Spain, Portugal, Morocco past WC results vs Asian teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spain, Portugal, Morocco past WC results vs Asian teams

Let's look at the past results of our Group B teams in encounters with Asian teams, encounters with one another, encounters of Iberian Giants with North African teams in the past world cups and confederations cup.

Morocco
    vs Saudi Arabia, 2-1 LOSS (94WC)

Portugal
    vs North Korea, 5-3 WIN (66WC), 7-0 WIN (10WC).
    vs South Korea, 1-0 LOSS (02WC)
    vs Iran, 2-0 WIN (06WC)

vs Morocco, 3-1 LOSS (86WC)
    vs Spain, 1-0 LOSS (10WC)

Spain
    vs Australia 3-0 WIN (14WC)
    vs Saudi Arabia, 1-0 WIN (06WC)
    vs South Korea, 3-1 WIN (90WC), 2-2 DRAW (94WC), 0-0 DRAW lost in penalties (02WC)

vs Iraq 1-0 WIN (2009 Confed Cup)

versus North Africans
    vs Algeria 3-0 WIN (86WC)
    vs Tunisia 3-1 WIN (06WC)

So which opponent we have a chance against?

I believe Portugal is one opponent who will win against us, Team Melli has failed to score against Portugal in past meetings in friendlies and world cup. In fact the only European team that we managed to score a goal against in World Cup was Scotland and Bosnia, failed against Netherlands, Yugoslavia, Germany and Portugal.

Spain had struggled against Asian teams, drawing and winning narrowly with only exception of their hammering of Australia in the last world cup. We have a good chance to put up a solid performance against Spain.

Morroco's only meeting with Asian teams was a 2-1 loss to Saudi Arabia.

Best scenario for us is to draw Spain, win Morocco and with Portugal loss with minimum goals conceded, hope for Portugal to win Spain and hammer Morocco, and hopefully Morocco drawing Spain. Let's be positive folks

[QUOTE=rooyintan;2507264 Team Melli has failed to score against Portugal in past meetings in friendlies and world cup. In fact the only European team that we managed to score a goal against in World Cup was Scotland and Bosnia, failed against Netherlands, Yugoslavia, Germany and Portugal.
    [/QUOTE]

you make it sound like we had a lot of opportunity and failed each time. We scored in2 out of 6 games. We were outclassed in a couple and unlucky in a couple of other ones.

We are definitely not in class of Portugal or Spain, but I wouldn't be surprised if we scored against one or both of these teams. Morocco has more legionnaires, but I think our coach knows our players well, as matter of fact I think we have one of the top five coaches in the tournament. He has been with our team over six years, and these guys will sacrifice themselves for Iran and CQ.

And do not ever underestimate the gheyrat factor.

As coach said they will play their hearts out and if they loose they will do so in honor.

Comment

Originally posted by rdwrrr View Post
      you make it sound like we had a lot of opportunity and failed each time. We scored in2 out of 6 games. We were outclassed in a couple and unlucky in a couple of other ones.

We are definitely not in class of Portugal or Spain, but I wouldn't be surprised if we scored against one or both of these teams. Morocco has more legionnaires, but I think our coach knows our players well, as matter of fact I think we have one of the top five coaches in the tournament. He has been with our team over six years, and these guys will sacrifice themselves for Iran and CQ.

And do not ever underestimate the gheyrat factor.

As coach said they will play their hearts out and if they loose they will do so in honor.
      Team Melli has been one of the worst Goal Scoring teams from Asia! Korea, Japan, Australia and Saudi Arabia have all scored more than us in world cups. They scored against European teams, our team versus European teams can't create opportunities!!!! Apart from our 78 team who were running up and creating chances, our 98, 06 and 14 were simply outclassed versus Europeans. 98 team did create some chances versus Yugoslavia but the other games stats were just proof of European teams' attacking all the time and our team just defending. This time we need our team to focus on defence but also have Gheyrat and attack not sit back.

