Team Melli 2022 World Cup Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Melli 2022 World Cup Squad

With the Asian Cup coming around the corner for TM (and hopefully along much success), the period after that will usher in an upheaval for our roster and perhaps coaching staff as Iran eyes the 2022 World Cup. Thanks to the passion of our countrymen, investments of FFIRI, CQ and many other experts in Iran, we may have a roster with greater potential than any other we have seen in modern times. We know the 1998 WC team had some exceptionally talented players, as did the 2006 squad, as flawed as it was. Meanwhile the 2014 version of TM was perhaps the thinnest we had ever seen in terms of natural talent, but boosted by great coaching/discipline and team spirit. The 2018 team surely had more depth, but there are many notable players here who have been, or will be phased out of TM after the Asian Cup.

For the purposes of this analysis I'm looking at players in five lenses: 1) 2018 WC players being phased out of TM due to their age in 2022, 2) 2018 WC players who may still be considered for TM in 2022, 3) 2018 WC players a part of our 2022 core group, 4) other players who were considered for WC 2018, and finally, 5) young players who clearly have the talent to make our 2022 squad. Obviously, there are variable that will impact our 2022 team that we cannot account (continued emergence of diaspora players, injuries, breakthroughs, etc).:

1) From the group being phased out we're losing 1 keeper, 1 defender, 4 midfielders and 1 forward, all who will be age 33 and appear unlikely to hold a spot in TM. All four midfielders are traditional starters in TM, so we have a large gap here going forward.

2) From the list of borderline players we have 1 keeper, 5 primarily defenders and 2 forwards.
    Based off what we know from categories 1 and 2, there are 14 positions up for grabs in our 23-man WC roster. These include 2 keepers, 6 defenders, 4 midfielders, and 3 forwards. What remains? That's our next category.

3) There is a core group of 8 players with the age, talent and expected career trajectory to anchor our 2022 roster. The "essential eight" include 1 keeper, 2 defenders, 3 midfielders, and 2 primarily forwards.

4) We also have six players that were borderline candidates for the 2018 WC squad (or emerged shortly after). 3 of them are defenders, in addition to 1 players that primarily plays midfield, and 2 forwards.

5) Finally, the most exciting category: the future. Without being able to fully grasp the depths of the diaspora or even domestic players, we have at least five players who are clearly in TM's future plans. They include 2 primarily defenders, 1 midfielder, and 2 primarily forwards.

To summarize: TM 2022 will have open spots for 2 keepers, 6 defenders, 4 midfielders, and 3 forwards. Currently, we have 1 keeper, 10 defenders, 2 midfielders, and 6 forwards who are in the conversation to fill these roles. I'm sure candidates will emerge for the open positions, but this rough analysis shows something many of us have suspected: Iran is producing TM-calibre players who are disproportionately attacking players, while we have a generation of midfielders who are retiring. It is also not clear how many of the potential 2022 midfielders are prepared to fill the shoes of TM starters such as Shojaei, Dejagah, Ebrahimi, etc. Are there undiscovered talents within Iran or the diaspora who will emerge for these midfield positions? Are there current players who will grow into these positions? Will forwards have to continue to play out of position in the midfield? Or will Team Melli suffer through a further decline of its midfield abilities? Will future game-day strategies have to revolve around "long ball" methods, connecting defenders to forwards, when our midfielders cannot do that job? This is the most pressing issue facing the future of TM's roster, regardless of who our next coach is.

Player lists for each category below, along with ages in 2022:

1) Phased out
    MF - Shojaei - 38
    MF - Ebrahimi - 34
    MF - Amiri - 34
    GK - Mazaheri - 33
    DF - Montazeri - 38
    FW - Ghoochannejhad - 34
    MF - Dejagah - 35

2) Border line
    DF/MF - Hajsafi - 32
    DF - Pouraliganji - 30
    DF - Cheshmi - 28
    FW - Ansarifard - 32
    DF - Khanzadeh - 31
    FW - Taremi - 29
    GK - Abedzadeh - 29
    DF - Rezaeian - 32

3) Core
    GK - Beiranvand - 29
    MF - Torabi - 27
    DF - Mohammadi - 28
    MF - Ezatolahi - 25
    FW/MF - Ghoddos - 28
    MF - Jahanbakhsh - 29
    DF - Hosseini - 25
    FW - Azmoun - 27

4) Others
    MF/FW - Gholizadeh - 26
    DF - Moharrami - 26
    DF - Naderi - 26
    FW - Rezaei - 30
    DF - Aghaei - 27
    FW - Alipour - 27

5) New generation
    FW/MF - Delfi - 22
    FW - Sayyadmanesh - 21
    MF - Shekari - 24
    DF/MF - Noorafkan - 25
    DF - Shariati - 22

Amiri and ebrahimi will be most difficult to replace
    WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

This sort analysis are pointless. Nobody in 2014 thought that Alireza Beiranvand, Majid Hosseini, Vahid Amiri, Mehdi Taremi, Roozbeh Cheshmi, Saman Ghoddos and Ramin Rezaeian will feature in the 2018 world cup.

Comment

That is too early to think about 2022 squad, lots of things can happen. Remember Majid Hosseini wasn't around TM 1 year before WC.

