No announcement yet.

The Official "COME ON CONGO" Thread - Fight for Pot 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We should not underestimate ANY team at this stage. No one qualifies by luck.

At the same time, some teams should not be overestimated. I've read Serbia's name very often in the last few pages. As Serbia was playing in the same group as Austria and Ireland (I'm currently living in both Vienna and Dublin), I watched some of their games live and all I can say is that Serbia is a bit overrated. Croatia is much stronger and also 2014's Bosnia was definitely stronger than today's Serbia. Their games against Austria (especially the one last week where they could have qualified with a win against already eliminated Austria who played it's almost B-side) were not convincing at all. Austria won that game last week BTW.

IMO, we play decent against South-East-European teams. We showed that a few times in the last years against Montenegro, Bosnia (except 2014), Croatia (before 2006), Macedonia and Albania. I would rather like to play Serbia over Nigeria or Morocco.

Comment

I was actually starting to hope for Iran to be in pot 4.

There are some deadly teams in pot 4... I am speaking of the African teams. Especially Nigeria.

Let's hope we get Panama/Honduras

Comment

I think this is certainly interesting, but in the end Pot 3 or 4 doesn't matter that much. Everyone will bring their A game and best players. Each game will be difficult.
        Remember last time we thought Bosnia would be our easiest game? Yet they ended up challenging us the most.

Comment

It's a very interesting mentality of most forum members here, you guys seem to fear physical dominance a lot more than actually football game intelligence. That's the reason US/England will never be good, but Spain/Germany/Brazil dominate international football. They have smarter players.

Last WC: Nigeria was undoubtedly physically fitter and stronger than our players, but Bosnia had a few players with extreme game intelligence in midfield, even if he was 5'7 at best. We struggled much more agains the latter, compared to the former.

For all the fear of African teams, they seem to be the only teams we get points from.....whereas we consistently lose to European sides in WC.

Much rather have Nigeria in our group, as opposed to Denmark. I trust TM a lot more trying to combat Iwobi's pace or Ndidi's physicality, than trying to figure out Erikson

Comment

Possible scenario at the World Cup:

Iran plays attacking football against the World Class opponent of the group. Azmoun scores. Iran parks the bus. They attack like Argentina did in 2014 but we win 1-0.

Then Iran goes on to face a Panama/or a Honduras team that so many people think are easier to defeat. We play them and we lose 3-1. Iran played a good match.

The last match is a do or die against a top European team. We score first az we did vs the World Class team and are ahead 1-0. We park the bus and towards the end we concede a goal. The match ends 1-1 but we are eliminated in the group stage with 4 points.

The whole world saw what we are capable of in the match vs Argentina. That was 4 years ago. A lot has changed since then. But let's not dwell too much on thinking we would 100% defeat these "lower-calibre" teams. It's the World Cup and the next team is just as ambitious to get out of the group as our Team Melli.

Comment

Originally posted by elnino99 View Post
              It's a very interesting mentality of most forum members here, you guys seem to fear physical dominance a lot more than actually football game intelligence. That's the reason US/England will never be good, but Spain/Germany/Brazil dominate international football. They have smarter players.

Last WC: Nigeria was undoubtedly physically fitter and stronger than our players, but Bosnia had a few players with extreme game intelligence in midfield, even if he was 5'7 at best. We struggled much more agains the latter, compared to the former.

For all the fear of African teams, they seem to be the only teams we get points from.....whereas we consistently lose to European sides in WC.

Much rather have Nigeria in our group, as opposed to Denmark. I trust TM a lot more trying to combat Iwobi's pace or Ndidi's physicality, than trying to figure out Erikson
              Yeah I don't get it either man. Great post.

Comment

I remember last world cup they put USA in pot 4 even though their ranking was higher and they were eligible for Pot 3. I think ultimately it's up to the organizers. They usually put all the asian teams together in one pot.

Comment

By the way there are still 9 more unqualified teams who are yet to be decided till November playoffs

So far 23 teams have qualified for the 2018 WC

Comment

A crazy idea if you like to call it but first let' s look at the last cup:
                    We did not have enough solid players on bench to field them in the second match so the best players had to play 3 games in a row. If we had played Bosnia first and and Argentina last we could have qualified. who would have cared losing 1-0 or 4-0 to argentina.
                    if it was not or the bad ref we would have won or tied with Argentina.
                    so if we had fielded the players on the bench in the first match we would have lost as we did and we would have a fresh legged team for playing against Nigeria and Bosnia.
                    So if your players on the bench are not 80% as good as your starters then in the world cup you can suffer.

the crazy Idea:
                    Send the worst players or the first match if you are facing Argentina, Portuegal, Germany and the alike. then if your starters are solid you can win the next two matches or tie one and go to the next round. so you need to devise a strategy to advance. No team with 22 tired legs can succeed in 3 matches.
                    by the way Argentina scored ater Ando was taken out after the argentine players damaged his toe . he was very destruptive or argentina.