Comment

I think if we win against Morocco, CQ will go on a lock down. He will play a 11-0-0 formation.
        I we loose or draw, and he thinks there is no hope for advancement, he might open up a little and let the boys play and have fun

Comment

Originally posted by rooyintan View Post
          Team Melli has been one of the worst Goal Scoring teams from Asia! Korea, Japan, Australia and Saudi Arabia have all scored more than us in world cups. They scored against European teams, our team versus European teams can't create opportunities!!!! Apart from our 78 team who were running up and creating chances, our 98, 06 and 14 were simply outclassed versus Europeans. 98 team did create some chances versus Yugoslavia but the other games stats were just proof of European teams' attacking all the time and our team just defending. This time we need our team to focus on defence but also have Gheyrat and attack not sit back.
          The number of goals scored is not an indicator of success,

signed,

8-0er
          “It is easier to fool the people, than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain

Comment

When I saw Carlos smiling and displaying a lot of confidence it made me happy because he has confidence and trusts in his players. He knows this Iran is miles ahead of Iran in 2014.

It also made me think that Carlos may have a trick up his sleave at the World Cup. And I’m specifically thinking about the match vs Portugal. Knowing his past and how he was treated by FPF (going back to his taxes and etc.). His motivation might be high to really push our boys to give their best in this particular match. Which would be selfish in a small way but at the same time it will be good. But I’m just assuming. Either way I’m optimistic.

Comment

Past results dont mean what most people think they do .

The 2006 Portugal was better that the one they have now. They dont have the Figo, Deco, Carvalho types in their squad.

They have some very talented youth but with enough planning CQ can exploit their inexperience or out tactic Portugals coach etc

Comment

their past results are irrelevant.

no team stays the same in a space of 4 years

Comment

^ Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post

The 2006 Portugal was better that the one they have now. They dont have the Figo, Deco, Carvalho types in their squad.

They have some very talented youth but with enough planning CQ can exploit their inexperience or out tactic Portugals coach etc
                    My thoughts too.

Another thing is that he seems to have connections with the Portuguese football league. From the club owners to the coaches and players, all the way to the ball boys and janitors of the stadiums. Remember, although Carlos is not liked by the Portuguese football fans, he has been a part of their football for decades. So any information will benefit Team Melli. I’m willing to bet he will pull all the resources and get everything he can from this Portugal team.

Portugal is the mother land and he wants Portugal to succeed. But at the end of the day he’s also looking after his own ass too (as we all are). Carlos will want to enhance Iran’s World Cup Record and succeed with Team Melli, which in return will have clubs and national football teams come knocking. Who knows, maybe even Portugal (depending on how they’ll do this summer of course).

In Carlos I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by OFFSIDE_1 View Post
                      The number of goals scored is not an indicator of success,

signed,

8-0er
                      Yes, also keep in mind all 4, ie South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia and Australia have reached the knock out stages once or more and we still haven't!
                      The World of Football consider South Korea, Japan and Australia worthy opponents to play friendlies or invite them for tournaments and no one wants our team!

Our team scores 7 goals in 4 world cup appearances, then you have Australia scoring 5 goals in 2006 WC and reaching Round of 16 or Saudi Arabia in 1994 WC scoring 5 as well and eliminated at round of 16!

Our teams talk big and don't deliver! Remember 2006 WC lost to Mexico 3-1 or in 2014 lost to Bosnia with the same score, everyone talking big we gonna defeat these teams, how about Angola in 2006 our team could not even win that match. Our team always runs out of fuel after the second match. It does not matter who the coach is, our teams so far have not delivered any decent results apart from 2-1 win over USA in 1998, 1-1 with Scotland in 1978, 0-0 with Nigeria in 2014. Narrow losses to Argentina and Yugoslavia in 2014 and 1998 are also good results despite the 0 points for those matches.

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post

True past results do not matter but we can see a sort of pattern with certain teams, for instance Spain throughout the years have struggled against South Korea apart from the game in 1990, this means they can't cope well with fast speedy teams, also they have struggled against Arab teams only narrowly defeating them.

Portugal on the other hand mostly won over Asian teams smoothly. So despite the current youth talent in Portugal, I predict that Portugal will be the toughest game for our team.

Comment

We really have a chance of winning the game against Portugal.

Offtopic: Portugal did in 2010: https://youtu.be/Xs8IPXCemlA But we will play much better and I even think we can win against Portugal or draw becuase the EURO 2016 was not very good from Portugal. In that time North Korea had not to be in the World Cup! they even cannot play football.

Comment

Morroco beat Portugal in the 86 World Cup and went to the round of 16 as first in their group that year:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWM5kY4W95s
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_F...ld_Cup#Group_F

Comment

Working...
                            X