Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was this the last genuine World Cup for Iran to shine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
    I kindof agree with your comments but not the exact semantics of your question in the thread title. The proper question which I think you meant was "Was this the last genuine World Cup?" (regardless of Iran's performance) To which the answer is: probably.

UNLESS somehow Qatar loses the 2022 world cup because of corruption or human right issues, which is still possible. So many of the things we have taken granted in previous world cups will be missing in Qatar - atmosphere, fanbases in cities (eg Peruvians in Sochi), the general travel and excitement.

World cup of 48 teams from 2026 onwards will be garbage and imho will spell the splitting up of world football into different competitions (akin to Volleyball). There may be an elite tournament of 8-16 nations and then this world cup will be a free-for-all money spinner for FIFA. But the prestige of the world cup will be gone as there will be too much dross and imbalance.

So yes, I think this was the last genuine World Cup. But I still think that Iran can shine in future world football tournaments, whatever they will be called.
    Exactly, added to and made my argument clearer of what I was getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Mark View Post
      There is no failure if you lose but act and talk as you have won.Isn 't it how some of the Iranian die-heart fans and IFF / Sports Ministry pretend?
      Yes it is.

but then, if one was expecting his team to get thrashed (or just lose) all three games, but ends up with 4 points and a last second chance to advance, I would call it a victory of sorts as well.

for me, so long as everyone gives it's best, that's all that I can ask for and in all honesty, everyone on our side gave it 110%.

Comment

I dunno I guess it sucks we couldn’t qualify to the second round in a euro based World Cup and probably after Qatar 2022 it’ll be a watered down World Cup

Comment

Originally posted by PersianLion80 View Post
          Hey guys new here as a member, was a member a long time ago in the beginning.
          Anyone else get that feeling that this was the last true World Cup? Next one’s in Qatar in the winter and won’t have that open, party, feel to it .
          Then in 2022 it expands to 48 teams so it won’t be as special anymore, qualification won’t be as meaningful and the tournament itself will be subpar with too many minnows and groups of 3 with 2 advancing. I mean almost any country will qualify-China, India, Cuba, uae, Iraq, Syria, etc
          I can’t get this feeling out of me that we failed to advance in the last “real” World Cup-I know it sounds stupid but after this World Cup that’s been on my mind that I’m 2022 it won’t be as much an achievement anymore.
          Is this the last real World Cup
          i completely agree with you. the dilution will be difficult to watch. 48 teams...FIFA are such scum. It's one thing to increase it from 32 to 36 or something, but to increase it by 1/3...infuriating. the tournament will definitely lose its luster.

but maybe that's what KC McElroy and the other old farts were saying when they increased it from 24 to 32.

Comment

On the contrary with the addition of minnows TM may/will shine better as we will be almost guaranteed a win at group stages. Plus I am confident all these subpar football nations at the World Cup will create some serious upset at times against some football giants, thus more excitements and unexpected events to witness during the upcoming World Cups.

Not to mention the amount of $$$$$ that will flow to football/FIFA which will down the line benefit all teams of the World Cup!

Comment

Working...
            X