A coach is a title.
    A doctor is a title.
    A pilot is a title.

CQ is a better coach then I am.
    A doctor is a better doctor then I am.
    A pilot is a better pilot then I am.

But what do they have all in common?
    They are human.

Some of the best coaches have made some of their biggest mistakes.
    Some of the best doctors have made some of their biggest mistakes.
    Some of the best pilots have made some of their biggest mistakes (some leading to tragic plane crash and death of hundreds)

Just because one is a coach, does not mean he cannot make mistakes.

Originally posted by Iran Doost View Post
    Any coaches here? Those of us who have coached teams extensively know that a Coach who spends a lot of time with the players during practices, scrimmages, and games gets to know his or her players much better than a spectator even if that spectator is a coach himself or herself. This is because the coach of the team gets to observe his players a lot more (on the order of 15 times or even more) than a spectator who just watches the games. This is not to say coaches don't make mistakes, but just saying that you have to put a lot of weight to the amount of time a coach gets to observe his players than us who just see them during the games. Both Mr. Hosseini and Ghafoori were in a number of camps with Mr. CQ, and he got to observe them for a long time.

As for these specific players: Mr. Hosseini was never a fast player, and due to his age he is even slower. Fact of life, and a big minus in the eyes of any coach. And about Mr. Ghafoori: he basically hurt himself tremendously in the last game by failing to control the ball and keep it to himself twice in a row. Granted the second time he sprinted and barely saved the ball from being intercepted. But no one was close to him, and the game was in Iran in front of our own fans. Coach sees that and thinks, ok both situations could have been disastrous because we were attacking and those balls could have resulted into counter attacks and goals. The stage will be the World Cup not a friendly game, most fans will be booing us, not screaming "Iran Iran" (for the most part), and the intercepting player is Jordi Alba from Spain not a youngster from a third rated U23 team. If you can't have the confidence in a simple friendly game and lose balls like that, then you may probably totally mess up in a world cup game.

Mr. CQ said he doesn't want to criticize a player directly, that's probably why he is coming up with less important reasons for not choosing these players.

Comment

Originally posted by Iran Doost View Post
      Mr. CQ said he doesn't want to criticize a player directly, that's probably why he is coming up with less important reasons for not choosing these players.
      Bingo.
      Being crossed off is crushing enough for the player, but some expect CQ to hold a news conference and say, "Hosseini is a great guy but at 36 he's slower and in no shape to take on Ronaldo after 2 games against Morocco and Spain. And let's face it, even in his prime he couldn't distribute the ball"!

Of course he can't say the exact reasons! He has to say something vague and mostly complimentary. That's pretty much what any decent coach would do in this situation.

Comment

I disagree with CQ on this point.

Jalal may be slow. However, he has superb positioning and decision-making. Even if he's not appropriate for CQ's chosen formation/tactics, I just can't see how he wouldn't be invaluable if we're trying to defend a lead with 15 minutes to go against Portugal - he'd be an ideal addition to a packed defence.
        Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedram123 View Post
          A coach is a title.
          A doctor is a title.
          A pilot is a title.

CQ is a better coach then I am.
          A doctor is a better doctor then I am.
          A pilot is a better pilot then I am.

But what do they have all in common?
          They are human.

Some of the best coaches have made some of their biggest mistakes.
          Some of the best doctors have made some of their biggest mistakes.
          Some of the best pilots have made some of their biggest mistakes (some leading to tragic plane crash and death of hundreds)

Just because one is a coach, does not mean he cannot make mistakes.
          Of course, what is to say taking SJH to the WC is not a mistake? Has anyone seen the future? For example, if CQ had decided to drop Pouladi before the Asia Cup we would have all gone up in arms, saying you are dropping the best defender. But what was the result of Pouladi being there, we potentially lost the QF due to his red card. So which one was the mistake, taking him or dropping him. In that case, I think taking him was a mistake.

We are talking of a football game, talking of a judgement call based on no particular science (unlike being a doctor or pilot) how much more judgemental can it get? Although I might not agree with every decision that CQ makes, i think it is better to let the professional who has show us over and over again that he will make the tough call make the call that is not based on high emotions but rational thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by RaginG Inferno View Post
            I disagree with CQ on this point.

