No announcement yet.

Do we really need to be so defensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe in a few years when B'vand has become the world #1 keeper ( I believe he has what it takes) and we are assured of total shut down of our goal with a solid 4 defenders, we will be unstoppable going forward and will achieve greater heights. But for now maybe it is better to be on the safe side.
    هرگاه شما بازیکنی دیدید که از نظر تکنیک و قدرت بدنی فوق العاده است و همیشه یکسان است و تحت هیچ شرایط هیچ افتی ندارد شما یک فوق ستاره پیدا کرده اید در غیر اینصورت شما به یک بازیکن معمولی
    نگاه میکنید.
    sigpic
    I am Persian. I used to rule the world. I will never be subservient to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by pdot View Post
      8 posts, joins June 2018.
      Most members here have been watching Iranian soccer religiously for the last 10+ years.
      We are not good enough to not play defensive against Spain or Portugal. If you don't think so go watch our friendly a month ago against Turkey where we didn't play defensive.

Highlights for you:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-q8jcQQHGU
      Did you watch the last 30 minutes of our game against Spain?
      I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Camran khan View Post
        Actually I see it the other way around. I'm not saying TM is playing the ideal way, sure we have lots of ways to improve, but I keep seeing more and more 'smaller' teams manage to steal points from bigger teams by playing defensive, something that didn't happen as frequently before.
        Look I'm not saying don't go defense first. But a good defense needs to maintain possession, play from the back to front. Just aimlessly kicking the ball away just gives the opposition another chance to attack. Also you have to be more clinical in buildup and counters if you take this approach. We have not perfected these aspects of our game. I mean imagine if all 11 players lined up in goal and just blocked shots...you might not get scored on but is that a wise strategy?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
        Remember RESPECT BEGETS RESPECT & Zob Ahan

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
          Did you watch the last 30 minutes of our game against Spain?
          Did you watch 2nd half Argentina?
          we did get offensive automatically (without getting scored) after min. 50-60. Its a wrong notion that we defend all the time. We have a strategy to start defensively and push forward the last 30mins of the game to surprise opponents who were getting tired of aimlessly attacking us!

We never play 90 mins defense under CQ! Even if Spain wouldn’t have scored, we would have done the same attacks after min 60!
          CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adesor Vafaseya View Post
            Did you watch 2nd half Argentina?
            we did get offensive automatically (without getting scored) after min. 50-60. Its a wrong notion that we defend all the time. We have a strategy to start defensively and push forward the last 30mins of the game to surprise opponents who were getting tired of aimlessly attacking us!

We never play 90 mins defense under CQ! Even if Spain wouldn’t have scored, we would have done the same attacks after min 60!
            I don't think we defend all the time. I would have been ok if our first 60 minutes against Spain was the same as it was against Argentina. But what we did against Spain was simply kick the ball as far up field anytime they lost the ball. We hardly even tried to counter and the aimless boots into an empty half of the field looked embarrassing.
            I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

CQ literally has a strategy thats always to go for the win. It is highly related to his subs, and an offensive surge around minute 60-65. IT didnt happen vs morocco, bc the subs got fucked up with ebrahimi's injury. We saw it against spain, it was always the game plan to go for the win, because a draw would not have helped us at all ( We still would have needed to win our final match).

Opening up early is suicide. By keeping it so tight, the frustration of opposition grows, they become very annoyed, and are put into a false sense of security that iran can only defend. Then, as the throw to many bodies forward and forget about their defensive duties, TM can strike, like we saw vs Spain, and in the first half vs morocco after the first 20 mins.

If we play totally open like some morons suggest, then we will end up like tunisia, who are a talented team that decided to just go gung ho vs belgium, lost 5-2, thanks but not thanks.

Our match vs Turkey we played open, and gave up the most chances I have ever seen us give up, again, No thanks. Once TM has midfield players and defenders capable of competing TECHNICALLY with the spanish and portuguese, then we can play expansive open football. Until then, this is our only chance. Whoever says otherwise clearly doesnt understand football.

Comment

I don't think we defend all the time. I would have been ok if our first 60 minutes against Spain was the same as it was against Argentina. But what we did against Spain was simply kick the ball as far up field anytime they lost the ball. We hardly even tried to counter and the aimless boots into an empty half of the field looked embarrassing.
                But we did the same vs Argentina too in the first half.
                I think its all part of the strategy, too frustrate the opponents, and then surpirse them!
                Whatever looked “embarrassing” in first half, looked overall good after 95 mins.

