Interview with TM players regarding preparations and our soccer in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview with TM players regarding preparations and our soccer in general

I would say that many of the points they bring up have been addressed at least somewhat. Others continue.

What is the biggest problem regarding our soccer?

Fonoonizadeh: Even though our soccer has a long history, however, others force things upon us. After many years they finally took us to a camp in Germany for 20 days while Oman has been camped in France and England, spends money and is still not a good team. In Tehran although we were hosts we were forced to play in the heat at 5 in the evening while Syria got to choose their times for the return matches.

Khakpour: It’s hard to say what kind of planning we have. Arab countries are paying close attention to their soccer, they hire foreign coaches, have direct contact with soccer across the globe, they have new stadiums and are following the blueprint of advanced soccer nations. What about us? Our practices are in the Davoodieh Hills. We have no income from soccer. Our stars make less than the doormen at Azadi Stadium even though we are the ones necessitating their presence. Our national team stars don’t have a monthly income. We are one of the richest countries in the world with our oil reserves so we should afford a good athletic foundation. We have no insurance. Fonoonizadeh had to have knee surgery but had to pay for it out of his own pocket. If someone gets injured, they are on their own. No one even checks to see how they are doing. We still don’t know how Abedzadeh is going to turn out.

Estili: The role of the other provinces used to be more prominent in our soccer but now it’s no competition. Clubs are suffering due to high costs and no one is helping them. Our national league is not good. It has taken away from the importance of Tehran’s league. Tehran with a 12 million population should have at least 4 teams in the league.

Gholampour: Investing in our youth will have a good outcome. They need classes and training under first class coaches and contacts with good European and African teams.

Khakpour: I wanted to point out another problem. Our good coaches go to the big and famous teams. There is none of them left to coach our youth. The ones who end up coaching them haven’t learned anything themselves to now pass it on to the youth.

Daei: Our soccer has no structure or plan. Attention to the youth is nonexistent. If we neglect them they will slip away. Club and national team players don’t have long careers. Who looks after national team players? Peyrovani got injured in an accident and was hospitalized. Our team has no doctor, or if it does, he does nothing. Almost as if they are too good to be present on the sidelines.

Modirroosta: I agree with what everyone has said. It’s not clear if we are professional or not. Many club players have an office job until 2pm and afterwards have to practice for a few hours before going home. This takes a mental toll on them. We see that Oman and Syria are giving us problems. The Syrians are in complete comfort and it’s been rumored that each player will receive a Mercedes Benz if they defeat us.

Khakpour: Various (aged) teams play different styles. In Germany all level teams from the youth to full national team play the same way. The youth line up in a 3-5-2 the same way their adult internationals do.

Fonoonizadeh: Let me point something out. Although we defeated Oman in the return match but although you don’t want to hear this they played better than us.

Derakhshan: We can have a stronger program by going professional. Our biggest asset is our fans as income from ticket sales will go back to clubs. We were afraid of Oman? Our current crop of players after playing 10 preparation games should be able to solve its technical problems and go head to head against European teams. In Qatar I played against many European stars, including Matthaus, and didn’t see much of a difference between us. We need schools for training our 18 and even 15 year olds. We all came to the team too late. In Europe 19 year olds are already fixed players in their national teams. We have no facilities, just Amjadieh and Azadi fields. Club teams need practice fields and friendly matches. We’re like a mechanic who knows how to do his job but doesn’t have the right tools.

What is the plan going into the final round of qualification in Qatar?

Derakhshan: If we don’t start today it will be too late. We know the players. We should ensure they are not worried about their financial situation as it really ages a man. There’s nothing wrong with facing good teams and possibly losing if it prepares us. We are capable of becoming an organized team to face our 5 opponents. Playing against the likes of Tajikistan, Kirgistan and Pakistan does nothing for us. It’s not hard to go through the proper process to arrange games with Germany or France, or invite Barcelona or Marseille. Our players are always worried on the field. One German coach once told us not to play in a hurried state and to play calmly, to enjoy the experience. It’s because of this anxiety that in the first 25 minutes we can’t even put 2 passes together. This is the difference between professionalism and amateurism.

Question for Modirroosta: You play with different players up front. Who do you prefer?

Modirroosta: In an aerial game I prefer Daei or Marfavi. On the ground I’m better with Garousi as we also play on the same club team.

Question for Daei: Did you think you would become the national team’s forward?

Daei: I have to constantly practice to be in the best shape and if then deserving you will make it to the national team. You also can’t forget who plays next to me. Soccer is a team sport.

Question for Fonoonizadeh: We are familiar with your long range shots but they seemed to be off.

Fonoonizadeh: I had some issues and in the games with Oman and Syria my foot hurt.

Question for Derakhshan: Why do our goal scorers want to accompany the ball in the net? Why not shoot from distance?

Derakhshan: You have to have the chance to do that. You have to practice it. This all comes back to practicing and duplicating it in a game.

Question for Derakhshan: As captain is there anyone who doesn’t listen to your instructions?

Derakhshan: I don’t consider myself as captain. I’m friends with my my loyal teammates. Everyone is kind and respectful and accept what I say. Some complained that I am not strict enough and have to be rough. I take into account what’s best for the team. Why be rough?
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Daie's words are golden

Comment

This seems to be from 1993 and before the disastrous qualification campaign for World Cup 1994.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
        This seems to be from 1993 and before the disastrous qualification campaign for World Cup 1994.
        Yes it was after the first round of qualifiers.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Daei was the only guy who performed well in that tournament, the rest were garbage, including the coaching staff!

Comment

Working...
          X