No announcement yet.

What group of death?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course there are clear favorites but like I said just because there are clear favorites doesn't disqualify a group from being the group of death.

Tell me which is the group of death between these 2 groups. Iran's group or the Colombia/Poland/Senegal/Japan group?

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
    But you still haven't answered my question. To a neutral observer are there any clear favorites in the group?

Comment

^ none, there's no group of death in this edition. You're no obliged to lable a group as such during every tournament when there isn't one.

Comment

Originally posted by Persian-Pride87 View Post
        Of course there are clear favorites but like I said just because there are clear favorites doesn't disqualify a group from being the group of death.

Tell me which is the group of death between these 2 groups. Iran's group or the Colombia/Poland/Senegal/Japan group?
        Neither. Our group is tougher. There's is more balanced. A group of death needs both criteria.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Just to State the obvious: although our group is not a group of death, as neither Iran or Morocco are a sure ticket for advancing group stages, it is the most difficult group for the number 3 and 4 pull an upset and advance to knock out stages.

All other groups are way easier as either their strong teams are not both so strong of ours, or because their group is more balanced (the gap between team 1&2 with 3(&4) is less)

Comment

"One can have a pure group of death where all 4 teams have a chance of advancing"

I think you can make a case for groups E and F as the group of death in addition to our group, but I do not agree that a group with all 4 teams have an equal chance of qualifying should be considered as a group of death.

Replace Saudi Arabia with Morocco, both from pot 4, and you could argue that all 4 teams in group A have a reasonably equal chance of qualifying. You don't have a group of death, you just have 4 mediocre teams with an equal chance to qualify.
            “It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by OFFSIDE_1 View Post
              "One can have a pure group of death where all 4 teams have a chance of advancing"

I think you can make a case for groups E and F as the group of death in addition to our group, but I do not agree that a group with all 4 teams have an equal chance of qualifying should be considered as a group of death.

Replace Saudi Arabia with Morocco, both from pot 4, and you could argue that all 4 teams in group A have a reasonably equal chance of qualifying. You don't have a group of death, you just have 4 mediocre teams with an equal chance to qualify.
              It has two criteria, balance and strength. Your example has the balance but not the strength.
              I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

It has two criteria, balance and strength. Your example has the balance but not the strength.
                it is very unlikely, if not impossible, for any WC group to have 4 strong and evenly strength teams, so I don't consider that a valid criteria. So it really comes down to the 3 teams.

If you get 3 strong teams, I call that a group of death, that's why I said groups F and E can be called such. Our group would be considered a group of death depending on how high you rank Morocco. It's close. I think the fact that Morocco lost to Iran has some people changing their mind on whether this is a group of death or not. Prior to their game with us, many people called group B, the toughest group.

Euro examples stated above don't count.
                “It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by OFFSIDE_1 View Post
                  it is very unlikely, if not impossible, for any WC group to have 4 strong and evenly strength teams, so I don't consider that a valid criteria. So it really comes down to the 3 teams.

If you get 3 strong teams, I call that a group of death, that's why I said groups F and E can be called such. Our group would be considered a group of death depending on how high you rank Morocco. It's close. I think the fact that Morocco lost to Iran has some people changing their mind on whether this is a group of death or not. Prior to their game with us, many people called group B, the toughest group.

Euro examples stated above don't count.
                  I doesn't come to that at all. Since you can't have such groups with all the Asian, African and CONCACAF teams you simply don't have groups of death anymore. You just have hard/average/easy groups. Also they don't have to be evenly strengthed. They just have to be close enough for each of the four to have a reasonable chance of advancing. Our group doesn't gave that as the chances for Portugal and Spain are much higher than ours.

Comment

I doesn't come to that at all. Since you can't have such groups with all the Asian, African and CONCACAF teams you simply don't have groups of death anymore. You just have hard/average/easy groups. Also they don't have to be evenly strengthed. They just have to be close enough for each of the four to have a reasonable chance of advancing. Our group doesn't gave that as the chances for Portugal and Spain are much higher than ours.
                    that's fine. I would consider E and F to be 1a and 1b, and group B to be 2.

Comment

Whether or not group B is the group of death, the world of football will surely get a shock wave after we find our selves in the knockout stage by beating Portugal tomorrow or in some places later on today.

Comment

Originally posted by Irandoust View Post
                        Whether or not the group B is the group of death, the world of football will surely get a shock wave after we find our selves in the knockout stage by beating Portugal tomorrow or in some places later on today.
                        I certainly hope so. It would be one of the best moments of my life if we beat them tomorrow.

Comment

Mine too, I think every Iranian football fan around the world will feel something very special upon experiencing the fact that Iran is on the verge joining the 16 teams of the best that footballing world has to offer.

Comment

Working...
                          X