Team Melli's largest margin victories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Melli's largest margin victories

Team Melli used to demolish the lower ranked Asian teams in the past, but most recently has not been able to reproduce its large margin victories. Why should we struggle against a country like Turkmenistan even on a bad day, taking into account our potential.

CQ says these results belong to the past( 3000years ago). Ofcourse he's trying to lower the expectations as well as avoiding an underestimation of the opponents. But one can still expect Iran to win in such encounters without headaches.

Iran 19:0 Guam - 2002 WCQ
    Iran 17:0 Maldives - 1998 WCQ
    Iran 11:0 Sri Lanka -1980 OQ
    Iran 9:0 Oman - 1981
    Iran 9:0 Maldives - 1998 WCQ
    Iran 8:0 Maldives - 2000 ACQ
    Iran 8:0 Nepal - 1996 ACQ
    Iran 7:0 Sri Lanka -1996 ACQ
    Iran 7:0 Bangladesh - 1980 AC
    Iran 7:0 Laos - 2006 WCQ
    Iran 7:0 Cambodia - 2006 WCQ
    Iran 7:0 Pakistan - 1976 AC
    Iran 7:0 Kyrgyzstan - 1998 WCQ

Comment

We also beat Jamaica 8-1 around 06-07.
      sigpic ABIETEH

Comment

CQ is totally right. Unfortunately some people, especially our old timers, are living in the past and don’t want to recognize that the gap is not that big anymore. Even the top 3 best Asian teams (Japan, South Korea, Australia) won’t beat many of those "low" ranked teams by such a score line anymore. Telling CQ that we once beat Guam 19-0 is totally irrelevant and he has the right to answer like that.

Of course CQ exaggerates at times and makes the opponent look stronger than they are, but that’s his tactic and he is a master when it comes to playing psychological games. Still this is not an excuse and I am not saying it's ok to struggle against these teams, but I rather blame it on our players and our mentality overall. How often did we struggle against minnows, but suddenly rise up against bigger teams? Not only in football, it’s somehow in our culture these days.... Good to see CQ wants to change that by respecting every team, no matter how small & weak they are.
        Formerly known as Persianking!
        Follow me @
        instagram/iranscout
        instagram/nariman_iranscout

Comment

Originally posted by GolfePersique View Post
          Team Melli used to demolish the lower ranked Asian teams in the past, but most recently has not been able to reproduce its large margin victories. Why should we struggle against a country like Turkmenistan even on a bad day, taking into account our potential.

CQ says these results belong to the past( 3000years ago). Ofcourse he's trying to lower the expectations as well as avoiding an underestimation of the opponents. But one can still expect Iran to win in such encounters without headaches.

Iran 7:0 Pakistan was at the 1974 Asian Games in Tehran

May I also add

Iran 6:0 Bahrain 1974 Asian Games
          Iran 6:0 Bahrain 2014 WCQ

Comment

Originally posted by GolfePersique View Post

Iran 9:0 Bangladesh - 1982
            Iran 9:1 Pakistan - 1969
            Iran 8:0 South Yemen - 1974
            Iran 7:0 Palestine - 2011
            Iran 7:0 Pakistan - 1992
            Iran 7:0 Pakistan - 1970
            Iran 7:0 Pakistan - 1974
            Iran 7:1 Philippines - 1984
            Iran 6:0 Singapore - 2009
            Iran 6:0 Taiwan - 1993 June (WCQs 94)
            Iran 6:0 Taiwan - 1993 July (WCQs 94)
            Iran 6:0 Bahrain - 2011
            Iran 6:0 Bahrain - 1974
            Iran 6:0 Nepal - 1986
            Iran 6:1 Tajikistan - 2012
            Iran 6:1 Qatar - 2008
            Iran 6:1 Laos - 1998
            Iran 5:0 Pakistan - 1993
            Iran 5:0 Tajikistan - 1998
            Iran 5:0 Lebanon - 2013
            Iran 5:0 Bangladesh - 1984
            Iran 5:0 Thailand - 1984
            Iran 6:2 South Korea - 1996

Comment

Ahh the sweet victories of days past......

But let's be honest, you don't see such scores that often anymore, no matter in which part of the world. The gap in football has become much smaller. Netherlands is now struggling against minnows such as Iceland. So this is not just an Asia issue, let alone an Iranian issue.

The days of regular thrashing are over, no matter in which part of the world the football is played.