Comment

Azmon Will play forever and be the next Ali Daei without the achievements.

Comment

Originally posted by persiangodfather View Post
            Amiri and ebrahimi will be most difficult to replace
            Soltanimehr looked good before, he will be 23 in 2022 we have to see how he looks in a couple of years. He is playing for Saipa.

Amiri, I think we will have more choices coming up.I think we are kind of stacked in the winger position now.
            Backup defenders looks light and also an attacking midfielder can do a lot of good for us.
            Wished Carlos would invite Shekari to the Camp to evaluate and motivate.
            I think he will call up some more players after Asian Cup.

Comment

I predict Shojaei will still be there

Comment

Originally posted by Iran_19 View Post
                That is too early to think about 2022 squad, lots of things can happen. Remember Majid Hosseini wasn't around TM 1 year before WC.
                This is the opposite of strategic planning.

CQ got a bit lucky that Hosseini stepped up to the plate when Cheshmi went down (and while Montazeri was supposedly in the training room).

If we're going to groom players to fill these 15 spots outside of our core 8 players (2 keepers, 6 defenders, 4 midfielders, and 3 forwards), that work starts right after the Asian Cup.

Hopefully we get lucky with another Hosseini or Ghoddos. But you're not going to end up with 15 lucky players on your roster the year before the WC. Planning starts NOW. That's what professionalism means.

Comment

This kind of article is about two years too early

Comment

There will be at least 4, 5 players that are playing in youth teams right now. Some of them
                    might be 15, 16 years old right now. Under normal circumstances less than 10 players of this years team will be part of the 2022 team. Age and quality wise we can definately count on Azmoun, Jahanbakhsh, Pouraliganji, Hosseini, Beiranvand, Moharrami, Ezzatolahi. Not so sure about the likes of Rezaei, Rezaeian, Ansarifard or Taremi. Shojaei, Dejagah, Montazeri, Ebrahimi will be out 99%.

Just compare our 2014 squad to our 2018 squad and see the difference. 4 years is a lot of time in professional sports. And this time (for the first time actually) its 4 1/2 years.

Comment

Just checked only 8 players out of 23 from the 2014 WC made this years WC.
                      Montazeri, Hajsafi, Khanzadeh, Jahanbakhsh, Dejagah, Shojaei, Ghoochannejhad & Ansarifard.

Comment

2018 team was all about brotherhood, chivalry, solidarity and unity...hope new teammates keep the fire burning, CQ stays for another jumbo roller coaster ride AND we finally go beyond the group stage...
                        Keep calm and believe in Fairies and Footballers Roxanaz

Comment

Originally posted by ShiroKhorshid View Post
                          Just checked only 8 players out of 23 from the 2014 WC made this years WC.
                          Montazeri, Hajsafi, Khanzadeh, Jahanbakhsh, Dejagah, Shojaei, Ghoochannejhad & Ansarifard.

CQ made several comments in the build up to the last World Cup to imply that his squad is much more talented now than it was back in 2014, where there were essentially fringe players making up the numbers for our 23 man squad.

The first half of his tenure saw many transient national team players feature in our squads alongside aging stalwarts and promising talent (Azmoun, ARJ, Ezatolahi, PAG, etc.). Since that time, he's predominantly only tested a few youngsters or in-form IPL players to see if they can cut the mustard, alongside a largely familiar squad.

The average age of the core of our squad is still quite young. I expect we'll see much more than 8 returning players from the 2018 squad in 4 years time, should we qualify. With Gucci retired, only 5 of the remaining 22 are over 30 years old. I'd rule out Shojaei and Montazeri (perhaps already gone) but the other 3 could still be in and around the squad in that time. That's up to 20 players with a very real chance of staying in the nation team set up.

I agree with most people that this thread is very premature but if anything, it's worth assessing our current talent pool across each position as an indicator of how the TM squad will likely evolve in years to come.

I've devised a list of our squad depth with at least 4 players in each position. As I'm certain our two eldest players from 2018 will retire before 2022, I've not included them. There are also a few current/recent TM call ups that I've not included based on personal opinion that they're not long term TM quality. I've included an U23 player in the final spot of each position as well.

I think this is evident that our central and attacking midfield is weak and lacking strength in depth. Besides Ghoddos and Ezatolahi, there isn't a single player I'd feel confident in naming in a 2022 squad - that's 2 or 3 players. We really do need one or two solid central players to step up in the coming years.

Aside from the weak areas, it would be nice to have another really solid CB and striker/goalscorer.

Other factors that will affect TM's quality:
                          Can Taremi, Alipour, Sayyad, Torabi, Delfi, Beiranvand and/or S.H. Hosseini move to a European club?
                          Can Gholizadeh, Noorafkan, Shekari, Moharammi and/or Naderi cement themselves within the first team of their clubs?
                          Can Azmoun, Ghoddos, Ezatolahi, Hosseini and/or PAG earn moves to a bigger club/league?

Comment

CQ shirrrrreeeeh

And cheshmeh hasood, whether Croatian or otherwise, koooooor

Dorood bar Team Melli

(only team Melli)

Comment

Working...
                            X