Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we keep CQ if we end up with 0 or 1 point in next WC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ando Teymourian View Post
    So a quick search I did comes up with this definition:

A group of death in a multi-stage tournament is a group which is unusually competitive, because the number of strong competitors in the group is greater than the number of qualifying places available for the next phase of the tournament.

Do you think with the way groups are currently built with the seeding system would ever allow for a group of death using your definition?
    As inarsenewetrust has explained "With the current seeding system, it is impossible to have a group of death, because any two teams from pot 3 and 4 are inferior to portugal/spain." In general it's very unlikely due to the amount of countries from Africa, Asia and CONCACAF but still possible. The last time I recall a group of death in the World Cup was 2002 with Argentina, England, Sweden and Nigeria all having a reasonable chance of advancing and no clear favorites. As inarsenewetrust pointed out our group had two strong competitors which was not greater than the number of qualifying places available for the next phase of the tournament and thus in inarsenwetrusts's opinion it was not a group of death.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
      As inarsenewetrust has explained "With the current seeding system, it is impossible to have a group of death, because any two teams from pot 3 and 4 are inferior to portugal/spain." In general it's very unlikely due to the amount of countries from Africa, Asia and CONCACAF but still possible. The last time I recall a group of death in the World Cup was 2002 with Argentina, England, Sweden and Nigeria all having a reasonable chance of advancing and no clear favorites. As inarsenewetrust pointed out our group had two strong competitors which was not greater than the number of qualifying places available for the next phase of the tournament and thus in inarsenwetrusts's opinion it was not a group of death.
      looks like the racist troll engaged regardless. Oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
        So what do you think of the definition of group of death that I found and seems to be the more commonly used one currently?

Because under your definition a group of death is arguably impossible and I could even go as far as saying there is no such thing as something called a group of death in football.

Using your definition, we are discussing something that cannot exist?

Comment

Former World Champions
          Current European Champions
          The Dark Horse
          The best team in Asia and one of the best defenses in the world

definitely not the group of death

and we were inches away from advancing a non group of death

but Russia, Saudi, Egypt, Uruguay was the group of death
          SHOW TIME!

Comment

Originally posted by Ando Teymourian View Post
            So what do you think of the definition of group of death that I found and seems to be the more commonly used one currently?
            Because under your definition a group of death is arguably impossible and I could even go as far as saying there is no such thing as something called a group of death in football.
            using your definition, we are discussing something that cannot exist?
            I agreed with your definition and your definition was precisely what I used. The group had two favorites. Two teams could advance from the group. The number of teams that could advance did not exceed the number of strong teams. Thus it wasn't a group of death.
            As I and inarsenwetrust said these days it's almost impossible to get one with all the weak teams allowed into the World Cup. Examples of groups of death are Brazil, England, Romania, Czechoslovakia (1970) or Argentina, Italy, France, Hungary (1978) or Germany, Uruguay, Denmark, Scotland (1986). Not a group containing Iran and Morocco.
            I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam van Dam View Post
              Former World Champions
              Current European Champions
              The Dark Horse
              The best team in Asia and one of the best defenses in the world
              definitely not the group of death
              and we were inches away from advancing a non group of death
              but Russia, Saudi, Egypt, Uruguay was the group of death
              That one wasn't either. This World Cup didn't have one as no group was close enough for all teams to have a reasonable chance to qualify. In our group the clear favorites were Spain and Portugal. In the other group Uruguay was the clear favorite. Also as discussed above Morocco wasn't the dark horse. Russia, Belgium and Croatia were.

Comment

Working...
              X