Jalal may be slow. However, he has superb positioning and decision-making. Even if he's not appropriate for CQ's chosen formation/tactics, I just can't see how he wouldn't be invaluable if we're trying to defend a lead with 15 minutes to go against Portugal - he'd be an ideal addition to a packed defence.
            When Jalal made that off the goal clearance I though he was definitely 2000000000000000000000000% going to be on the team, I just hope his decision doesn't come back and bite us. We will see on Monday.

Comment

I raise statements with facts not necessarily to contemplate what decision is correct or incorrect.
              I do have a problem however, if Hosseini was not aware that he would not be included in the WQ roster - Now that to me is a mistake (Read carefully i am not talking about the decision for him not to be selected)
              And Furthermore if Hosseini was not to participate in the world cup why did he play so many games for us in the WCQ? OK we use him for most of our qualifying games but then when it comes to the world cup we will not use him? I do not see the logic.
              In my eyes the transition to replace him with another CB has not been smooth - Now i am not pointing fingers and saying that this is merely CQ's fault, but the probability, is that several different events led to this unfortunate incident, and yes, be sure that CQ had a hand in this mistake as well - Even if he only had a small hand to play in it.

Originally posted by Omids View Post
              Of course, what is to say taking SJH to the WC is not a mistake? Has anyone seen the future? For example, if CQ had decided to drop Pouladi before the Asia Cup we would have all gone up in arms, saying you are dropping the best defender. But what was the result of Pouladi being there, we potentially lost the QF due to his red card. So which one was the mistake, taking him or dropping him. In that case, I think taking him was a mistake.
              We are talking of a football game, talking of a judgement call based on no particular science (unlike being a doctor or pilot) how much more judgemental can it get? Although I might not agree with every decision that CQ makes, i think it is better to let the professional who has show us over and over again that he will make the tough call make the call that is not based on high emotions but rational thinking.

Comment

I raise statements with facts not necessarily to contemplate what decision is correct or incorrect.
                I do have a problem however, if Hosseini was not aware that he would not be included in the WQ roster - Now that to me is a mistake (Read carefully i am not talking about the decision for him not to be selected)
                And Furthermore if Hosseini was not to participate in the world cup why did he play so many games for us in the WCQ? OK we use him for most of our qualifying games but then when it comes to the world cup we will not use him? I do not see the logic.
                In my eyes the transition to replace him with another CB has not been smooth - Now i am not pointing fingers and saying that this is merely CQ's fault, but the probability, is that several different events led to this unfortunate incident, and yes, be sure that CQ had a hand in this mistake as well - Even if he only had a small hand to play in it.
                Hosseini only played in the qualifiers because Montazeri was injured. Otherwise, the first choice pairing was Montazeri and PAG. Also, the World Cup Qualifiers are not a place to experiment and test new players- friendlies are. You play your most proven players to ensure qualification. As soon as we qualified mathematically, Hosseini was out and the other defenders were tested. Ando played some games in the WC qualifiers too but he is nowhere near the team. Same way Rahman Ahmadi became the first choice goalie for the qualifiers but then Haghighi took his place. CQ probably wanted Haghighi to be goalie all along but couldn't afford to experiment with him in those crucial last 3 qualifiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Saam View Post
                  Hosseini only played in the qualifiers because Montazeri was injured. Otherwise, the first choice pairing was Montazeri and PAG. Also, the World Cup Qualifiers are not a place to experiment and test new players- friendlies are. You play your most proven players to ensure qualification. As soon as we qualified mathematically, Hosseini was out and the other defenders were tested. Ando played some games in the WC qualifiers too but he is nowhere near the team. Same way Rahman Ahmadi became the first choice goalie for the qualifiers but then Haghighi took his place. CQ probably wanted Haghighi to be goalie all along but couldn't afford to experiment with him in those crucial last 3 qualifiers.
                  For a country like Iran WCQ is important preperation for the world cup.
                  Everyone has their own opinion/s.
                  Your mentality is to play it safe (correct me if i am wrong) and you also believe that experimenting with another CB excluding Hosseini, could have made us lose points and get worse results - Again correct me If i am wrong this is the impression that i get from your words.

However facts are facts.
                  We do know that CQ is not a risk taker in footballing terms - And no this does not just apply to the Iran job, but his previous coaching jobs as well - criticized by both Portugese and Madrid fans, except for his stint as assistant trainer for Ferguson.
                  Perhaps CQ strengths lies in preperation and behind the scene planning where he trully succeeds, rather then the main head coach. Having said, for Iranian standards he is the best we got in that aspect - But internationally, i do not believe this is the case.

