World Cup 2018 Qualification Gets Under Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Could be good for Asia´s development when they can face better international competition during the WC. Especially countries like Iran which rarely get any good friendlies.
    But as of late we've been qualifying anyway so it really doesn't impact us.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

48 teams in the world cup is ridiculous. With 32 teams, there are already enough minnows. Some of the teams don't even deserve to qualify. Imagine having more Asian teams. Asia was so bad in the 2014 world cup but trust me, this world cup alone Asia will be embarrassed even more by the likes of south korea and saudi's. Imagine having teams like qatar, uae, thailand etc. make the world cup and get thrashed 8-0.The only reason this 48 team idea is being pursued is to make more money off the world cup for all the sponsors. There is no other reason for 48 teams to be in the world cup.

Comment

Next summer is the last proper World Cup in my eyes.

2022 in winter in bloody Qatar of all places, and 48 teams since 2026 will kill all the joy and excitement of qualifiers.

UEFA is already ready to implement the nations league from 2018, an interesting twist to add make qualifications a bit more exciting.

I'm honestly sick of getting Korea and arab teams. We haven't even drawn Japan and Australia in over 10 years.....in an ideal shake-up for AFC qualifiers, New Zealand joins AFC, and Kazakhstan/Turkey/Israel return as well. Then it'll be a lot more competitive

Comment

Originally posted by elnino99 View Post

2022 in winter in bloody Qatar of all places, and 48 teams since 2026 will kill all the joy and excitement of qualifiers.

UEFA is already ready to implement the nations league from 2018, an interesting twist to add make qualifications a bit more exciting.

I'm honestly sick of getting Korea and arab teams. We haven't even drawn Japan and Australia in over 10 years.....in an ideal shake-up for AFC qualifiers, New Zealand joins AFC, and Kazakhstan/Turkey/Israel return as well. Then it'll be a lot more competitive

Spot on.
          Also the UEFA Nations League will effectively kill most friendlies with European teams.
          Basically Iran is going to be stuck playing more and more with Asian teams because its going to be rare to get friendlies with decent CAF, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF countries.

Comment

Originally posted by elnino99 View Post

Israel is the last team I want returning unless we play them in Azadi and not this neutral site BS in Oman like we do with Saudi

Comment

Since IR doesn't recognize them, we wouldn't even play them let alone at a neutral venue.

Worst part is, TM would either get disqualified /IFF would be banned for mixing politics with sports like that. Best case scenario would be no ban but automatic forfeits by Iran to Israel for refusing to play them.

Unfortunately, Iran is not going to recognize Israel anytime soon, therefore Israel moving back to Asia for qualifications would have dire consequences for our beloved TM.

Originally posted by naderb94 View Post
              Israel is the last team I want returning unless we play them in Azadi and not this neutral site BS in Oman like we do with Saudi

Comment

Originally posted by AminGP View Post
                Such a bad feeling man. It sucks.
                I remember being in a denial, thinking Korea DPR would boycott South Africa 2010 or just drop out for some reason. Which would qualify Saudi Arabia and make us 3rd to play Bahrain in the playoffs. But that was just a dream

Yeah it was a very shitty feeling.. I cried and stayed in my room the whole day through to the next. Hopefully it won't happen in the next 4-8 years. There's always that fear after Carlos is gone..

Comment

I think based on IFF money issues we wont have friendlies until we get the seeding done...they will just have a training session unless they find another cheap high ranked team that really is worthless to play

Comment

Would be great to have Turkey, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Georgia, and Azerbaijan in AFC. That would finally make things a bit competitive. It benefits both of them honestly. They would finally see WC action, and AFC would be a bit more competitive, plus more of these type of teams in AFC means less Arab influence as well. Having Turkish teams in ACL would be pretty weird though, so used to seeing them in UEFA competitions

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                      But as of late we've been qualifying anyway so it really doesn't impact us.
                      We qualifiy but we still struggle when we play against decent teams.

Comment

I like the idea of 48 teams because I think in nearly 9 years, more countries will develop football and infrastructure. In Asia we have to count on China and India. India is progressing. Asia will send 8 teams fix, and 2-3 can qualify via playoff format.

The only bad thing is, that if you finish in group of three teams last, you are out with just 2 matches. we have one more K.O. final.

In general I think a World Cup with 48 teams is the absolut maximum and was the aim that we should have reach and in the future 48 out of over 200 teams will be in the World Cup, which is not even 25% of the world, but it is a very good idea.
                        World Cup 2006, Frankfurt, Iran vs. Portugal, Iranian Frontpage of GOAL Sportspaper
                        sigpic

And on the 8.Day God created Ali Karimi, and he saw he was good!
                        If Defenders were allowed to use their hands to stop Karimi
                        -

Comment

why are u guys complaining about 48 teams, It benefits Iran and not only that way more games to watch with friends and family, Plus more countries will be happy, Last night my friend from Peru was crying just cause they might be in after 28 years first time in his life he will watch them play in world cup
                          WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

Crazy, feels like yesterday PFDC talked about possible groups for WC 2014 in Brazil. Can t believe how fast time is running....

Comment

Originally posted by Ehsan 22 View Post
                              Crazy, feels like yesterday PFDC talked about possible groups for WC 2014 in Brazil. Can t believe how fast time is running....
                              The days of our life are passing us by my friend
                              WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

Originally posted by persiangodfather View Post
                                why are u guys complaining about 48 teams, It benefits Iran and not only that way more games to watch with friends and family, Plus more countries will be happy, Last night my friend from Peru was crying just cause they might be in after 28 years first time in his life he will watch them play in world cup
                                He was crying because there is something to cry about! Qualifying isn't as easy for some teams and is seen as an achievement (including us).
                                Once it becomes 48 teams it won't be that hard to qualify and you'll never have that crazy passionate joy of qualifying or cry tears of happiness like your friend

Comment

Working...
                                X