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

I think its all part of the strategy, too frustrate the opponents, and then surpirse them!
                  Whatever looked “embarrassing” in first half, looked overall good after 95 mins.
                  No we had legitimate chances against them. Against Spain I recall at least 3 times that after they lost the ball we simply booted the ball upfield to no one, no Iranian player even close or even present in their half, as if we weren't even interested in trying to counter attack and just wanted to kill the clock and game.

Comment

Originally posted by pdot View Post
                    8 posts, joins June 2018.
                    Most members here have been watching Iranian soccer religiously for the last 10+ years.
                    We are not good enough to not play defensive against Spain or Portugal. If you don't think so go watch our friendly a month ago against Turkey where we didn't play defensive.

Highlights for you:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-q8jcQQHGU
                    I can show you games of England, Brazil, Germany etc where we have played worse.

True, I've not been watching Iranian footy as religiously as most here hence bringing the discussion to the forum. I won't pretend to know the way we should play watching just world cup games and a handful of qualifiers.

But I know what footy is, living in a country where it's played religiously and very seriously and I'm active on several other footy forums, having been an amateur player and I've likely watched more live very high quality footy matches than, with respect, anyone living in Canada And I know what I see. What I see, on the strength of all last WC's games and the games I've seen this WC and the few qualifiers in between is we're not as shit as we think we are.

Sometimes it takes an outsider like me, someone who knows footy well but who isn't coloured by years of Iranian footy, to just cast a different light on things. We were EXCELLENT against Spain, one of the best teams in the world, when we attacked. Likewise against Argentina several years ago. Another ref and we'd have won that game.

I just don't understand where this defeatist attitude comes from. Please please please let's not evolve to become another boring Italy.

Comment

Ya two 1-0 defeats against Argentina and Spain...the stat that really matters wouldn't you agree? We are trying to move to round if 16...perhaps just holding teams back isn't the best strategy?

Comment

No we had legitimate chances against them. Against Spain I recall at least 3 times that after they lost the ball we simply booted the ball upfield to no one, no Iranian player even close or even present in their half, as if we weren't even interested in trying to counter attack and just wanted to kill the clock and game.
                        its still a strategy, albeit an unattractive one. (I love it though!)

Comment

Spot on. Booting it up the field will only invite more pressure.

Yes ok defend, that's fine. But then actually try to counter attack. As my fellow England fans tell me (along English commentators like Ian Wright) "you have some very good players". Yes, we do. We should use them.

Comment

Originally posted by O-ZoNe View Post
                            Ya two 1-0 defeats...the stat that really matters wouldn't you agree? We are trying to move to round if 16...perhaps just holding teams back isn't the best strategy?
                            WC 2006, attacking football 1:3 to Mexioco loss, 0:2 to Portugal.
                            WC 1978, attacking football, 0:3 to Netherlands, 1:4 (freaking 1:4) to Peru.
                            No Thanks!

2014 we came very close to beat Argentina, so did we vs Spain! I take this stratgey over previous attempts!

I am afraid, this is an area we disagree...

Comment

Originally posted by Sam khan View Post
                              Spot on. Booting it up the field will only invite more pressure.

Yes ok defend, that's fine. But then actually try to counter attack. As my fellow England fans tell me (along English commentators like Ian Wright) "you have some very good players". Yes, we do. We should use them.
                              HELLO???
                              we dont defend for 90mins, thats bullshit! we start attacking after 50-60 mins!

English commentators:
                              Yes if we had the same youth level as English Premiel League and same fitness, we would play 90 mins pressing and attack and kick all their english a$$es or arses I should say!

Comment

WC 2006, attacking football 1:3 to Mexioco loss, 0:2 to Portugal.
                                WC 1978, attacking football, 0:3 to Netherlands, 1:4 (freaking 1:4) to Peru.
                                No Thanks!

2014 we came very close to beat Argentina, so did we vs Spain! I take this stratgey over previous attempts!

I am afraid, this is an area we disagree...
                                Lol defensive football in 2014...0-0 Nigeria and 1-3 loss to eliminated Bosnia with a chance to progress. Man we can skew things anyway!

1978 for example...we drew a powerful Scotland. 98 we almost had Yugo and deserved at least a 3-1 v USA...playing more offensive minded of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X