Treat every game as the WC final. That mentality is necessary now more than ever.

Comment

^ Give us Bhutan, Mongolia or Macau and we produce the same results all over again!

Comment

We're not expecting another 19-0 scoreline, but if the likes of Syria (spot 151) can beat Afghanistan (spot 142 in the world) by 6 goals then I don't think it's crazy to expect TM to beat the likes of India (spot 171) and Guam (161) by at least 3 goals as well.
                  Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

I am about to slash my wrists that we need to recall past games with a lot of goals to pump up vs an opponent like Guam.

IRI's politics is no different than handling a pressure cooker ..... As the pressure builds up, you slowly let the steam out just a tad bit so that you don't see overflow, and once the pressure from below is less, you put the lid down again and raise the temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali.Karimi79 View Post
                      I am about to slash my wrists that we need to recall past games with a lot of goals to pump up vs an opponent like Guam.
                      Isn't it funny, how a couple of years ago people like DD were saying that at the rate we're going in lowering our expectations, we'll be saying can we really beat teams like Maldives and Guam (I specifically remember that name thrown out)?! And here we are doing just that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Amin_ View Post
                        We're not expecting another 19-0 scoreline, but if the likes of Syria (spot 151) can beat Afghanistan (spot 142 in the world) by 6 goals then I don't think it's crazy to expect TM to beat the likes of India (spot 171) and Guam (161) by at least 3 goals as well.
                        Our team is in transition since our Golden Generation are almost gone (except Ando and Husseini), so an uncertainty period is natural to be expected. In my opinion we are at this period. South Korea went through the same when their 2002 team players went through retirement. Australia and France experienced the same thing. Consequently, we need more time to have our solid form back again.

In a side note: Our team tactics at the moment are based on solid defense and fast counter attacks. This system is good for playing against stronger teams such as Argentina, Germany,... but it has a major flaw against weaker team which want to employ a park the bus tactic. If we can not draw their team into our half of the pitch then counter attacks are futile and we end up with countless draws against weaker teams or victories with 1 goal difference. CQ should have a more attacking arsenal for park the bus minnows at his disposal.

I give CQ enough time and space so he can experiment with new players and tactics to find the most suitable ones for our team. As you can see he has been experimenting with the team since WC 2014. We had excellent new comers in AC 2015 and our friendlies in March. He went so fast on rejuvenating the team against Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan on our demands which we saw the backlash in our last WCQs. We still need experienced oldies to put team in a solid shape and pass on their knowledge to the youngers. A combination of experience and youth can give us good results.

What I learned from our match in June was that we can not just replace most of our veterans with some young talents and expect the team to work smoothly. It needs time and more matches (friendlies, camps, official) to get our team ready for WC 2018 and we are only at the beginning.

What matter is to not flop on early stages despite our transitional condition, and for that I hold CQ and IFF accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bi-honar View Post
                          Isn't it funny, how a couple of years ago people like DD were saying that at the rate we're going in lowering our expectations, we'll be saying can we really beat teams like Maldives and Guam (I specifically remember that name thrown out)?! And here we are doing just that!!!
                          bi honar jan in all fairness, i think the only reason members are nervous about this game, is because we dropped points against turkmenistan, i think that was just a fluke and we will win this game comfortably

Comment

Originally posted by irani8perspolis View Post
                            bi honar jan in all fairness, i think the only reason members are nervous about this game, is because we dropped points against turkmenistan, i think that was just a fluke and we will win this game comfortably
                            Nervous is okay Irani jaan (I'm personally nervous before every TM match), and occasional screw-ups like the Turkmenistan match happen. But that doesn't mean that we should be lowering our expectations of TM to the point where we're questioning whether they're capable of a couple of 3 goal margin wins against Asia's lowest ranked teams or be happy with a couple of 1-0 or 2-0 wins against Guam and India IMHO.

I don't know about everyone else, but my minimum expectation for these two matches is two victories with at least a 5 goal margin combined, based on the quality of our players and our history and status in Asia versus the teams we're playing and because we're facing Guam in Azadi.

That's not to say that two victories and a combined 4 goal margin is total failure, but it is below my expectations (and many fans I think). Having said that, I would consider anything less than 6 points from these two matches a failure, necessitating a total reevaluation of our situation before it's too late and we have a mountain to climb just to make it to the next round like we did under Daei in 2010 qualifying.

Comment

We need to score 30 goals against Guam. No more philosophy.

Comment

Working...
                              X