X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importance of possession in football

It is important to have ball possession in football
    You can not score without the ball
    But to maintain possession of the ball with side to side movements is boring and ineffective
    CQ has shown the world how to play against it
    To attack direct fast with minimal waste of time is the way to go
    You need to be fit to run for 90 minuets
    Don’t waste your chances
    Iran’s problem was that we wasted all our shots
    It should have been us playing the Russians
    What a waste

Comment

Look at the stats for the Spain vs Russia game, as well as the other games in the round of 16 so far.

France- 41%, Won the game

Russia- 26%, Won the game

Uruguay- 39%, Won the game

Possession football doesn't mean shit

Comment

Russia 41% vs. Saudi Arabia, won 5-0.

Comment

This WC is by far the strangest and toughest WC I have ever seen

In my 47 years on this earth.

Teams seem to have reall trouble scoring against excellent defenses

CQ knee that too well

I mean look at Spain again today, it was a lucky bounce for them if the Russian

Players leg very similar to thier goal vs. Iran.

This WC could be a case study for coaches 10 years from now

Comment

Possession is important but without intent.. you will end up like Spain this tournament.

I think Isco is an amazing footballer but to put Spain's football into perspective.. In today's match he had 132 passes tonight but only 12 passes were going forward.

Comment

Possession is a form of defence and also a formula to tire your opponent by making them re calculate positions and run too much. Creation of opportunities isn’t the essence of the final picture in terms of those that use this method (those good enough to do it)... It’s all about the change of pace once in the correct areas to move opponents out of position.

Comment

The only statistic that matters is how many goals you score vs how many you concede. That's it.
                Sign this petition to show opposition to US/UK support for the Rajavi/MKO cult

https://chng.it/ZsSzczNC2Z

Comment

Originally posted by rdwrrr View Post
                  It is important to have ball possession in football
                  You can not score without the ball
                  But to maintain possession of the ball with side to side movements is boring and ineffective
                  CQ has shown the world how to play against it
                  To attack direct fast with minimal waste of time is the way to go
                  You need to be fit to run for 90 minuets
                  Don’t waste your chances
                  Iran’s problem was that we wasted all our shots
                  It should have been us playing the Russians
                  What a waste
                  Espana migeh "che ajab".....
                  TEAM MELLI UNTIL THE END

Comment

Not much!

Spain is the most possession oriented team in the world. They
                    passed the ball a gazillion times but were able to only get one
                    win, out of 4 matches, against Iran and that with only a 1-0 scoreline.

Ball possession is overrated.

Comment

Russia is a good example of an overall defensive team with still a decent bit of attacking flair ..!
                      considering how well theyve been performing in this WC, i was quiet underwhelm with level of support they got from the locals..!!
                      it seemed to me as most russians didnt even dig the whole game of football all together..?

Comment

Coaches have figured out how to play against possession style football which is why it's been dying out. Football evolves all the time.

Comment

I never gave Portugal too much credit. If Taremi wasn't so "kaj" beghole maroof, we would be in the final 16. Spain scored a crap goal (it was an indirect own goal lol) and was playing in lion's den, in Russia, in front of Russian fans. Even South Korea went to the semi finals when they were hosting the WC in 2002. So I'm not surprised at all with the results of today, and no I don't believe we gave them too much credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Azeem98 View Post
                            Possession is a form of defence and also a formula to tire your opponent by making them re calculate positions and run too much. Creation of opportunities isn’t the essence of the final picture in terms of those that use this method (those good enough to do it)... It’s all about the change of pace once in the correct areas to move opponents out of position.

not if you're facing a team with 10 players defending in their own half of the field. They're not running much. You don't have much space to cover and so you sit back and wait for the team with possession to make an error. You expect less movement from the team without possession. That would be completely different if the defending team had players scattered over an entire field and had a strategy of going up and down the field.

This is why Russia and to some extent, Iran was successful.
                            “It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BacheLot View Post
                              Russia is a good example of an overall defensive team with still a decent bit of attacking flair ..!
                              considering how well theyve been performing in this WC, i was quiet underwhelm with level of support they got from the locals..!!
                              it seemed to me as most russians didnt even dig the whole game of football all together..?
                              A better example was Mexico the way they played against Germany. They were exteremly deadly in their counter attacks and during their counters they weren't losing the ball so fast like Iran did.

Comment

Working...
                              X