Alireza Jahanbakhsh @ Brighton & Hove Albion | 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattigil View Post
    This is so sad... He's being used as a wingback in training as well...

Albion look at Alireza Jahanbakhsh in new role
    Sigh....

He's great at 1v1 defending for his position(RW) as we saw in the Tottenham game last season but he's definitely not a wingback

Comment

Originally posted by pres80 View Post
      In the long run this may be good for him at this stage.

But I will say it's super disappointing to see the way they are handling him.
      He took a shot on them over better options because he felt the club was invested in him and had interest but doesn't seem they are giving him a fair shot.
      He has not impressed but I also would not call last season anything close to a good look at him considering injuries etc.

Oh well.
      Wish him the best and hope he can achieve good things at PSV like Ajax did in UCL.
      This. I really hope they will get relegated this season.

Comment

Sad situation. Top scorer of Eredivisie having to fight for a chance to play as a wing back in a bottom tier EPL club he chose over Leicester because he felt that he would play a bigger role.
        I will say though that he has plenty of wingback experience just based off of last season with Hughton's 10-0-1 formations; maybe if he can overtake Montoya people can get off his back for not netting hattricks from the halfway line.

Comment

This is similar to how Doll was treating Mahdavikia in 2005. He came back and performed so well.
          ARJ can do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by pres80 View Post
            In the long run this may be good for him at this stage.

But I will say it's super disappointing to see the way they are handling him.
            He took a shot on them over better options because he felt the club was invested in him and had interest but doesn't seem they are giving him a fair shot.
            He has not impressed but I also would not call last season anything close to a good look at him considering injuries etc.

Oh well.
            Wish him the best and hope he can achieve good things at PSV like Ajax did in UCL.
            That's pretty naive to think like that : things change very fast in football : coach can been fired some weeks after, injuries, other transfers in the same position, etc..

So you can think they count on you but the next day you are left out of the squad for the remaining games.

But to be frank, BHA provided him lots of playing time/chance last year even if it wasn't the best conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
              This is similar to how Doll was treating Mahdavikia in 2005. He came back and performed so well.
              ARJ can do the same.
              Kia was playing/performing well in the same league/club before 2005. That's not the same situation.

Comment

Jahanbakhsh is still in my plans at Brighton, insists boss Potter
                Graham Potter insists £17million forward Alireza Jahanbakhsh has a future at Brighton.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...medium=twitter

Comment

Originally posted by BacheLot View Post
                  this...! besides his overall playing style doesnt suit the EPL action anyways, so even if given more time, it'll likely always be a uphill climb for him trying to establish himself in this team/league as a regular starter..!

yup, if BHA Keep playing with the same or similar formation, there are nearly no other position he could realistically be a shoe-in for anyhow..!? I believe that is the biggest reason why BHA/Pothead so clearly want him shipped off anyhow..!!
                  he sure as shitt aint much of a pure CF (perhaps he could fill the more drop-back and free roaming 2nd striker that his buddy Locadia play..?) and he would very likely struggle to play AM/CM in this league, and would have difficulty unseating the likely starters in BHA in that position.

His best likely Fit in the current BHA Starting set-up is oddly replacing the veteran RB Montoya/March or possibly Locadia in the attacking front..!!? depth is pretty decent in nearly all likely suitable positions in BHA (same situation in nearly all other EPL teams..!) so even if he manages to unseat a current favored starter, he is unlikely to become a regular starter in this team/league..!
                  other formidable WingBack options at BHA are Bernardo who I'd personally rate far superior to him or March on the Left wing and he is still to get a glimpse of action yet..! and i suppose the speedy youngster Izquirdo could be a decent option too, if he ever recovers from his perpetual sick-note status..!!?

all in all, a Possible Loan move to PSV sounds like a fantastic option, especially if he can retain much of his current pay structure in place..!!? which id guess is the sticking issue preventing a loan move so far, imo...!?

can you please C&Paste the full article ...!
                  Befarmah dadash! Also, interesting to read what Hashemi had to say about Alireza. kolan a nice read.

