Amir Bashti at Stanford University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amir Bashti at Stanford University

I work as Director of Operations for the Oregon State soccer team which competes in the Pac12 (league for college football here in the United States), and when we were playing against Stanford I noticed a player named Amir Bashti on their team. We lost that game 1-0 in overtime, but I went over to introduce myself. He doesn't know much Farsi but is a great, upstanding guy who is extremely talented on the ball. The U.S. national team is definitely going to be pursuing him, kind of like the Beita situation. From what I saw he has impressive bursts of speed, is smart on the ball and really technical. From reading the bio apparently, he has a brother, Malek Bashti, who's a 6'1 forward playing at UC San Diego.

I talked to our head coach about him, Steve Simmons, who knew Ghotbi well when he played at UCLA and coached at South Korea and is good friends with Dan Gasper. He said Bashti is one of the brighter, more technical players in the league and is bound to have a great future. Stanford won the NCAA playoffs last year and Bashti was on their team. They're making a solid run this year to repeat.

With that being said does anyone know of any talented Iranians in US highschools or college?

Freshman year where he scored four goals, two game-winning goals and two assists in 21 games played, helping Stanford lift the trophy.

Here's his bio:

http://www.gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7033

U.S. Soccer

Called by U.S. Under-19 Men's National Team head coach Brad Friedel for the 33rd International U-20 Men's COTIF Tournament in Valencia, Spain in the summer of 2016
    Also played with the U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team at the Dallas Cup in March 2016 and was part of a U-20 training camp in Miami, Florida in January 2016
    Traveled to Serbia in September 2015 with the U-20s for the Stevan Vilotic-Cele Tournament
    Came on in the 32nd minute of the United States' 6-1 loss to France in Senta (9/4)
    Entered a 2-0 victory over Israel in Backa Topola (9/7) in the 78th minute
    A veteran of three camps with the U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team
    Was part of a 20-player roster that traveled to Medugorje, Bosnia & Herzegovina, for training camp April 22-May 1, 2015
    In December 2014, participated in the U-18 MNT’s camp in Marbella, Spain, which also included two matches against Germany’s U-18s
    Took part in his first U-18 camp in late October 2014 in Carson, Calif.
    Also a United States U-14 (2010) and U-15 (2010-11) National Team player
    Career Accolades | Career Statistics and Single-Game Highs
    Top Drawer Soccer National Team of the Week (Nov. 24, 2015)
    College Soccer News National Team of the Week (Nov. 23, 2015)
    As a Sophomore (2016) | Game-by-Game Stats
    As a Freshman (2015) | Game-by-Game Stats
    Top Drawer Soccer National Team of the Week (Nov. 24)
    College Soccer News National Team of the Week (Nov. 23)
    Appeared in 21 matches, making one start, scoring four goals and adding two assists
    Scored twice off the bench to spur Stanford to a 3-1 victory over Santa Clara in the second round of the NCAA Tournament
    Was the first multi-goal game for a Stanford player in the postseason since Roger Levesque’s brace on Nov. 30, 2001 in a 3-1 win over Portland
    Earned his first career point assisting on Jordan Morris' winner in the 100th minute against Davidson (9/20)
    Scored his first career goals in back-to-back matches with Oregon State (10/11) and UCLA (10/16)
    First start came at San Diego State (10/18)
    Missed matches against Northeastern (9/4) and VCU (9/6) while with the U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team at the Stevan Vilotic-Cele Tournament in Serbia
    High School/Club

A 2015 graduate of Monta Vista High School in Cupertino, Calif.
    Was a kicker for the varsity football team as a junior and senior
    As a junior, football team won the Santa Clara Valley Athletic League and made it to the Central Coast Section playoffs for the first time in six years
    Product of San Jose Earthquakes Academy
    Scored a team-high 16 goals for the Quakes in 2014-15, starting all but one of his 22 appearances, as the team went 23-7-3
    Earthquakes won the U-17/18 West Conference and came in third overall at U.S. Soccer Development Academy Championships in Carson, Calif. in late July 2015
    Named to the Under-17/18 Starting XI for the West Conference by the U.S. Soccer Development Academy in 2014-15
    Also made the Academy's Under-15/16 Starting XI for the West Conference in 2013-14
    2014 NSCAA Youth All-American
    Made the U-15/16 Academy quarterfinals in 2013-14, scoring a team-high six times in 25 matches
    Scored three goals in 20 games playing alongside his brother in 2012-13 to help the Quakes' U-17/18 side to the Academy playoffs
    Personal
    Born in San Jose, Calif.
    Son of Nusha and Iraj Bashti
    Older brother, Malek, plays soccer at UC San Diego
    2005 MLS U-9 Dribble, Pass and Shoot National Champion
    Fluent in French and Spanish

Awesome information! As an undergraduate student at UCLA I am sorry we had to beat you guys a couple months ago haha im just kidding.

Stanford has a high success rate of transitioning their players into the pros with both Brandon Vincent and Jordan Morris getting drafted this season. Both became regular starters for their MLS sides and have made appearances with the US national team. I look forward to seeing where his college career takes him.

Comment

good find and scouting report..!
      MLS drafts heavily from colleges every year, but considering their meager starting salaries and given that this kid is gonna be graduating from one the best universities in the country (My Personal Fave ) doubt he would see it beneficial to pursue his football career..!!??
      maybe if he becomes a big deal in the yankees U national teams and sees a brighter future for himself pursuing his game..?

Comment

Since he's grown up in the U.S. he probably identifies more with American culture (I know it's very diverse but still) and nationality. It would be wise to invite him to a TM camp if he continues to make a name for himself in the next year or two. The best way to get him to feel like he wants to represent Iran is by first acquainting him with other Iranian players and the national team play-style. It seems too early to say whether he'll be good enough, but it won't hurt to keep scouting him!
        Twitter and Instagram: @aryo__hadi

ZendebadIran!

