Russia WCQ's campaign and its advantages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NFL View Post
    ^we had Qatar last time around too. China may have just made it on goal difference, but they are not here to be pushed over. China has made huge investments in football. they are here to get result. or at least play spoiler. If Qatar is even better this time around, it just means more challenge to us. I don't think Qatar is any better or worse than last time, at least not for us.
    even if Uzbek is not as good as last time, the group is most certainly not easier than the last time. they had tough luck last time around. now they may get the luck factor on their side even if they are not as good as a team as the time before.
    Well then by the sounds of it what we can agree on here is that there is never an easy qualifying (final round) phase when we're talking about Iran. Many TM fans expected us to breeze through last time around and look at the heaven and hell we had to go through, so I'm not saying it's going to be easy but I think we're better set up for success this time around. I think CQs familiarity of football in our country and continent along with the strength of our squad makes us favorites but of course we got to prove that on the pitch, and first and foremost respect every opposition and take them seriously.
    Team Meli Iran
    Perspolis FC
    Malavan Bandar Anzali

"I will never be able to say good bye to Iran. I have a feeling of belonging to this country and to the people." - Carlos Queiroz

Comment

Current TM is far more formidable Team than it was in the final round of 2014 WC & our current final WCQ group is a small nodge weaker.
      We have now plenty of depth & youth in nearly all positions on the pitch, plus thanks to our weak competition in 2nd round, many of them have had few games under their belts and are now far more tactically in-tune and reliable performers.
      (tbh, we were super lucky to make 2014 WC, especially that vital 6 points gained through the 2 huge away wins @ SK & Uzb, ke az koon dar aavordim..!!)
      I was hopeful of a flying start and much less stressful qualification to WC18 this time around but that early optimism got dashed when that SOB goozoo Brangoh and bunch of his PP cronies ridan be initial WCQ Final round preparation schedule of CQ raft..!!
      I believe, one of the most underrated and unappreciated qualities of CQ coaching is his Incredibly thorough, and meticulous long term planning and team-prepration skills..!! In the WCQ Final round where frequently very Little divides the overall ability of a team to overtake another, PROPER PREPARATIONS Plays the most Vital Role in Success...!!
      I think with our awful short preparations camp and with many key EU based likely starter joining late, we may struggle to undo Gutter comfortably at home and somewhat likely to drop valuable home points early in this campaign..!
      i expect a a low scoring tie on Thursday probably 1-1, but hoping for a 3 points vs China..!
      We should still qualify for Russia directly with less drama as in 2014, barring further Domestic Hashieh by the same ol lot, this time lead by Ozgaleh hasood Bragoh..!! im fearful we havent seen the last of that SOB's hashie-making shenanigans..!

Comment

In such qualification campaigns coaches have two types of strategies to lay. One is of course for each game that is dictated by issues like opponents' weaknesses and strengths, away or home game, our own squad, ... etc etc.
        And the second is the OVERALL campaign strategy, like when to push and strain, when to relax and rest some key players, how the away games are laid, what kind of rest periods between games we'd have, travel matters, ... etc. etc.

Last time I had a major bone to pick with CQ's overall campaign strategy, by kicking the can (meaning points collection here) down the road which increasingly piled on the pressure to such an extent that we were FORCED into a do-or-die situation of getting the FULL 9 points from possible 9 points, in our last 3 games. Including two AWAY fixtures, one against a top asian team.
        That was very foolhardy.
        No coach or team in the world would want that situation. A slight slip up, or as in our particular case, LACK of an opponent's mistake, would have been our undoing and elimination.

That's why I think just like most established teams, we have to put in our best and maximum effort to gather points AS EARLY as possible. This way, even if we slip up or if by some ill fortune, we lose points, WE'D HAVE TIME TO RECOVER and collect points.
        Leaving things to the last, leaves NO recovery chance.

On paper, a probable route to qualification is the oft repeated ''win at home, draw away'. But that may not be enough if a couple of other teams (most probably korea one of them) win a few away games, which would throw off the above rule/calculation.

So, Keeping the syrian fixture (both games) aside (meaning we shd not be satisfied with anything other than 6 points from this fixture), we may be required to win at least one or two more away games.
        Where would these come from?
        In terms of possibility and keeping the opponent's strengths in mind, I'd say among Korea, Uzbeks, Qatar and China, China shd be our target to get an AWAY WIN.

Luckily by next week we'll know if we have mustered this task or not, away to china. If not, then we'd have to try this against the Uzbeks, who actually may even be weaker than the chinese this time around.
        In any case we need at least two away wins to SAFELY rely on the ''win at home, draw away'' mantra

Comment

Speaking of ''advantages'', I must add we could have a significant advantage at home IF THE FANS FILL UP AZADI for our home games. Especially now that its capacity has been increased to just around 80,000 ... give or take, and that I presume all our games would be free to attend. They can be imposing and intimidating if they try a little hard.

But if they fail to fill up Azadi, even a half full stadium can turn into a disadvantage for our team. Aside from lack of visible support, the opponents also feel this and be encouraged to move more free and do little bit more.

Will Tehrani fans have the responsibility to show up? Will they pose an intimidating atmosphere?
          I'm afraid their recent years' turnouts have left a lot to be desired.

Comment

If Azadi has 80,000 roaring Iranian fans it will be an intimidating fortress, and will make it hard for any opponents, for even world-class European teams to play like they normally do! If I lived in Iran I would go in a heartbeat, as Doctor Doom said the Tehrani residents have a responsibility to our nation!
            Twitter and Instagram: @aryo__hadi

ZendebadIran!

Comment

Working...
            X