Iran's offense was a disaster [By the numbers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The View Post
    The point is that the dude isn't the Genius people make him out to be. Compraed to Iranian coaches he might be a genius, but compared to other coaches who get paid as much as he does, he is a decent coach. I wouldn't have to bring people back down to earth, if they weren't acting like he's better than he actually is. He's a decent coach. That's it. Not a Genius, not a Magician.The dude parked the bus and with a bit of luck (Morocco Own goal, and a questionable last minute penatly against Portugal) managed to get 4 points. And I don't think we "gained the respect of the world and pundits". For every pundit who thought Iran played well, there was another who thought we played an ugly game and got lucky.

I'm more of the mind of accepting that Iran is in a shitty sitution and not many people want to work in Iran. CQ is a decent coach (not a genius, not Worldclass), but is one of the best we can realistically get.
    You may look at it that we were lucky to get an own goal win over Morocco, and a lucky penalty against Portugal.

However, I look at it like we were UNLUCKY.

-We we're unlucky in Azmoun not finishing his 1 v 1 chance vs Morocco. Unlucky that ARJ's rebound was saved. Unlucky that Ansarifard wasted a good chance on goal.

- Against Spain we were the most unlucky! Unlucky that Ansarifard's shot went slightly wide. Unlucky that Costa even had the ball touch his feet, let alone score a pathetic LUCKY goal! Unlucky that Pique's marvelous nutmeg was wasted by a poor Taremi header. Unlucky that Ghoddos' low shot went slightly wide... And lets not forget, UNLUCKY THAT EZATOLAHI'S GOAL WAS MARKED OFFSIDE...

- Against Portugal, we were very unlucky as well! Unlucky that Ezatolahi's header was framed directly to Patricio, unlucky that Ronaldo was EVEN GIVEN a penalty, unlucky that Iran were refused a penalty nearly three times! Unlucky that Ronaldo escaped without a red card, unlucky that Taremi missed another EASY GOAL!!!

The, I generally like your posts a lot, but I hope you begin to appreciate what CQ has done for us, because like you said, "He's the best that we can get."

Comment

We have had this discussion of CQ his coaching qualities so many times, there is no point in arguing that.

He is a keeper, but this topic is actually about our horrible offensive stats. I simply can't see us lifting the trophy in UAE next year if we barely manage to score 1 goal against Asian opposition.

Regarding the last 2 World Cups, we scored 3 goals in 6 games. 2 of them were not directly created by our own players, 1 of them was when we were technically eliminated. So we scored 0.5 goal per game on average. We need 2 games to score on average.

That's just not sustainable with all the talents we have upfront. South Korea, Japan, Australia are way more potent in attack than us and it may bite us in the ass. Not conceding every game is a highly stressful tactic to employ and when you fall behind your entire plan goes to shambles.

In the last WCQ campaign, even Saudi and Iraq had more goals scored in total. Their group was arguably harder than ours.

And last, I'm getting tired of people who sarcastically comment that we expect Tiki Taka and more ball possession. I have seen other sides that score way more with the opportunities they are given while playing defensive. I'm talking Belgium, France and Russia as main examples.

Comment

We are creating enough quality chances to score more than once a game - at the end of the day, the forwards need to finish.

We won 1-0 vs Uzbeks, but if we were more clinical, it could have been 3-0. The tactics deployed are getting us scoring opportunities, but you can only take it so far if your forwards are not burying their chances.

Comment

Working...
        X