World Cup Draw - How it works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bessos View Post
    The new World Cup Draw system is great news for Iran.
    Basically, this means we will avoid a group of death with 100% certainty. (For info: I consider a group of death a group with 3 powerful teams)
    Anyway, Iran is going to be placed in Pot 3, while the other Asian teams and African teams will be in Pot 4.
    However, the rule is that teams from the same confederation cannot be drawn in the same group, with the exception of UEFA. That means the only opponents we can get from Pot 4 are African teams.
    The scenario for the draw will likely be as follows:
    Pot 1 (Seeded)
    Russia
    Germany
    Brazil
    Portugal
    Argentina
    Belgium
    Poland
    Switzerland
    Pot 2
    France
    Chile
    Colombia
    Spain
    Mexico
    England
    Uruguay
    Italy
    Pot 3
    Croatia
    Northern Ireland
    Costa Rica
    Sweden
    Iran
    Serbia
    USA
    Tunisia
    Pot 4
    Egypt
    Japan
    South Korea
    Australia
    Saudi Arabia
    Ivory Coast
    Nigeria
    Burkina Faso
    As you can see, we avoid all the 2nd tier European teams. Also, only the African teams from Pot 4 can be possible opponents for Iran. That means the only Pots we really have to worry about are Pot 1 and 2. With a bit of luck, we can avoid a combo of top teams such as Germany+Spain, or Argentina+France.
    Hopefully we get a group like this:
    Portugal
    Chile
    Iran
    Egypt
    Or
    Poland
    Mexico
    Iran
    Ivory Coast
    lol
    we could end up with Brazil, Spain, Iran, Nigeria.
    CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Originally posted by inarsenewetrust View Post
      r u serious. I doubt we would advance from either of thsoe groups.
      best chance we have is Russia, Colombia, Iran, Burkina Faso
      or
      Switzerland, Mexico, Iran , Egypt.
      Get a grip man, if we're going there scared of the likes of Mexico and Chile then we may aswell stay at home.

There's not a side in pot four that's clearly superior to us and Spain and France are the only pot two sides that would be truly nasty but with Russia, Poland and Switzerland in pot one, the odds of getting a group we can qualify from are very good.

We'll have to beat them all to win it anyway so who cares if we play them in the group or the Final

Comment

The only ones that are gonna believe we can succeed are ourselves.

Fear no team. Even in a group of death.

Overtime the soccer world powers are getting arrogant. Chile fielded a pseudo B team in our friendly and we beat them pretty comfortably. If we are the minnow theres a chance we pull off upsets like Costa Rica did vs Italy/Uruguay/England.

Comment

I like your optimism guys that we will end up in Pot 3, never mind pot 2!

As it stands, we could be only a couple of spots away from getting kicked out of Pot 3 the way I see it, so the Syria tie could come back to bite us in the arse and we really can't afford bad results against Togo or Russia - both ranked way below us. So, even a tie in either of those matches will hurt our ranking further.

Obviously the best case scenario is that from the current ranking, 6 UEFA teams that are ahead of us will fail to qualify, 3 teams from CONMEBOL that are ahead of us will fail to qualify, Costa Rica will also fail to qualify and no one below us in the rankings moves ahead of us. That would have moved us to the last spot in POT 2 as the absolute best case scenario.

That scenario is of course HIGHLY unlikely as Costa Rica will qualify and the US will also qualify and potentially move ahead of us in the rankings with 2 relatively easy games. That will drop us down to 3rd place in Pot 3.

From CONMEBOL, realistically only one team ahead of us in the rankings will fail to qualify. That will move us to spot 5 in Pot 3. And from UEFA, the worst outcome is that only 4 teams ahead of us will fail to qualify with the most likely outcome being only 3. That puts us in the 6th or 7th spot in the Pot 3 with Tunisia, Egypt and even Denmark in pursuit.

Sad to say, but any screw ups in October and we could very well drop out of Pot 3.
          Last edited by Bi-honar; 09-16-2017, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bi-honar View Post
            I like your optimism guys that we will end up in Pot 3, never mind pot 2!

