Urgent Appeal: We Need To Control the Narrative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This World Cup campaign till now has far exceeded most of our expectations and brought us a sense of pride that I don’t remember having in any of our previous World Cups. But anyone that’s watched the media coverage of our games (or spent 10 minutes on Twitter) will find that we're constantly being bashed.

The reality doesn’t match the narrative we’re seeing in global media.

We need to do something about this.

Anyone that watched ITV's half-time analysis with Roy Kean and Ian Wright must have been shocked by the disrespect leveled at TM. Accusing us of playing dirty, cheating, negative, making the game unwatchable and on and on. I watched the analysis on Irish, American and other English-language channels and they were just as bad.

I remember back in 2000 to 2006 there was an Iranian football forum (which I don’t think exists anymore) and any time, for example, there was an article that was anything less than gushing with praise about TM we would mobilise en masse and make them offer corrections. After a while the image that was portrayed of TM in the media became much more aligned with reality.

We need that today more than ever.

We’re playing brilliant football yet everywhere you look they label us cheats. I’m not asking us to go as far as Saudi football twitter where they mobilise in large numbers and vote for Saudi in any football related poll, no matter how absurd. What I am saying is that we need to become much more involved as TM’s 12th man and when anyone finds disrespect or falsehood about us to please post it on PFDC so we can have a voice (in fact, it might be a good idea to start a thread keeping tabs on pundits, analysts and others who spread false or disparaging info about TM so we can all know who they are and respond accordingly).

I get it--some members will say “who cares what others think of us”, and there’s nothing wrong with feeling that way. But for everyone else, I think it would be a shame for us to allow others to tarnish the image of this outstanding team. We are the stand-out story of this World Cup because no other team overcome all the odds to get this far. We need to make sure the world knows that.

tl;dr: Our boys are playing amazingly and putting everything they have on the line to bring glory to Iran’s name. They deserve our support so that their efforts aren’t in vain. We’re winning on the pitch but losing the narrative. Let’s change that.

Actually the germans were full of praise on TV!

Comment

It's Roy Keane, what do you expect! I watched the game on ITV and I was not happy about what he said too! maybe because he hates Carlos Queiroz. The good thing is that no one gives a dime on what Roy says! I went to big social media pages and they are all praising irans 2nd half game play. e.g. SportBible

Comment

^^ The only ones I've heard speak bad mouth Iran and the English wanks. I even heard praise for us from the one and only Alexis Lalas....who was part of the 98 USA team that we beat in France.

Comment

Yeah, US coverage was good -- the two announcers on Fox Sports gave a lot of time to TM and clearly had done their research. I was surprised, I'll admit, at how good it was.

Normally I'm quick to complain about these things, but the coverage in the US for today's game was great (admittedly, I missed the half time show, but for the rest I can say it was good).

Comment

Guillem Balague (Sky Sports Journalist who does good interviews with top coaches and players, he is spanish) praising Iran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pz1_CqyWB8

Comment

Can someone give HD links to Iran's 4 nutmegs on Spain? Silva got nutmegged twice by Ezzatolahi and then Taremi, and then Pique by Amiri. I see the Varzesh3 video on twitter but the quality of the video is terrible.

Comment

Commentator John Helm was saying lot's of good things about our Team throughout his commentary. He's my second favorite commentator after Martin Tyler.

Comment

Taylor twellman was full of praise for Iran today on sports center he was saying that the Portugal Iran game will be one of the best and anything can happen.

Only negative coverage I’ve heard about TM has been from the British wankers or the Irish....nobody really cares about their opinions anyway lol
                  Team Meli Iran
                  Perspolis FC
                  Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

I watched it on Fox Sports and the commentator was leading Iran the entire game
                    --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
                    --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
                    ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
                    --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
                    ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

Even NY Times nice to us now:

nytimes.com
                      Spain Lucky to Escape With 1-0 Victory Over Iran
                      Kevin Draper

By any statistical measure, Spain dominated Iran in Kazan Wednesday night. Spain controlled 78 percent of possession. Spain took 18 shots to Iran’s seven, five on target to Iran’s zero. Spain took three times as many corner kicks as Iran.