Comment

Originally posted by ShervinJ View Post
          Awesome information! As an undergraduate student at UCLA I am sorry we had to beat you guys a couple months ago haha im just kidding.
          Stanford has a high success rate of transitioning their players into the pros with both Brandon Vincent and Jordan Morris getting drafted this season. Both became regular starters for their MLS sides and have made appearances with the US national team. I look forward to seeing where his college career takes him.
          Lol I have a buddy going down to UCLA around Christmas to talk to Jorge Salcedo and see if he can lineup a coaching job with the team. UCLA has a lot of talent-- got lucky against us here in Corvallis though with that 4-3 win

Comment

Originally posted by persiangooner View Post
            Since he's grown up in the U.S. he probably identifies more with American culture (I know it's very diverse but still) and nationality. It would be wise to invite him to a TM camp if he continues to make a name for himself in the next year or two. The best way to get him to feel like he wants to represent Iran is by first acquainting him with other Iranian players and the national team play-style. It seems too early to say whether he'll be good enough, but it won't hurt to keep scouting him!
            He's not even a professional and you want to invite him to TM? lol that's crazy.

Let's see if he does even get drafted by MLS and how he does first before saying we should invite him to team melli.

Comment

Originally posted by pdot View Post
              He's not even a professional and you want to invite him to TM? lol that's crazy.
              Let's see if he does even get drafted by MLS and how he does first before saying we should invite him to team melli.
              I think atleast making an effort to fly him out to train with the youth team could go a long way in order to see how he stacks up. Having someone of caliber like CQ reach out can make all the difference if he were to play with the national team team later on in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Hosseini View Post
                I think atleast making an effort to fly him out to train with the youth team could go a long way in order to see how he stacks up. Having someone of caliber like CQ reach out can make all the difference if he were to play with the national team team later on in his career.
                Ugh first of all US colleges are not that good. If any American player was decent he would be in Europe. So if he's not there already after he's done university he might get drafted to the MLS which in itself is highly unlikely. So comparing him to any of actual professionals in Iran under 20 or 21 team is crazy.

Comparing amateurs to professionals is a very off task. I played against many people in played in NCAA. A professional that practices 40 hours a week is way better. They make a living playing aoccer. Think about that for a second.

Comment

Since no one did it.

Amir for TM!

Comment

You're probably right, but he has shown a high level of competition at Stanford, the best college soccer team in the entire US. Many competitive colleges in the US have produced world class players who have had successful club and international careers. I can offer examples if you want. I'm just arguing it's smart to be proactive about his talent which could be potentially useful to TM.

Originally posted by pdot View Post
                    Ugh first of all US colleges are not that good. If any American player was decent he would be in Europe. So if he's not there already after he's done university he might get drafted to the MLS which in itself is highly unlikely. So comparing him to any of actual professionals in Iran under 20 or 21 team is crazy.

Comparing amateurs to professionals is a very off task. I played against many people in played in NCAA. A professional that practices 40 hours a week is way better. They make a living playing aoccer. Think about that for a second.

Comment

CQ and Gaspar needs to get to work and lock this guy up before US makes a move for him

Comment

Originally posted by Hosseini View Post
                        You're probably right, but he has shown a high level of competition at Stanford, the best college soccer team in the entire US. Many competitive colleges in the US have produced world class players who have had successful club and international careers. I can offer examples if you want. I'm just arguing it's smart to be proactive about his talent which could be potentially useful to TM.
                        Listen first of all he is an amateur.
                        Second and most important he has a 1.4%(source: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...onal-athletics) to go to the MLS. He is already 19 and still an amateur.
                        Did you guys forget Azmoun is 21 and Ezatollahi is 20. but gets paid approximately $500,000 a year (possibly)?
                        So you are comparing him to professional soccer players in Iran who are 19 and 20 and who have been professional since they were 14-15.
                        Anyways that's my rant.

Comment

My self.
                          Goale royayi: https://youtu.be/IiF_OR51xOo
                          Im on the ball at 0:38ish and had a nice sequence but teamates dont understand my intelligence
                          https://youtu.be/Af3EmSaRRyg
                          I started the goal here. Skip to minutes 2:35. I was really out of shape this game after I missed 1 month with a strain but its definitely a highlight. Im a passfirst guy.
                          https://youtu.be/_eVM6laSPLw.
                          Im sure i have many more clips im just too tired to find them.
                          Edit: Okay im not saying hes trying to go pro but just an Iranian American with D2 ambitions.
                          Edit 2: im trolling little bit
                          Edit3: tenth on U16 presidents cup regional leader board lmao

http://tournaments.usyouthsoccer.org...ys/Division+1/

Comment

Sepandi for TM

Comment

Originally posted by Sepandiiiiiiiii View Post
                              My self.
                              Goale royayi: https://youtu.be/IiF_OR51xOo
                              Im on the ball at 0:38ish and had a nice sequence but teamates dont understand my intelligence
                              https://youtu.be/Af3EmSaRRyg
                              I started the goal here. Skip to minutes 2:35. I was really out of shape this game after I missed 1 month with a strain but its definitely a highlight. Im a passfirst guy.
                              https://youtu.be/_eVM6laSPLw.
                              Im sure i have many more clips im just too tired to find them.
                              Edit: Okay im not saying hes trying to go pro but just an Iranian American with D2 ambitions.
                              Edit 2: im trolling little bit
                              Edit3: tenth on U16 presidents cup regional leader board lmao

http://tournaments.usyouthsoccer.org...ys/Division+1/
                              HABIBI FOR TM!! :-D

Comment

Working...
                              X