for his own sake that he either isn't called up to TM next international break, that he rejects the invitation.
                    He needs stay in Brighton over the break at work with Potter.

Comment

Originally posted by The View Post
                      I hope for his own sake that he either isn't called up to TM next international break, that he rejects the invitation.
                      He needs stay in Brighton over the break at work with Potter.
                      I disagree. He isn't playing for Brighton, he might as well play for us. It is clear to me Potter doesn't rate him and I think he is only going to get some time if and when the team seriously struggles, which they will. And once again he will be coming into a desperate team and if he doesn't instantly score 5-6 goals he will be the scape goat.

He has more chance building his confidence with us then he does in training in England.
                      ballast parcham bi boro bargard refigh negaran nabash bikhod to aslan

Comment

I love how Potter doesnt play ARJ as if he has something to lose.

The team is a joke. They are the laughing stock of the EPL and are favorites for relegation. Fucking play ARJ already.
                        #WilmotsOUT

Comment

This ->

Originally posted by Bladsville View Post
                          I love how Potter doesnt play ARJ as if he has something to lose.

The team is a joke. They are the laughing stock of the EPL and are favorites for relegation. Fucking play ARJ already.

Comment

I think ARJ's biggest mistake was thinking that there were good 'vibes' at Brighton. Watching them the past two seasons has shown that they are a club consistently polishing the boots of better teams in the league, playing a tier of football that is very obviously below the standard that the "best league in the world" demands but nonetheless getting by because 3 other teams manage to implode even harder than them. The attitudes between the players is always tense and uncomfortable because the team never seems to be in a good spot.

Brighton never struck me as the sort of club that would be accommodating for a player that might initially struggle with their transition. Thats probably why ARJ's best friend there was Locadia who could perhaps relate most with his situation.

Honestly, F*ck 'em. The best situation I hope for at this point is for ARJ to get some playing time and consistently score hattricks in 4-3 defeats for the team so he can get shipped off to a different league while the Brighton dumpster fire falls into the championship Wishful thinking though.

Comment

I'm so glad I didn't spend money on their stupid kit. Stupid dumb birds that just shit everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by daggerhashimoto View Post
                                I'm so glad I didn't spend money on their stupid kit. Stupid dumb birds that just shit everywhere.
                                I love how we are all collectively passed that "Lets have hope and wait for him to play" stage. Its well passed that point. Its just downright ridiculous now.
                                #WilmotsOUT

Comment

Working...
                                X