Yet when the referee blew his whistle to end a 1-0 Spain victory, the all-world Spanish players must have breathed an enormous sigh of relief. Iranian players collapsed onto the turf all around them, disconsolate at not having earned at least a draw.

The teams’ game plans were unsurprising to anybody who had watched Spain this decade or had seen Iran’s dreadful and undeserved victory over Morocco in their first game. Iran sat back, frequently putting all 11 men behind the ball, and Spain continually probed for a breakthrough.

It would not come in the first half, a credit to Iran’s defense. There were frantic clearances on balls into the burly Spanish forward Diego Costa, but mostly Iran’s defense was compact and organized, snuffing out attacks before they began. Manchester City midfielder David Silva had Spain’s best chances, as he was able to wriggle free and unleash a few shots. Spain had just one shot on frame in the first half.

But the dam couldn’t hold forever, and cruelly, Iran was the author of its own demise. In the 54th minute, Andres Iniesta slotted a ball through to Costa in the box, who tried to turn and get a shot off. Iranian center back Majid Hosseini got to the ball first, but his attempted clearance ricocheted off Costa’s knee and past a helpless Alireza Beiranvand.
                      Iran's players collapsed on the field after losing to Spain. Luis Acosta/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Iran Manager Carlos Queiroz, who led Real Madrid in the early 2000s, had a choice to make. Iran could open up and chase the game, hoping to find an equalizer against a Spanish defense it had barely troubled all game. Or Iran could sit back, avoid the goal differential killer of a blowout, maybe fluke their way into a goal, and hope for fortune on the final day of group stage play.

Queiroz made the brave choice, and the final half-hour of the game was an open, back-and-forth affair. Spain had plenty of opportunities for a second — at one point Costa and Gerard Pique repeatedly kicked a ball on the Iranian goal line, but were foiled by two Iranian defenders who all but fell on top of the ball — but were unable to convert.

For a brief moment, as Kazan Arena erupted all around them, it seemed that Iran had scored. An Iranian free kick was headed off Saeid Ezatolahi, who corralled the loose ball and dispatched it into the back of the net. But after a review by the video assistant referee, it was confirmed that Ezatolahi was offside.

Another near equalizer would have been one of the goals of the tournament. Skipping along parallel to the touchline, Vahid Amiri nutmegged Pique before floating a perfect cross toward the back post. Mehdi Taremi flew in and thumped the ball with his head, but it went over.

After two matches, it’s hard to know what to think of either team. Iran has a stout defense, but the attack that had looked moribund against Morocco was dangerous when they finally went forward against Spain. Meanwhile, Spain would’ve soundly beaten Portugal if it weren’t for Ronaldo’s heroics, yet the Spaniards struggled to break down Iran.

Then again, that is how it has been for Spain since they won the European Championship in 2008. All but the strongest teams are afraid to commit attackers forward against them, and so Spanish matches are an exercise in waiting for them to unlock a defense.

On Wednesday night it wasn’t tiki-taka, brilliant interplay or a satisfying one-two that won it for Spain — though at times all of those were on display — but Diego Costa’s knee and a lucky bounce. Sometimes that’s what you need.
                      زن زندگی آزادی

Comment

Go figure they bring a spanish speaking ref out of thousands of options they had, that is self explanatory

The world is against us, if Iceland plays defensive football they are brilliant, when we do it, we are cheats

We have always been victims of global resentment since the ancient times, lets just get over it and live stronger

Guys dont be broken hearted, there is one more game we should not give up, we need to pump up the team, remember we were in a similar situation 4 years ago and we needed a win but we couldn’t do it because we left the game from Argentina with a broken back

LETS CHANGE OUR MOOD NOW!!!
                        WE STILL CAN QUALIFY TO SECOND ROUND!!
                        REMIND THAT TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS, SPREAD THE WORD

BE POSITIVE!!!
                        چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد

Comment

The WC is shown between two stations here in the UK. BBC and ITV. long story short ITV are known for their shitty commentary team and constant fucks ups and they were the ones with the rights to our game.

For the highlights on BBC, they were nothing but praise.

Comment

The only way to make them shut up is to beat Portugal on Monday.

Comment

Check what Del Piero said on Twitter about Iran today

Comment

Working...
                              X