4+1 rule good for A-League and Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4+1 rule good for A-League and Australia

"Football Federation Australia's announcement to introduce a '4+1' foreign quota will reap long term benefits for the A-League and Australia's position within Asia.

All good things come to those who wait, or so we are told, and finally after years of waiting the A-League will introduce the plus one rule and fall into line with every other Asian league.

FFA announced the move today, with CEO David Gallop declaring: “The 4-plus-1 structure will strengthen the A-League by further integrating Australian football into the Asian community.”

The World Game has seen a paper that was presented to FFA early last year, outlining the numerous commercial and social benefits that would flow should the plus one rule be introduced, largely on the back of the groundwork done for the AFC Asian Cup, which hard to believe was two years ago.

That tournament opened up enormous opportunities, with Asian-Australian communities engaged like never before and the benefits were there for all to see.

Who could forget the sights and sounds from a heaving AAMI Park as Iranian fans from all over Australia, who made up the majority of the 17,712 in attendance, descended on the Victorian capital to cheer on their team against Bahrain?

And no one will ever forget Canberra Stadium being turned into a mini Azadi Stadium for the quarter-final between Iran and Iraq.

Imagine the possibilities should an A-League club sign one of Iran’s national team stars like Masoud Shojaei, Andranik Teymourian or Ashkan Dejagah?

That little has been done to keep the Asian-Australian communities engaged post-Asian Cup is a sad indictment. While some clubs do some good community work, the best way to engage these communities is to give them a hero to attach to and work from there.

The introduction of the plus one rule across Asia over the last decade has provided enormous benefit to Australian players, with new career opportunities opening up right across the continent from Indonesia to India, while it has also promoted greater movement of Asian players around the continent.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/...-and-australia

I saw this mentioned on Twitter...the person who tweeted this had a picture of shojaei in the article or in the tweet (one of the 2). I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea I'd take it over Qatar but PGL is definitely stronger team for team. Shojaei clearly has a lot left in the tank so he wouldn't be a good candidate but maybe someone at the end of their career like ando or hosseini could be a good target for one of their top teams.
    Team Meli Iran
    Perspolis FC
    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

It's fair to say all the Australian pundits were pleasantly surprised by the Iranian turnout during the Asian Cup. LOL I even remember Robbie Slater (Aussie commentator) mentioning that he has never recalled the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium (Iran v Bahrain game) being this loud!

That was only 17k Iranians. Impressive feat considering numerous Melbourne derbies and national team qualifiers have been played there in a sold out stadium.

Comment

How is the rule coming along?
        sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

isnt Reza in Aussi still ?havent heard much of gucci for a while..!

if he cant feature and score more frequently in this league then its fair to assess that he is pretty much played out and somewhat justifies CQ's decision not to use him at all @ the WC...!!? I still think he shoulda been subbed on late against Portugal instead of Karim to have a more serious go at scoring the equalizer that woulda took us to next round as group leaders..!
          personally, dont think he deserved nor coulda realistically had any bigger impact had he featured more than that @ WC, the way carlos had set up the team and our overall tactics..!! now Ghodoos on the other hand...!!!

Comment

Working...
          X