Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Should Jalal Hosseini be re-invited to Team Melli for the World Cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: Should Jalal Hosseini be re-invited to Team Melli for the World Cup?

A simple question. Should Jalal Hosseini come back to TM before the list is finalised, at the expense of a current player?
    ------------------------------

I am a huge fan of CQ, but this is the decision I have most disagreed with so far, even more than cutting Vouria who I believe is more consistent than Ramin. Despite his age, Jalal still remains an experienced defender who instills confidence in the rest of the team, and is a calming influence. More than anything, centre backs at world cup seem to come into their own when they are in this age bracket, sometimes playing the performances of their lives. Imagine Jalal channeling the performance of Paul McGrath against Italy - a one man shut-out from an ageing centre back, possibly the best world cup performance I've ever seen: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5qukad

Mods, I hope you allow this thread as it would be very interesting to gauge sentiment on PFDC. We have also seen how strong fan opinions have affected players coming back to TM in previous decades (Daei in the 90s being the most prominent example).
    Yes, he should be in the squad for Russia
    0%
    No, he should not be in the squad for Russia
    0%

36 years old vs the likes of Ronaldo, Isco and Ascensio : NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Comment

Originally posted by scuderia View Post
      Because our defenders did much against Turkey without him

Comment

Our alternatives are worse. I'd take a 36 year old Hosseini over Cheshmi any day of the week.

With that being said, maybe Majid Hosseini could be a good option.
        Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Comment

36 year old is not an issue for centre-backs like it is for full-backs, midfielders or forwards.

McGrath at 35 was slow but his confidence and experience meant that his decisions against a pacy and devastating Baggio and Signori attack were spot on.

Even Iranian defenders have played better at older ages in world cups - Mohammadkhani was a beast in 1998 at (just short of) 35. The world cups make these oldie centre backs go into super saiyan mode.

Beyond mohammadkhani, golmohammadi, bakhtiarizadeh and others for TM, we also have so many other players who became better and better when reaching this age bracket at world cups: Couto, Baresi, Passarella, Ayala, Puyol, Zanetti, Hierro, Beckenbauer....

Comment

Originally posted by RaginG Inferno View Post
            Our alternatives are worse. I'd take a 36 year old Cheshmi over Cheshmi any day of the week.

Oh god...a 36 year old Chesmi would be horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyeKingu View Post
              Oh god...a 36 year old Chesmi would be horrible.
              LOL, edited!
              Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Comment

Originally posted by RaginG Inferno View Post
                Our alternatives are worse. I'd take a 36 year old Hosseini over Cheshmi any day of the week.

Did you mean to say 36 year old Jalal?
                Horrifying to imagine a 36 year old Cheshmi going up against Ronaldo
                Twitter and Instagram: @aryo__hadi

ZendebadIran!

Comment

Originally posted by persiangooner View Post
                  Did you mean to say 36 year old Jalal?
                  Horrifying to imagine a 36 year old Cheshmi going up against Ronaldo
                  Hahaha yes, edited!

Comment

Jalal Hosseini will be the defender and tower in our box, when we will be pushed back by spain and portugal. it will be like handball match, specially vs. spain, therefore you do not need the highest speed as defender, but a good 1vs1 in our box. therefore Hosseini is our best defender. Also he is useful in standard situations and can score for us. yes cheshmi scored also a header vs. uzbekistan lately, but he miss the quality Hosseini has (Leadership, experience, fighting and defending in the box, organisation).
                    World Cup 2006, Frankfurt, Iran vs. Portugal, Iranian Frontpage of GOAL Sportspaper
                    sigpic

And on the 8.Day God created Ali Karimi, and he saw he was good!
                    If Defenders were allowed to use their hands to stop Karimi
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by DR Strangemoosh View Post
                      36 year old is not an issue for centre-backs like it is for full-backs, midfielders or forwards.

McGrath at 35 was slow but his confidence and experience meant that his decisions against a pacy and devastating Baggio and Signori attack were spot on.

Even Iranian defenders have played better at older ages in world cups - Mohammadkhani was a beast in 1998 at (just short of) 35. The world cups make these oldie centre backs go into super saiyan mode.

Beyond mohammadkhani, golmohammadi, bakhtiarizadeh and others for TM, we also have so many other players who became better and better when reaching this age bracket at world cups: Couto, Baresi, Passarella, Ayala, Puyol, Zanetti, Hierro, Beckenbauer....
                      Also Amir Hossein Sadeghi and Panucci, i believe Seyed Jalal should be in our list, at least as reserve.

Comment

I think we should just let go of this issue! Now is not the time to create hashiyeh! The decision is made!

Comment

Not needed, just put Majid Hosseini instead of Cheshmi

Comment

Originally posted by irani8perspolis View Post
                            Not needed, just put Majid Hosseini instead of Cheshmi
                            For him to start we need that damn Greece friendly else Cheshmi will start vs Morocco.

Comment

I like Hosseini a lot, but I remember someone showing how he was phased out the last year in our competitive matches and I'd like to think CQ had a reason for that. At the same time, their isn't a better partner for PAG at this time and with our next friendlies in doubt I would rather not blindly put someone new on

Comment

Working...
                              X