No announcement yet.

We already know who 1 of our opponents will be in the world cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we are in pot 3 and the rest of Asian teams are in pot 4 how is it guaranteed that we will not be grouped with any of them?
    Team Meli Iran
    Perspolis FC
    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Originally posted by Ghermez Agha View Post
      If we are in pot 3 and the rest of Asian teams are in pot 4 how is it guaranteed that we will not be grouped with any of them?
      How I imagine it will work is that they will draw the first pot. Then in the second pot, if they draw a South American team with a South American team, they will have that team go into the next available Group that has a European team. For example, Imagine the groups A through C look like this up top:

Russia - Brazil - Germany

Let's say Russia draws England in the A2 position. That is okay, because 2 European teams can be drawn in the same group. Next, let's say Columbia is drawn in B2 with Brazil. That is not okay, since 2 South American teams cannot be in the same group. What happen then is that Columbia is moved over to C2, in Germany's group. Then the next drawn team, let's say Spain, would go into B2 making the draw look like this

England - Spain - Columbia

So, when Iran is drawn, they will ensure that no Asian team is drawn with us. Let's say Iran is 3rd seed in group A, and Egypt is 3rd seed in group B. This is how it would work if Australia were drawn with Iran:

Russia - Brazil
      England - Spain
      Iran - Egypt
      ---------Australia
      Morocco

Essentially, Australia would be placed into Group B, and the draw would continue until a non-Asian opponent is drawn for Iran, in my above example, Morocco. They have done these types of draws before where certain teams cannot be grouped together and it worked fine. Kind of confusing, but I think it works better this way, especially for Iran.

Comment

Originally posted by Afat11 View Post
        How I imagine it will work is that they will draw the first pot. Then in the second pot, if they draw a South American team with a South American team, they will have that team go into the next available Group that has a European team. For example, Imagine the groups A through C look like this up top:

Let's say Russia draws England in the A2 position. That is okay, because 2 European teams can be drawn in the same group. Next, let's say Columbia is drawn in B2 with Brazil. That is not okay, since 2 South American teams cannot be in the same group. What happen then is that Columbia is moved over to C2, in Germany's group. Then the next drawn team, let's say Spain, would go into B2 making the draw look like this

England - Spain - Columbia

So, when Iran is drawn, they will ensure that no Asian team is drawn with us. Let's say Iran is 3rd seed in group A, and Egypt is 3rd seed in group B. This is how it would work if Australia were drawn with Iran:

Russia - Brazil
        England - Spain
        Iran - Egypt
        ---------Australia
        Morocco

Essentially, Australia would be placed into Group B, and the draw would continue until a non-Asian opponent is drawn for Iran, in my above example, Morocco. They have done these types of draws before where certain teams cannot be grouped together and it worked fine. Kind of confusing, but I think it works better this way, especially for Iran.
        Thanks....now can someone translate afat's response for me plz?
        Team Meli Iran
        Perspolis FC
        Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Thanks....now can someone translate afat's response for me plz?
          If drawn with another Asian team, they move to the next group after us. They draw until we have a non-Asian team in our group. Seriously bro, it wasn't THAT complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Afat11 View Post
            If drawn with another Asian team, they move to the next group after us. They draw until we have a non-Asian team in our group. Seriously bro, it wasn't THAT complicated.
            Baba chera as aval hamino nagofti?! thanks
            Team Meli Iran
            Perspolis FC
            Malavan Bandar Anzali

Comment

Baba chera as aval hamino nagofti?! thanks
              I thought I'd explain how the whole draw works in case some were wondering. Simply, no teams from the same confederation (except for Europe) can be drawn in the same group. So I wanted people to understand how it will work for the other confederations as well. This model was used previously in other tournament draws.

Comment

I would like us to be in the same group with saudies and beat the hell out of them...

Comment

Originally posted by Bijan2017 View Post
                  I would like us to be in the same group with saudies and beat the hell out of them...
                  Well we can't because two Asian teams can't be in the same group.

Comment

Originally posted by Kian B. View Post
                    Well we can't because two Asian teams can't be in the same group.
                    What if they draw Saudi Arabia in Iran's group? I mean they are in a different pot. Do they skip over to the following group? I think they did something similar in the last World Cup draw.

Comment

Originally posted by teammelli1 View Post
                      What if they draw Saudi Arabia in Iran's group? I mean they are in a different pot. Do they skip over to the following group? I think they did something similar in the last World Cup draw.
                      Saudi would go to the next group.

Comment

Originally posted by perspolis#1 View Post
                        Saudi would go to the next group.
                        Gotcha, thanks.

Comment

French journalists/newspaper just put Iran in their easy group. Too bad fkkin useless Bulgaria gave their a$$ to them and won against Sweden

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post
                            French journalists/newspaper just put Iran in their easy group. Too bad fkkin useless Bulgaria gave their a$$ to them and won against Sweden
                            It is understandable (from their perspective) when comparing Iran to other teams in pot 3.

If Iran was in pot 4, they would not be the easiest option.

Comment

Let's not fool ourselves. We are the underdogs and shouldn't be surprised if others want us in their group.
                              I'd rather everyone underestimated us.

Comment

"Formerly known as AliDaeiClone"

Comment

Working...
                                X