Referee Ben Williams apologises for penalty decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referee Ben Williams apologises for penalty decisions

I wonder if he will concede any other errors???

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/referee...225156275.html

Referee Ben Williams has conceded he got two penalty decisions wrong in Western Sydney Wanderers' scoreless draw with Adelaide United.

Williams - a regularly controversial figure in the A-League - copped a battering on the Wanderers-Adelaide coverage and social media, after he failed to award a penalty to both teams on Friday.

In his 150th match in charge - Williams was the first referee to reach that milestone - the 38-year-old ignored spot-kick pleas in the first half from Reds defender Michael Marrone and Western Sydney forward Mark Bridge.

But after the game, Williams spoke to Fox Sports and agreed both incidents should have resulted in penalties.

Williams is one of three A-League referees who were appointed full-time by Football Federation Australia before this season.

"The way I saw it from my position, with the [Nikolai] Topor-Stanley challenge [on Marrone], was that Topor-Stanley had held his ground and the attacker had instigated the contact," Williams said.

"And I felt it was normal contact - not simulation, not a penalty, hence the no call.

"Having seen the contact now, I think that was a penalty, so my apologies there."

When asked about Dylan McGowan's sliding challenge on Bridge just before the break, Williams said: "From my position I saw the defender take the ball but I couldn't see the back leg. And the back leg is the one that probably takes Bridge and that's probably a penalty also.

"We never like to make errors but this is the way it goes and from my position that's what I saw on the day and obviously I will go back out onto the training park and work on that for the next match."

Earlier, Marrone was convinced he was brought down by Topor-Stanley after slaloming into the box and knocking the ball past the Wanderers skipper.

"I haven't seen the replay yet but I felt like I got touched," Marrone said.

"I didn't try to go to ground. I thought I got touched but he didn't give it so that's football.

"We'll take a draw tonight, we weren't at our best, they [Wanderers] probably deserved to win to be honest but it could have been a different game as well."

Western Sydney coach Tony Popovic argued his side should have had a goal just before Marrone was tripped, with Williams having ruled out Federico Piovaccari's strike for holding on Dylan McGowan.

Replays showed Piovaccari with a fistful of McGowan's shirt, as he appeared to heave himself into front position, with the grabbling continuing from both players before the striker sent the ball into the net from an angle.

"If he scores that goal I don't believe we'd be talking about Marrone going through in the box," Popovic said.

"That should have been 1-0 for us. They are both holding each other. I'm not really sure why he (Williams) pulls that back. That's a clear goal."

Are we still crying about the Asian Cup? How on Earth do you people not blame Pouladi?

Comment

I was watching this game live.

The funniest thing was after these two horrendous calls the commentator said "it's 2016, but it's the same old Ben Williams!" LOL[emoji1][emoji1]

After that team Melli fan/fox sports pundit, Mark Bosnich absolutely hammered him and demanded a response from him. he also reminded us that this wasn't the first time Williams quote "killed" a game - referring to the IRAN - Iraq match at the Asian cup.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWheels View Post
        Are we still crying about the Asian Cup? How on Earth do you people not blame Pouladi?
        It was a clear error on William's part to issue a second yellow. Yes, Pouladi must take responsibility for his actions, but a "world-class" referee should do the same. Williams clearly has a pattern of poor calls (as indicated by the article), and the more this is publicized, the less likely he is to referee crucial games in the future.

Comment

Hope he saved enough money to do something else with his life. Stick a fork in his career as a ref. It's DONE!

Comment

Good ol' Ben Williams

Comment

Originally posted by TheWheels View Post
              I agree. It was the lack of professionalism that cost us this game on our part. Why do we alwaysssssss worry about others and make up a cry story and play the victim? There should be a freakin violin playing at all TM matches at this rate. Move on people! Geez!

Comment

He should fly to Qatar, take a cab to Al Seyed Koone Sheikh Avenue where Pouladi resides and apologize to him face to face.

Which then Pouladi will invite him inside to smoke hookah and they'll watch the match together. Pouladi will play the part where he was unfairly carded. Benjamin will start to cry in regret and then Pouladi will throw his no good refereeing ass out of his house.

Williams will get run over by a bus with Carlos Queiroz advertisement on the side, where he will blow his whistle for the final time across the street from Pouladi's crib on Bin Olagh Court.

Comment

you guys need to let go

Comment

Originally posted by teammelli1 View Post
                    He should fly to Qatar, take a cab to Al Seyed Koone Sheikh Avenue where Pouladi resides and apologize to him face to face.
                    Which then Pouladi will invite him inside to smoke hookah and they'll watch the match together. Pouladi will play the part where he was unfairly carded. Benjamin will start to cry in regret and then Pouladi will throw his no good refereeing ass out of his house.
                    Williams will get run over by a bus with Carlos Queiroz advertisement on the side, where he will blow his whistle for the final time across the street from Pouladi's crib on Bin Olagh Court.
                    Holy shit, I cried from reading this.
                    You should write a PFDC story article about this.

Comment

Working...
                    X