Although Alireza Jahanbakhsh does not regard himself as a “strict Muslim”, he says a little prayer in the dressing room before matches.

It might include, right now, the desire to revive his Brighton career.

Jahanbakhsh’s name was conspicuous by its absence for the 1-1 home draw with West Ham on Saturday. He did not make new boss Graham Potter’s squad for the second match running. It was the same at Watford for the 3-0 win in the opening game of the season, the day before the Iran winger turned 26.

This should be a peak period for Jahanbakhsh, if not tearing up the Premier League then certainly making an impact on it.

That threatened to be the case when his first league start in last season’s corresponding fixture against West Ham at the Amex in October coincided with Brighton’s best period of the campaign under Potter’s predecessor Chris Hughton. A hat-trick of 1-0 victories were completed against Newcastle and Wolves.

Ten months on, there are doubts whether Jahanbakhsh will justify the then-record £17 million outlay by the club to sign him, at the second time of asking, from AZ Alkmaar of the Dutch top flight last summer.

Brighton’s interest dates back to 2015, when they were still in the Championship.

Jahanbakhsh was given the red carpet treatment in an attempt to persuade him to sign. He was impressed by the facilities and the Premier League ambition, but decided at that stage to stay in the Netherlands.

He was only 19 when he moved to NEC Nijmegen from Damash Gilan back home in Iran and represented his country in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil against Argentina, as they were beaten by Lionel Messi’s last-minute brilliance.

The timing felt right for both parties once Jahanbakhsh moved on and starred for Alkmaar, having helped NEC bounce straight back from relegation. He netted 21 goals and provided 12 assists in 33 games to become the first Asian player to be the leading scorer in a mainstream European league.

By the end of his debut season with Brighton though, those statistics had nosedived to no goals or assists in 17 starts and seven substitute appearances.

There were mitigating disruptions. Initial involvement had been restricted by a late arrival after the World Cup in Russia. Jahanbakhsh also suffered a momentum-wrecking hamstring injury at Everton in the game following that three-match winning streak.

His return to fitness coincided with more international duty, this time the Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates, where Iran’s run to the semi-finals kept him away until February.

Hughton often used him on the left rather than in his preferred position for his country on the right. Also, the freedom he had in Alkmaar’s 4-3-3 system was diminished by the defensive responsibilities demanded in the same set-up by Hughton, who was mindful of managing a team frequently underdogs in the best league in the world.

Jahanbakhsh says he was just playing to orders.

Speaking in immaculate English, the legacy of lessons with a private tutor ahead of moving from his homeland to the Netherlands, he told The Athletic: “It wasn’t pressure or anything.

“Every game, I tried to do things. I’m a player who plays the roles the manager asks of me. I’m not doing some things extra. The way we played last year, anything the gaffer asked me, I was trying to do that.

“That’s the reason probably I was far from the goal. I could have been more selfish, doing some different stuff which I used to do, but it was the first season, I wanted to do the things the team needs, rather than doing the things I want myself.

“It just kept me away from being close to the goal, scoring more goals and assists. That’s the reason I wasn’t really satisfied with the season but I have learnt a lot. I know the expectation is high but I am always trying to give 100 percent. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes not. That’s part of football.”

Potter’s appointment hinted at first in a change of fortunes. Jahanbakhsh caught the eye as a roving number 10 in Brighton’s opening pre-season friendly in Austria against second division Liefering.

Jahanbakhsh has been swallowed up so far by the intense competition in attacking areas now that Potter has summer signings Leandro Trossard, who starred against West Ham, and Neal Maupay at his disposal.

He said: “My favourite position is the right side but if the manager asks me to play in the other two positions, then I will do that for the team.

