Does Shojaei belong to TM, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Shojaei belong to TM, and why?

Simple question. Does he belong to TM. And if yes, in what capacity, as a starter (as some accept it) or a bench sub?

Pleases explain why.

Btw, those who say we won despite using shojaei or such reasoning, I put this to them. If we put aside our stubbornness and accept the reality that ... AT LEAST, he is nowhere near his form that made him famous and that he is among the weaker segment of the roster, then what if we use someone else who may turn out better displays?

Just because we want to retain a 5 (am bring extremely generous here) based on that he was an 8 many years back, does it make sense to prevent others who may be better than him who could turn out 7's and 8's ?
    No. He should be dropped
    0%
    Yes. But on the substitute bench
    0%
    Yes. He must start and be fixed
    0%
    what? KC has more sexy polls. bugger this
    0%

The poll is expired.

Shojaei as a bench player would fulfill his role much more effectively.
    --> he is sporadic with stages of effective play. Having him come on as a sub may bring out one of those golden moments we see in him from time to time

--> offensively and defensively, he would waste too many opportunities if we were to play him for a full 90 minutes

--> he doesnt seem to have the breath for the full 90, though granted 90% of our team cant play 90 minutes

--> He still proves to be an asset, and until our bench depth is so strong that we have 2-3 consistent and effective replacements, i think he merits a spot on the national team

Comment

I dont know.
      I think that we def. should take him to Australia but give him the same treatment that we give to others fighting for a spot.
      i.e. he has to put on his best on display in training and receive the same strict judgement by the coaching staff. Then I would be fine with no matter what role or capacity he will be assigened to during the tournament.
      CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Shojaei is not as good as he can be but neither is he as bad as others make him out to be.

In order to better implement fast counter-attacking football, I'd replace Masoud with Azmoun in the starting XI. Masoud would then be an excellent substitute in matches that we are leading and can afford to give the likes of Jahanbakhsh/Azmoun/Dejagah a rest. After all, such will be needed in a tournament where a championship side will have to play 6 competitive matches in 3 weeks in the blistering heat of Australia. It's in these moments that he can slow down play as well as help on the defensive end.

Masoud is still an extremely talented footballer and at age 30, this may be his final international tournament (along with some other players). If nothing else, his familiarity with the team, its strategy and dynamics, and overall experience make him a much more suitable candidate to sit on the bench than, say, Rafiei. Personally, I'm more concerned about Heydari, who I think should neither have a place in the starting XI or on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Adesor Vafaseya View Post
          I dont know.
          I think that we def. should take him to Australia but give him the same treatment that we give to others fighting for a spot.
          i.
          Absolutely. Spot on.
          This is what I always ask for. And not only about shojaei. But each and every player I have ever discussed on these boards.
          There must never be any preferential treatment of any player, especially based on his name or popularity or history or where he plays. What should matter is their CURRENT FORM and SKILLS.

So if player x comes up short compared to a newcomer or and IPL player, then so be it. What matters to get the absolute best for each and every spot in the team. NOT how a famous player would feel if he's dropped.

But do you think he is put through the same criteria you mentioned?

Comment

IMO Shojaei is one of those guys that can change the game with one move. A so called "game breaker" that can turn the tide for his team.

IMO every team has space for ONE of those players. We can't have too many "Shojaeis" on this team, but Masoud is enough. Shojaei is too skilled at too many things to be left off the team. Deadballs, technique, shooting, forward through balls, one touch, vision, etc.... he may not display it consistently enough, but I think his skill in these areas is so valuable that the cost of his inclusion is less the than benefits.

Should he start of be a sub is a question that, at least IMO, depends entirely on the team we are playing at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
              But do you think he is put through the same criteria you mentioned?
              Probably not. And probably beacuse of experience factor in the past. However, today, there is now an end to the experience factor as we do have other youngsters with European experience (i.e. Jahanbakhsh and Azmoun) and therefore the selection criteria have to be revised i.e. equal to the same criteria of Azmoun and Jahanbakhsh and others...
              CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ando Teymourian View Post
                IMO Shojaei is one of those guys that can change the game with one move. A so called "game breaker" that can turn the tide for his team.
                IMO every team has space for ONE of those players. We can't have too many "Shojaeis" on this team, but Masoud is enough. Shojaei is too skilled at too many things to be left off the team. Deadballs, technique, shooting, forward through balls, one touch, vision, etc.... he may not display it consistently enough, but I think his skill in these areas is so valuable that the cost of his inclusion is less the than benefits.
                Should he start of be a sub is a question that, at least IMO, depends entirely on the team we are playing at the time.
                1-
                Yes. Spot on. With one move he can change the course of the game. Such as his dumb dribble that led to the turnover and almost cost us a goal!
                Absolutely.

2- today?
                Or are you merely referring to what he USED TO BE several years back. Seems the latter to me.

You mention thīgs like ''deadball' or technique, through pass'', ... (which were true if we're reminiscing of years ago) and I see only turnovers and mis-passes, slow, failed dribbles of TODAY.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor DOOM View Post
                  1-
                  Yes. Spot on. With one move he can change the course of the game. Such as his dumb dribble that led to the turnover and almost cost us a goal!
                  Absolutely.

2- today?
                  Or are you merely referring to what he USED TO BE several years back. Seems the latter to me.

You mention thīgs like ''deadball' or technique, through pass'', ... (which were true if we're reminiscing of years ago) and I see only turnovers and mis-passes, slow, failed dribbles of TODAY.
                  If you start a thread, then at least don't turn it into what you want. You asked, and I gave my thoughts.

And yes, even today I think he has those traits. Are they as good as they were before? No? But is that the question we are asking? No.

We all know Shojaei is not the same as he was. But in my opinon he still offers enough that warrants his inclusion. Do Khalatbari and Sharifi offer enough to be included in to TM? Of course. Unfortunately only 23 can be invited.

Who knows, maybe Shojaei won't even make the final 23 to Australia. We have more than 23 good players. However, as for the question of this thread, My answer is yes, either as a starter or sub, depending on the game.

Comment

AW: Does Shojaei belong to TM, and why?

Yes, belongs to TM and is among the 15-16 players competing for a starting slot depending on form.

He's a technically extremely gifted versatile offensive allrounder able to assist and score out of nowhere, win freekicks, hold on to the ball in situations he faces multiple markers and lacks support.

He also is taller than alternatives like Khalatbari, am important attribute in set pieces.

Additionally he is used to play his part in a tightly organized defensive block, other than the spoiled brats from IPL.

All in all it is a package barely any other player brings in Iran and it perfectly suits Queiroz's tactics.

Comment

He sould not have been the starter for the past 3 years
                      But to come of the bench for 20-30 minutes

Comment

some games he is very effective at drawing fouls, his set pieces and also deadly. I think he was very poor last game. but I watched some of our qualifiers again and he won us a lot of free kicks in dangerous spots.
                        AKP Parti, Turkiye - Haj Bernie Sandersoglu

Comment

Well the coaches think he should be there and start. Unfortunately Shojaie or any of other current options cannot fill the AK8's shoes in that position.
                          .... At the end I am nothing other than ordinary

Comment

Well massoud is not what he once was, yet he can still be effective with his deadly passes or set pieces. Since he is not as fast as before with his movements I will not start him. If needed CQ can bring him within the last quarter of the game where opponent is tired. In that kind of environment Massoud can be much more effective for TM.

Comment

I wish he could have pulled off a game for team melli like When he faced Valencia with Osasuna. He has served team melli but I feel his place is on the bench now.

Comment

Working...
                              X