Comment

For a country like Iran WCQ is important preperation for the world cup.
                    Everyone has their own opinion/s.
                    Your mentality is to play it safe (correct me if i am wrong) and you also believe that experimenting with another CB excluding Hosseini, could have made us lose points and get worse results - Again correct me If i am wrong this is the impression that i get from your words.
                    However facts are facts.
                    We do know that CQ is not a risk taker in footballing terms - And no this does not just apply to the Iran job, but his previous coaching jobs as well - criticized by both Portugese and Madrid fans, except for his stint as assistant trainer for Ferguson.
                    Perhaps CQ strengths lies in preperation and behind the scene planning where he trully succeeds, rather then the main head coach. Having said, for Iranian standards he is the best we got in that aspect - But internationally, i do not believe this is the case.
                    Dropping regulars to give others a chance, and not using experienced guys as back-up and instead using youth, is very risky, but admirable and potentially very rewarding.

The safe option would've been to call up previously established names like Hosseini, Ghafouri, Haghighi etc. even as backup, as well as popular players like Rezaei.

Real should be risk-takers to break down defences. Iran shouldn't be risk-takers, they're the ones that need to be solid and smart. And despite what Portuguese fans say, he did well in all his stints with Portugal. Won the youth version of the World Cup both times with Portugal U-20s, was a late Dino Baggio goal away from getting Portugal to only their third ever World Cup for USA 1994, and in his second stint they reached the 2nd round, knocked out by eventual champions Spain.

Comment

A risk which has been taken by more then a few head coaches, especially if they are considering to exclude the experienced player in future important games.

Originally posted by OzzyOscy;2550617[B
                      ]Dropping regulars to give others a chance, and not using experienced guys as back-up and instead using youth, is very risky[/B], but admirable and potentially very rewarding.

The safe option would've been to call up previously established names like Hosseini, Ghafouri, Haghighi etc. even as backup, as well as popular players like Rezaei.

Comment

A risk which has been taken by more then a few head coaches, especially if they are considering to exclude the experienced player in future important games.
                        If more than 1 person in the world decides to stand outside holding a metal umbrella during a thunderstorm, that doesn't mean they're less likely to get hit, and then be told "well you picked the safe option".

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyOscy View Post
                          If more than 1 person in the world decides to stand outside holding a metal umbrella during a thunderstorm, that doesn't mean they're less likely to get hit, and then be told "well you picked the safe option".
                          Sorry but i do not understand your analogy, please elaborate.

Comment

Sorry but i do not understand your analogy, please elaborate.
                            You were saying he's not a risk-taker, but his decision to leave out several experienced regulars and popular names entirely is risky. You then said the risk was taken by other coaches, so you seem to be saying that it isn't a risk because a few others have done the same.

In a thunderstorm, holding a bit of metal, your chances of getting hurt doesn't lessen if some other people do it too. And certainly if you told anyone you did that, the response would be that you took a big risk!

Comment

For your first part we have to clarify the reason that CQ left these experienced regulars out. Was it because of footballing reasons? Or because of other reasons? What was his motive to do so? To install professionalism or to play better football? I simply ask questions - You may answer them if you wish to do so.
                              Now for your second part, with respect, you did not read my post well enough. I will repeat myself so perhaps you will read it better this time - “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” —Stephen R. Covey
                              I said that more than a few coaches have taken the risk that we talked about - Not that the risk, was not a risk.

Originally posted by OzzyOscy View Post
                              You were saying he's not a risk-taker, but his decision to leave out several experienced regulars and popular names entirely is risky. You then said the risk was taken by other coaches, so you seem to be saying that it isn't a risk because a few others have done the same.
                              In a thunderstorm, holding a bit of metal, your chances of getting hurt doesn't lessen if some other people do it too. And certainly if you told anyone you did that, the response would be that you took a big risk!

Comment

Some of the comments are nothing but BS. The coach has taken us to 2 different world cups and we still know better than him.
                                This is how the revolution happend ... bunch of imbeciles thought they knew better

We don’t deserve this coach and yes we are 50 years behind Europe. Our national stadium is some 50 years old for FFS.

Sydney Olympic stadium is going under major renovations after it held the 2000 Olympics. The city I live in has better grounds for amature players than clubs in Iran.

Put your pride aside and be realistic ... panther out

Comment

Working...
                                X