“I’ve learnt a lot, playing for one season in a different country and competition. It’s a great chance, playing with better players in a good environment, good people around the club. They’ve always helped me, even in the bad days, cheering me up.

“I’m not looking at it like a new beginning or anything. It’s been a bit slow. Now I am trying to make it quicker and having a better performance and statistics for the club.”

The dramatic fall in the figures has not shaken the faith of long-time agent Amir Hashemi that Jahanbakhsh will show his worth over the four years still remaining on his contract.

The title of agent does not do justice to the part Hashemi and wife Honey have played in his career. Jahanbakhsh regards them more as a second family since his father entrusted them to guide him. Hashemi, who had a brief spell in England with Plymouth and Torquay in the early 1990s, brokered the move from Damash in the Iran Pro League to NEC in 2013 and has been by his side every step of the way.

Hashemi said: “He’s happy. He’s trained hard. He understands the coach has to build up his vision, his philosophy, getting to know every player and their qualities.

“I see in the last few weeks the Alireza I’ve always wanted to see in England. I know him, how he thinks. He has a free mind now, he doesn’t have a World Cup, the Asian Cup, he’s not injured and he’s had a pre-season with the club. All those factors I think will help him.

“He has the same intention still: To be the best player in England. He has prepared himself very well for this season. Brighton fans haven’t seen 60 percent of what Alireza is capable of. I think he is a player everyone will want to come and watch. I am very confident.”

Jahanbakhsh, only the fourth Iranian to play in the Premier League after Karim Bagheri (Charlton 2000-01), Andranik Teymourian (Bolton and Fulham 2006-09) and Ashkan Dejagah (Fulham 2012-14), has the adoration of a nation behind him.

Hashemi said: “Alireza is not just a football star in Iran, he is also an example in the person that he is. That is very important. Some players are in people’s hearts, because of their personality, the attitude they have.

“He’s a good man, I’m very proud of him. He’s a good human being and that is the reason he will be successful.”

Comment

Great article. Hopefully he can show himself and his abilities. Needs a bit of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by FF187 View Post
                      Do you understand he is not part of Potters plans? How can you fight from the stands?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk
                      Do you understand the difference in level between eredivise and EPL?

Yes he’s not in potters plans now but like I said it’s better he stays and fights it out in training for his spot in the squad rather than just leave and go back and take a big step down to the eredivise. A lot can happen (injuries, a run in the cup which calls for more depth, etc.) - he will eventually get his chance and all it will take is one or two good performances to change his situation.
                      Team Meli Iran
                      Perspolis FC
                      Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post

Yes he’s not in potters plans now but like I said it’s better he stays and fights it out in training for his spot in the squad rather than just leave and go back and take a big step down to the eredivise. A lot can happen (injuries, a run in the cup which calls for more depth, etc.) - he will eventually get his chance and all it will take is one or two good performances to change his situation.

Actually, Potter says that he still thinks ARJ could make an impact. Here is the quotes from the independent article https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...medium=twitter :

Start of quote:
                        Asked if Jahanbakhsh can have an impact this term, Seagulls boss Potter replied: “Yeah, I do.
                        “He’s another one that’s worked really hard, he’s a bit unfortunate not to be in the 18.
                        “He’s a player that can be close to the 11 but out of the 18, if that makes sense, because I think he can play in any one of those front positions but also as a wing-back, on the right side, he’s been working with that as well.
                        “He’s a bit unlucky, you have to pick 18 and, for the balance of the subs, he’s been the one that’s missed out.
                        “But how he’s worked every day has been perfect, does his best and is ready to help the team.”

End of quote

Let's not jump the gun yet. Potter also says that he does not anticipate a transfer yet he doesn't completely close that door:

Start of quote:
                        “Of course, while it’s open you never know, you can’t tell. But I wouldn’t have thought so.”
                        End of quote

ARJ is doing the right thing to give it his 100% and based on what the coach said he could break into the staring 11. I am fully behind him.

