Observation of Carlos' Tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observation of Carlos' Tactics

Hey guys, I wanted to post my observation here and hear your thoughts about it! I thought since it is a long post and a new discussion it deserved its own thread!

I have watched every team melli game since 2006, and this world cup qualifying campaign made me realize what a special coach we have. My favorite part of Carlos' coaching is what he does in terms of creating / using utility players, where he makes them adapt into a new position, while bringing all the traits from their previous position. This allows for seamless transitions between attack and defense. That is why some players like Taremi, (previously Masoud), Dejagah, Amiri, and Hajsafi, always play. Because they get the tactic, and they execute the new position and relay on their strengths from the previous position.

The only non-utility players are the goalie, Seyed Jalal, Ezatolahi, Azmoun (interestingly, they are all in the center of field in their position) and maybe Jahanbakhsh.

Everyone else:

Defenders:
    - Rezaeian & Ghafouri (plays as RB, but is a RM)
    - Pouraliganji (plays as CB but was a CM)
    - Cheshmi (plays as CB but was a CDM)
    - Montazeri (played as a RB but was a CB)
    - Mohammadi (I guess he is a full LB now, but I believe he was LM before) (previously he made Pouladi into a LB after he was a LM)

Midfield:
    - Ezatolahi & Ebrahimi (both CDM)
    - Hajsafi (plays LB or CDM, but is a LM)
    - Dejagah (plays as CAM but was a winger)
    - Ghoddos (plays as CAM but is a center striker/winger)
    - Masoud (for the longest time he played Masoud as LM (although it did not work)
    - Jahanbakhsh (I guess he is mostly a winger, but he sometimes plays him as CAM)
    - Torabi (winger but played as CAM today vs Togo)

Strikers:
    - Taremi (plays as LW, when he is a center striker)
    - Azmoun & Gucci (pure center striker)
    - Ansarifard (CF plays as RW)

As you can see, his main tactic is making players into utility players. With the CM/CDM's as CB's, you have faster CB's, and CB's that have excellent ball control and distribution which is rare. With the RB and LB, you had midfielders who are quick at going forward, excellent at crossing, dribble well, and can shoot from distance. The CDM take on mainly defensive duties (although he always plays with two very different CDMs who complement each other's roles), he has stirkers as wingers which greatly adds to the offensive threat, and relies on the wingers to come into the middle of the field using their physical strength, and he has one strong striker always there ready for the cross (Azmoun).

All of this heavily relies on one position, the very important CAM. Which for the longest time he played Masoud, now that Dejagah has transitioned into that role, he has really added to our counter attacking capability; and this is what is so exciting about Ghoddos!! He has better shooting, passing and speed than Dejagah today, (but not as good dribbling or ball control) but if he can adapt to the team he will be our key player, I promise you!!

Carlos is a tactical genius, and over the past 7 years he has created a team where he made players take on new positions, and guided them to fit his tactics while they learned the new position. It is stuff like this that allowed us to qualify without losing, and without conceding a goal for so long. Now we will use these friendlies to sharpen our attacking ability, and we will go to the round of 16, I am sure of it!

Also lets not forget his main philosophy that drove our success "unity". When you are united off the field, you are united on the field too (and you can see it when everyone defends, no one is selfish in attack, and everyone celebrates together regardless of who scored).

We are lucky to have you Carlos

Thanks for reading!! PFDC
    --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
    --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
    ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
    --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
    ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

great thread and very interesting observation. i've never played football on an organized level so i always enjoy the opportunity to learn more about strategy and tactics involved. i'd love to see an interview with one of CQs old assistants where they break down his approach. as fans we really have no idea where the coach ends and the players begin.

Comment

I went on a coaching event this Monday lead by Jim Ryan and Paul McGuinness, who used to coach at Manchester United's youth academy and Jim Ryan was Alex Ferguson's assistant when Carlos Querioz left. They spoke about how Alex Ferguson wanted all players from youth level to the senior team to have players that can play anywhere when they are asked. That's why they had Park Ji Sung, Antonio Valencia who plays at RB now etc. They wanted to allow their players to just play football and not feel like they are forced to be a left back for example.

That's what Querioz has brought to Iran from his time with Alex Ferguson, exactly what you are saying ^, this is where the origin of this has came from.

Comment

Originally posted by greenguy4life View Post
        I went on a coaching event this Monday lead by Jim Ryan and Paul McGuinness, who used to coach at Manchester United's youth academy and Jim Ryan was Alex Ferguson's assistant when Carlos Querioz left. They spoke about how Alex Ferguson wanted all players from youth level to the senior team to have players that can play anywhere when they are asked. That's why they had Park Ji Sung, Antonio Valencia who plays at RB now etc. They wanted to allow their players to just play football and not feel like they are forced to be a left back for example.

That's what Querioz has brought to Iran from his time with Alex Ferguson, exactly what you are saying ^, this is where the origin of this has came from.
        This is not news!! GN, Hamid Derakhshan and Mayeli Kohan already knew that!!

Comment

King Carlos will always be remembered in Iranian Football for many years to come...
          50 years down the road, we will always remember him as the greatest manager in Iran's history

Comment

we can make round of 16 if we get a favourable group
            WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

Originally posted by eerooni View Post
              This is not news!! GN, Hamid Derakhshan and Mayeli Kohan already knew that!!
              šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. I swear Iā€™m probably more qualified than them three, yet they are still allowed to coach at the highest level in Iranian football. Iā€™m only coaching in youth football still.

Comment

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. I swear Iā€™m probably more qualified than them three, yet they are still allowed to coach at the highest level in Iranian football. Iā€™m only coaching in youth football still.
                Don't forget Ghotbi - Our Korean double agent.
                "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."~Bruce Lee

Comment

Contrast to what people believe, CQ went into last match playing 4-3-3 hold. In the first half they were to slow with ball movement but in the second half with the presents of Ebrahimi in the DM role, he really picked up the pace of the game and moved the ball around from one side to another with out hesitation. IMO Ebrahimi will be a key factor for us at the WC. We will have to play more defensively than our qualifiers and he has why it takes to keep the pace of the game in our favour. Guys like Saeid and Ehsan are too slow on the ball. The only other Mdifeilder that we've had in recent times that can help build the pace of the game was Ghasem Hadadifar, which I was very sad that he did not get any playing time at the last WC.
                  "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon,"

Comment

Very interesting to know this, thank you for the insight!
                    --------------------------Beiranvand-------------------
                    --Moharrami----Hosseini--Kanaani----Amiri--
                    ------------------Ezatolahi-----Ebrahimi--------------
                    --Jahanbaksh---------Ghoddos------------Taremi--
                    ---------------------------Azmoun----------------------

Comment

I agree with your post. Excellent thread.
                      I really like carlos qā€™s philosophy. Well its a bunch of principles really.
                      1) defend first and defend as a team. Everyone defends.
                      2)versatility. We have many options at every position.
                      3) unity, loyalty like a close-knit family.
                      4) bring young players and replace our older players gradually.
                      He did all of this without right equipment. No camps no friendlies. If he had more resources imagine how much beter our tm would have been.
                      our weakest position is our GK. Beir has become very out of form. Not sure what has caused this but unless he regains his form we need to look at our other options.

Comment

Working...
                      X