As it stands, we could be only a couple of spots away from getting kicked out of Pot 3 the way I see it, so the Syria tie could come back to bite us in the arse and we really can't afford bad results against Togo or Russia - both ranked way below us. So, even a tie in either of those matches will hurt our ranking further.

Obviously the best case scenario is that from the current ranking, 6 UEFA teams that are ahead of us will fail to qualify, 3 teams from CONMEBOL that are ahead of us will fail to qualify, Costa Rica will also fail to qualify and no one below us in the rankings moves ahead of us. That would have moved us to the last spot in POT 2 as the absolute best case scenario.

That scenario is of course HIGHLY unlikely as Costa Rica will qualify and the US will also qualify and potentially move ahead of us in the rankings with 2 relatively easy games. That will drop us down to 3rd place in Pot 3.

From CONMEBOL, realistically only one team ahead of us in the rankings will fail to qualify. That will move us to spot 5 in Pot 3. And from UEFA, the worst outcome is that only 4 teams ahead of us will fail to qualify with the most likely outcome being only 3. That puts us in the 6th or 7th spot in the Pot 3 with Tunisia, Egypt and even Denmark in pursuit.

Sad to say, but any screw ups in October and we could very well drop out of Pot 3.

For us to drop out of pot 3, one of these teams needs to overtake us in the ranking next month:

Egypt
            Japan
            South Korea
            Australia
            Saudi Arabia
            Ivory Coast
            Nigeria
            Burkina Faso

I don't see any of these teams overtaking Iran in the next FIFA ranking. Only Egypt stands a chance, but I'm not sure how high there chance is.

Comment

Originally posted by Bessos View Post
              For us to drop out of pot 3, one of these teams needs to overtake us in the ranking next month:

Egypt
              Japan
              South Korea
              Australia
              Saudi Arabia
              Ivory Coast
              Nigeria
              Burkina Faso

I don't see any of these teams overtaking Iran in the next FIFA ranking. Only Egypt stands a chance, but I'm not sure how high there chance is.
              Egypt have a tough match against Ghana, so I'm less worried about them than the US, Denmark, Tunisia or even Turkey. Any one of them qualifying instead of a team that's ahead of us ha the potential to knock us out.

Of course, it if we have a solid and super performance in our two friendlies which I hope we do, I think our Pot 3 position is guaranteed. Realistically, I think we'll end up as the 6th country in that Pot.

P.S. Actually you're right, Ghana-Egypt match is not until November so they could also overtake us
              Last edited by Bi-honar; 09-16-2017, 04:56 AM.

Comment

iran better win the matches vs. togo and russia, still we won´t get much points from these two friendlies, as they are very lower teams in ranking and also it is just friendly.
                World Cup 2006, Frankfurt, Iran vs. Portugal, Iranian Frontpage of GOAL Sportspaper
                sigpic

And on the 8.Day God created Ali Karimi, and he saw he was good!
                If Defenders were allowed to use their hands to stop Karimi
                -

Comment

In your opinion, is it better to play with the strongest team (highest ranked in the group) first, second, or last? Please explain your reasoning.
                  sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Originally posted by saeed_noro View Post
                    iran better win the matches vs. togo and russia, still we won´t get much points from these two friendlies, as they are very lower teams in ranking and also it is just friendly.
                    yeah we will. We have to beat a team around that level to stand a chance of advancing from the group.

Comment

Originally posted by Bi-honar View Post
                      Egypt have a tough match against Ghana, so I'm less worried about them than the US, Denmark, Tunisia or even Turkey. Any one of them qualifying instead of a team that's ahead of us ha the potential to knock us out.

Of course, it if we have a solid and super performance in our two friendlies which I hope we do, I think our Pot 3 position is guaranteed. Realistically, I think we'll end up as the 6th country in that Pot.

P.S. Actually you're right, Ghana-Egypt match is not until November so they could also overtake us
                      well then we will be rooting for ghana ! Only CQ saw the importance of this fifa rankings. Being in pot 3 will give us some chance at least.

Comment

I can't believe we could get grouped with Mexico again.

Comment

Working...
                        X