Go ARJ!

Comment

in the current system of play he can certainly be a more formidable RWB option than Montoya, especially on the countering and attacking front and having the legs/pace and energy to get back to defensive duties .....those are the certain pluses over MM..!
                          barring a far superior top leagues Experience and the confidence that naturally comes along with it, Martin, in all honestly aint got shitt else on ARJ from what ive seen so far from him @BHA last year and this season so far..!

from the article posted mattigil below, its obvious that Pothead sees it the same way....hence why he has had him competing with Montoya at practices so far....!!
                          the big issue now is that BHA front office/Pothead Doesnt really wanna $17+mil valued player on high wage$ for just a depth at RWB position...!! when they already have other make-shift options at the club and can easily find a far cheaper alternatives in the market during winter if need be..!
                          hence why they are currently giving the cold shoulder to Ali and excluding him all together from the game day squads, in order to discourage him from staying put and preferring instead to offloading him and his rid themselves of his high wages to balance the books..!!
                          like i said before he is very likely to continue to be excluded from game day squads until all hopes of offloading him elsewhere have vanished ...!

tbh, i can actually see him thrive much better as a counter-attacking RWB in this Brighton set-up than playing a straight Winger anywhere in EPL for that matter..!!
                          He is a player that thrives at running/countering into Open Spaces and exposing defensive soft spots on the run and providing far more quality attacking service to BHA CFs...!! Playing under ultra defensive coaches such as CH last season & under CQ for many years in TM has really sured up his tracking back and defensive marking abilities too...!!
                          besides he simply lacks the dribbling and technical skills to efficiently and consistently deal with the in-your-face, physical defenders he is likely to faced, playing as an outNout Winger in this this fast, physical and ruthlessly challenging league..!

he could possibly challenge March for LWB position too ? but i believe at some point in this season Bernardo going to make that spot his own to keep ..! next is playing the Locadia's more withdrawn CF/Winger spot in the current system of play...! or pin his hopes on a major shift in formation and tactics from Pothead and see how could figure in that set-up...?

ftb, it probably would be wise for him to take the PSV loan option but only if isnt asked to sacrifice wages..... otherwise just stay put and continue to train hard, knowing that BHA can ill-afford to just let a player of his caliber just sit and collect wages ..!

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post

Aziz sounded probably a bit more rude than I meant it. I apologize but I still think ARJ needs to play to make an impact. In the current situation he is not even given a chance. How can you do something. Just train well and wait sounds too little for a record signing. I'd say make your way to a team that respects you...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

Comment

Why is Potter not picking up Ghoddos?

Is Brighton not interested in Iranians cuz of JB?

Comment

Guys there is no concern that Jahanbaksh can perform and do well in the RWB position, I mean under Hughton it was not much different honestly and he did his defensive duties well but did not score or assist because he was not able to get into forward positions much and said himself he wasn't given the flexibility to be selfish on the ball.

So long story short if he stays he can eventually break into the starting 11 as a RWB. But is this what we as fans want for him? Is this in his best interest? I don't think so. Jahanbakhsh's specialty is in the attack, assisting and scoring. So he needs to be in an around the oppositions box to spread his wings and show the world his potential. It's so sad that now for the 2nd season in a row he is not being given this opportunity in the premier league. In hindsight he made a mistake coming to Brighton and should have gone to Leceister or a mid-table table from one of the other top European leagues such as the Serie A, Bundesliga, or La Liga that would have used him as a right winger.

At this moment in time if the only options are for him are to stay at Brighton and fight for a RWB spot or instead go to PSV which finished 2nd in Holland last season and is currently in Europa league qualifiers where he's be used in an attacking role, he should go to PSV in a heart beat! At PSV he can get back to his scoring and assisting ways and potentially go against reputable opposition in Europe and bring his stock back up for a switch at the end of the season to a better team in a better league.

Comment

Working...
                                X