Comment

Originally posted by teammelli1 View Post
                      Possible scenario at the World Cup:

Iran plays attacking football against the World Class opponent of the group. Azmoun scores. Iran parks the bus. They attack like Argentina did in 2014 but we win 1-0.

Then Iran goes on to face a Panama/or a Honduras team that so many people think are easier to defeat. We play them and we lose 3-1. Iran played a good match.

The last match is a do or die against a top European team. We score first az we did vs the World Class team and are ahead 1-0. We park the bus and towards the end we concede a goal. The match ends 1-1 but we are eliminated in the group stage with 4 points.

The whole world saw what we are capable of in the match vs Argentina. That was 4 years ago. A lot has changed since then. But let's not dwell too much on thinking we would 100% defeat these "lower-calibre" teams. It's the World Cup and the next team is just as ambitious to get out of the group as our Team Melli.
                      Would Denmark end up in Pot D? If yes, then you're absolutely right. If no, then I don't get your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Babak agha View Post
                        Would Denmark end up in Pot D? If yes, then you're absolutely right. If no, then I don't get your post.
                        AT the moment they are one spot behind us.

25 IRN Iran 865 (864.56)
                        26 DEN Dänemark 848 (848.23)

On the 05.10.2017 they won against Montenegro and on the 08.10.2017 they draw against Rumania. We had a win against Togo and a draw against Russia. So I dont know how they will count this but I dont think they make so many points to get ahead of us.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AllStarMomo View Post
                          AT the moment they are one spot behind us.

25IRN Iran865 (864.56)
                          26DEN Dänemark848 (848.23)

On the 05.10.2017 they won against Montenegro and on the 08.10.2017 they draw against Rumania. We had a win against Togo and a draw against Russia. So I dont know how they will count this but I dont think they make so many points to get ahead of us.
                          That is a question for Saeid

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Comment

http://m.footballseeding.com/interna...018/scenarios/

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Comment

I think we just have to wait until Monday (the list will be published on monday right?)
                              sigpic

Comment

Update:
                                A1: Russia 563, hosts
                                2. Germany 1631
                                3. Brazil 1619
                                4. Portugal 1446
                                5. Argentina 1445
                                6. Belgium 1333
                                7. Poland 1323
                                8. France 1226
                                -------------------------
                                9. Spain 1218
                                10. Peru 1160 (Playoff Inter-continental vs. New Zealand)
                                11. Switzerland 1135 (Playoff Team 1, seeded)
                                12. England 1116
                                13. Colombia 1095
                                14. Mexico 1060
                                15. Uruguay 1034
                                16. Italy 1016 (Playoff Team 2, seeded)
                                ------------------------
                                17. Croatia 1013 (Playoff Team 3, seeded)
                                18. Denmark 1001 (Playoff, Team 4, seeded)

19. Iceland 920
                                20. Costa Rica (points open, tonight)
                                21. Sweden 872 (Playoff Team 5, not seeded)
                                22. Northern Ireland 889 (Playoff Team 6, not seeded)
                                23. Rep. Ireland 866 (Playoff Team 7, not seeded)

24. Tunisia 834 (still open, points are clear for October Ranking, most probably qualify)
                                25. Egypt 818
                                26. Senegal 815 (Qualification open, most probably qualify)
                                27. Iran 787
                                ------------------------
                                28. Serbia 748
                                29. Nigeria 721
                                30. Japan 711
                                31. Panama 670
                                31. Korea Rep. 588
                                32. Saudi Arabia (576, seems Jamaica and Ghana Friendly were not listed as official matches)
                                33. Greece (Playoff Team 8, not seeded)
                                34. Morocco 680 or Ivory Coast (qualification open)
                                35. Australia 714 / Honduras (Playoff Inter-continental)
                                36. South Africa 473 / Cap Verde 568 / Burkina Faso 639
                                37. New Zealand 256
                                World Cup 2006, Frankfurt, Iran vs. Portugal, Iranian Frontpage of GOAL Sportspaper
                                sigpic

And on the 8.Day God created Ali Karimi, and he saw he was good!
                                If Defenders were allowed to use their hands to stop Karimi
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X