X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran insists players do military service - Pooladi

"Iran insists player does military service

January 28, 2015, 12:38 am

The Iranian army has told ill-fated international footballer Merhdad Pooladi, sent off in last week's Asian Cup quarter-final with Iraq, that he must do his military service or be dropped from the squad.

Pooladi, 27, a defender with Qatar's Al-Shahaniya, had reportedly said he is happy to come home and do his 21 months of obligatory service but needs to negotiate an end to his contract.

Pooladi almost missed the trip to Australia in December for the competition because he had been found in possession of a false military card.

These cards, issued when a man has completed his service, are essential for marrying, buying a home or obtaining a visa.

But Iran national coach Carlos Queiroz insisted that his participation was crucial, and Pooladi was allowed to travel.

In the end, all was for naught.

Pooladi was sent off in the first half after receiving two yellow cards, and Iraq won 7-6 on a penalty shootout after the sides were tied 3-3 at the end of play.

General Moussa Kamali, the general staff officer responsible for manpower, was quoted by the Fars news agency as saying "we will use every legal means to bring Pooladi back to Iran so that he does his military service.

"If he does not obey, he can say goodbye to the national selection."

The Entekhab news site added Kamali insisted that, if a court issued an order, the authorities would pursue Pooladi through Interpol and seek his extradition.

But Kamali also said Pooladi has apologised and has no problem with returning.

"The only problem is (the cancellation of) his contract (with the Qatari club)," he said.

"Once that is done, he has promised to return."

Of course, Pooladi has another option. Rather than do their service, men have the option of buying their way out and obtaining the military card."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...itary-service/

They don't sell it anymore? Poor lad.
    I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

Originally posted by HuSsAiN View Post
      They don't sell it anymore? Poor lad.
      Really, My cousin bought his last month!!It was like crazy expensive tho!

Comment

Pretty sure you can still buy your way, unless they agreed on something else we don't know about.

Comment

I think the stress of military service and the scandal back home affected Pooladi.

He needs to admit what he did and go back and serve his military time. I was not proud when he flopped, but no way should he have deserved a yellow for what he did.

Comment

Originally posted by mehdiKia15 View Post
            Really, My cousin bought his last month!!It was like crazy expensive tho!
            Dude any info on where and how much it cost him?
            United We Stand, One nation one heart one goal

Comment

You can only buy it if you are a legal resident of another country other than Iran for at least 5 years. I'm not sure if this 5 year rule changed or not, but when I bought it, it was like that.

Comment

I was at the embassy in Hamburg last week to get a iranian Passport for my German Wife after marriage and there was a official Document stating that at the Moment its definately NOT Possible for anyone to buy the military Service. The Only way you can get your "payan khedmat" is by medical issues. The Document was 2 months old.
                I bought mine 2 years ago and payed nearly 15 Million Toman at that time. Expect it to be somewhere between 25-40 Million when its availeable for sale again.

Comment

Can someone tell me if you are moaf if you only have a sister?

Comment

What about for people who have lived outside the country for most of their lives? I thought they changed the laws last year. Do we still have to do military service if we've lived outside the country for the majority of our lives?

Comment

Originally posted by scotian View Post
                      What about for people who have lived outside the country for most of their lives? I thought they changed the laws last year. Do we still have to do military service if we've lived outside the country for the majority of our lives?
                      I am sure there must be an age limitation

Comment

Originally posted by scotian View Post
                        You can send your passport to the consulate and ask them to stamp your passport where it gives you permission to travel to Iran once a year and stay no longer than 3 months.

Comment

Honestly it's so sad that people are forced to go a military in Iran. I think it should be optional like here in states. Once you turn 18 you submit your name to the selective service system and there's a draft for people between the age of 18-26 in case there's a war and they need people to go.

Comment

Originally posted by fairplay View Post
                            I am sure there must be an age limitation
                            Which is? I read 35 years somewhere but don't know the reliability..

Comment

Originally posted by amingp3 View Post
                              You can send your passport to the consulate and ask them to stamp your passport where it gives you permission to travel to Iran once a year and stay no longer than 3 months.
                              This is what I do and I never have any troubles entering or exiting Iran.

Comment

Working...
                              X